Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Jim Starlin refuses to work with CGC2834

Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater, there are laws on the books that address the use of another's name or likeness, but it's the artist's prerogative whether to enforce them.
Post 201 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
From his various FB posts, it sure sounds like Starlin is "anti-signature series coffins" in general, not just CGC. He may not be aware that CBCS even exists.

I suppose the moral of it all is just that he should have been treated respectfully. CGC should have explained better why he couldnt have the person's information, and found some kind of common ground before it escalated.

Pretty sure Starlin would have been a fan of CGC had Zach been there to take his complaint 😉
Post 202 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
drchaos, I agree with you. Those who do not know - ie have zero expertise - and seek to feel reassured on what ever level they are playing on, by all means, go for it.

Can I get a witness?

Again, I reiterate, for the umpteenth time over the years, I have never had anything against the concept of 3rd Party "certification" for those who think they need such a service.

but what many of us find humorous in a way is how the term "grading" is now used interchangeably with getting a book CGC'd.

As in if a book is not slabbed, it is not graded.

That is simply silly. How did comics fandom survive for decades prior to all this brou-ha-ha?

Back on topic as it were, if one actually "reads" Jim Starlin's words on his Facebook page, his ire was raised by the sheer arrogance of CGC types brushing him off.

It had nothing to do with the five or ten dollars of the two comics in question.

Post 203 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattness
@Jesse_O I wish a couple of these members would get a permanent vacation. This board would be much more enjoyable and you wouldn't have to waste your time repeatedly writing warnings.

Agreed.
Post 204 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Poof
Post 205 IP   flag post

Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Poof

Did a post disappear?
Post 206 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Poof

Did a post disappear?

Looks like a few pages did (but not enough). And rightly so. Glad to see the Mods are on top of things.
Post 207 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Wow that took a while to catch up but clearly I missed something in the middle
Post 208 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
The only thing in the middle was nougat.
Post 209 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
The only thing in the middle was nougat.

What????
Post 210 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Candy 🍬 joke
Post 211 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user

Post 212 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user

Post 213 IP   flag post
Unless emphasis is placed on READING then the hobby may very well dies with the Next Generation. We are already seeing signs of same building an ever bigger picture of comics reality. Words of wisdom from an old man 50 years on inside this hobby full time self employed. ALL manipulated manufactured commodity built up on a false foundation finds Newtonian apple Gravity. History Stipulates. Tulip Mania is real life madness of crowds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq6rusc_EjM
Post 214 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
anyone else see this?

www.jimstarlin.com
Post 215 IP   flag post
@jimmylinguini did CGC just buy Starlin's name domain or is Starlin playing a joke?
Post 216 IP   flag post
My fun post was removed
Post 217 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylinguini
anyone else see this?

www.jimstarlin.com

lol
Post 218 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@jimmylinguini did CGC just buy Starlin's name domain or is Starlin playing a joke?

Someone sent this to me on facebook and they claimed to do it.
Post 219 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

That person or CGC?
Post 220 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
@BLBcomics, I enjoy reading your posts. Always insightful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
@BLBcomics spot on again... as always. "Fear" is a great adjective to describe

Thanks guys. After 50+ years doing this comics gig with 45+ full time self employed and dozens of boxes of research data on the business history books I was working on I got side-tracked from, I have no other agenda than documenting truth over the course of 170+ years of comics business history which has now been gleaned via archeology techniques.

Hopefully Comic Book Store Wars will stand as a testament to hundreds of friends made along a 50 year path as this hobby stumbled along and seems at times still trying to figure out how to grow up.

Began comics shows in 1967 having been set up well over a thousand of them before medical issues saw curtailment by April 2012 Wondercon LA being my last one. Co-hosted my first one April 1973 in the ASUC building on the UC-Berkeley campus. It's focus was creator owned royalty paying comics.

Comic Book Store Wars goes in to a lot of depth on many levels of the comics business origins of the Direct Market which I am chopping off with the collapse of the DM post Marvel buying Heroes World trying to force a monopoly. And Paul Levitz sitting down with Steve Geppi to forge a survival plan. They saved the comic book store world then.

And again I applaud CBCS entering the fray restoring ethics in to this sliver of the comics world. Peace.

Post 221 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That person or CGC?

That person. I am confused why you guys think CGC or any grading company for that matter, would try to turn this into a joke.
Post 222 IP   flag post
I don't think it is a joke. That type of activity causes legal action.
Post 223 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That person or CGC?

That person. I am confused why you guys think CGC or any grading company for that matter, would try to turn this into a joke.

They wouldn't, especially with litigation on the table now
Post 224 IP   flag post
Litigation over what? Not violating their own privacy policy? CGC is guilty of having bad customer service and bad corporate leadership, but I fail to see grounds for litigation. In this case at least.
Post 225 IP   flag post

Post 226 IP   flag post
Quote:
Litigation over what? Not violating their own privacy policy? CGC is guilty of having bad customer service and bad corporate leadership, but I fail to see grounds for litigation. In this case at least.

Exactly. I took the removed pictorial joke as a SNL (as in Sat Night Live) type fun joke as all this Witness Protection Verification stuff is just a bit too serious which is why so many are pausing for station identification WHY they collect. To each his own. Freedom. Perception becomes Reality even if not built on a solid foundation.

I watched Jim Starlin draw this in our family comics memory book Christmas Day 1974 in my house then in Alameda Calif. Do I "need" a witness to verify authenticate the Sig much less the drawing and coloring job?

Post 227 IP   flag post
Quote:

Not yet but if this cease and desist is violated then perhaps he will have cause

Post 228 IP   flag post
So somebody completely unrelated to Starlin or CGC not only bought Starlin's domain name, but then made it mirror CGC? Now that person is risking litigation for sure.
Post 229 IP   flag post
I found it interesting that the person didn't do the privacy protection when buying the domain.

Not sure how it would be lawsuit worthy though.
Post 230 IP   flag post
600707 264 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?