Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Jim Starlin refuses to work with CGC2834

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Its just about impossible to differentiate between a collector wanting a yellow sig and someone looking to sell it. Good policy would be free for minors, charge the adults. I cant imagine *most artists are extremely well off, and they deserve a piece from anyone making loot off their signature.
Post 76 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I love my hobby.
Such a beautiful thing ... truly
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@Logan510 they witnessed the transfer of chain of custody from the signer to the customer. Which is fine, the signer isn't going to forge their own signature, duh. If you were to actually go down the path of logic that you are attempting to make then it wouldn't even be possible for AWs like CFP to crack and press yellow labels, which he does regularly. He didn't witness the signature did he? No, but he witnessed the chain of custody while the book was removed from the slab. His word is the guarantee because he has the trust of CBCS.

Oh, I know what happens at cons, I've particpated and been a witness. No one said the signer would forge their own signature, that's so stupid I'm not even sure why you've said it a couple of times.

I think you're bright enough to see that if someone is paying for an authenticated, witnessed signature, it would be kind of nice knowing that someone approved by the company actually witnessed the signature taking place...and yes I know that doesn't happen frequently.

Begs the question, does CBCS allow books to be dropped off and signed without a witness actually seeing them signed?

Oh, and if I was Starlin, since I wasn't going to work with CGC any longer I'd have taken a big stack someone dropped off and had someone else sign them. Then return them. 10 days later I'd let people know what happened to throw a wrench in the entire yellow label program.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Ummmm, the slab crowd all gah-gah over this new fad scam of "witness" to sigs being entombed in plastic coffins is far far far from "half" the "fan" base. More like maybe 10%.
Post 79 IP   flag post
@Towmater love your thinking!!!
Post 80 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
@Towmater love your thinking!!!

Thanks!
Post 81 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@BLBcomics the percentage don't matter. It's the principle. If customer A wants to plastic entomb their property which they paid for so be it. They should not be treated differently from any other customer.

It would be like Starbucks asking me what I intend to do with my coffee. Drink it? No, I'm going to go use it in a modern art project. Oh really? That'll be an extra $20!

It's no one's friggin business what I do with what I buy after I buy it.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Quote:
@BLBcomics the percentage don't matter. It's the principle. If customer A wants to plastic entomb their property which they paid for so be it. They should not be treated differently from any other customer.

It would be like Starbucks asking me what I intend to do with my coffee. Drink it? No, I'm going to go use it in a modern art project. Oh really? That'll be an extra $20!

It's no one's friggin business what I do with what I buy after I buy it.

What you write is partially true. Since you seem to be stuck on your freedom to do this or that after the item is signed, and slabbed maybe you should look at it from the creator's point-of-view. He/she should have the same freedom to signed, not sign, charge one person one amount, not charge another, or charge someone else a different amount before giving it back. It is their signature.
Post 83 IP   flag post
I think McDonald's should charge me double for their double cheeseburger. .. if the cashier witnesses my purchase. If not I should get it for free
Post 84 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I think McDonald's should charge me double for their double cheeseburger. .. if the cashier witnesses my purchase. If not I should get it for free

This makes me think of this for some reason

Post 85 IP   flag post
I never said an artist doesn't the right to charge whatever they want, of course they do. I'm saying that choosing to split a percentage of your fan base into second class citizens who must pay more than other fans simply because they are choosing to do a particular thing with their book is bad business behavior. Fans should not support bad business behavior. It's basically the artist saying if you slab you must be a flipper looking to make a buck off me, and that simply isn't true.
Post 86 IP   flag post
@JLS_Comics that is blatant discrimination!!! How dare they give me something free for forgetting the receipt while charging others in which they remember to provide the receipt! Boycott McDonald's ... and the creator of the quarter pounder! They can't charge someone and others not charge! Blasphemy
Post 87 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I never said an artist doesn't the right to charge whatever they want, of course they do. I'm saying that choosing to split a percentage of your fan base into second class citizens who must pay more than other fans simply because they are choosing to do a particular thing with their book is bad business behavior. Fans should not support bad business behavior. It's basically the artist saying if you slab you must be a flipper looking to make a buck off me, and that simply isn't true.

This basically comes from the creators not understanding why most of us fans are getting books signed and graded. And what services the grading companies provide and what the customers are getting for their money.

I like and respect Jim Starlin. I believe that he and all other creators have every right to charge what they deem is fair, charge more for witnessed signatures if they want to, can work with what grading companies they want to, or to not work with them at all. However, in reading some of his posts on the incident, he makes some statements that are either wrong or at least grossly overstated. He is being given some misinformation.

Hopefully the grading companies are making efforts to meet him and other creators, outside of the conventions, to clear up that misinformation.
Post 88 IP   flag post
I swore no more comics, then this happened. PaulPop private msg quote post Address this user
I don't even bother with this anymore. Got Steranko's a year or so ago, and even though he is a great guy and gives you about 10 minutes of his time to talk to you, he does charge. And CBCS charged to witness. And of course to encapsulate. And admission to the con itself. Even though I got a nice book, it definitely would not be considered an investment. I have more invested in it than it's worth. Best part of it was talking to the guy. He will do that for free.

I was just at Tidewater con and walked by Neal Adams booth. We made eye contact for a second. He charged me $3.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
Ummmm, the slab crowd all gah-gah over this new fad scam of "witness" to sigs being entombed in plastic coffins is far far far from "half" the "fan" base. More like maybe 10%.

Very true. Most of these outrageous prices are from a small handful of collectors. Ironically, the other 90% of us are trying to compete for their cash.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPop

I was just at Tidewater con and walked by Neal Adams booth. We made eye contact for a second. He charged me $3.

😂
Post 91 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics

Entombed? It's not as if we were talking about Jimmy Hoffa. Last I checked, any graded book could be cracked out of its plastic shell.
Post 92 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I disagree. There's a reason you're charged more for a red Ferrari Vs a white Ferrari. Ultimately it's because the resale value of a red one is significantly higher than a white one.

It doesn't cost more to paint a car red, but it does add to the overall value in the market.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Quote:

Fans = fanatics. We put up with horrible business behavior all the time from the entire comic industry, and the collecting side of it.

Post 94 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It's basically the artist saying if you slab you must be a flipper looking to make a buck off me, and that simply isn't true.

It's basically the artist saying if you slab you COULD be a flipper looking to make a buck off me, and that simply IS true.

Fixed it for ya 😉
Post 95 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
It's basically the artist saying if you slab you must be a flipper looking to make a buck off me, and that simply isn't true.

It's basically the artist saying if you slab you COULD be a flipper looking to make a buck off me, and that simply IS true.

Fixed it for ya 😉

hehehe

Nice!

"Everything has a price, but are you willing to pay that price for what you want?"
Post 96 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
red paint is expensive
Post 97 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
red paint is expensive

Did you witness the red paint job? I've heard that's even more expensive 😄
Post 98 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Charging two different fees based upon what you are perceived to do with your own property afterwards is blatant discrimination against one half of your fan base. IMO

Now it's discrimination? Good gravy.

Some of you guys are just unbeievable.

"half" the fanbase? Try again.
Post 99 IP   flag post
@Logan510 The feeling is mutual.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Logan510 The feeling is mutual.

So you're free to whine about this discrimination and Starlin is free to charge whatever he wants.

Can we at least agree on that?
Post 101 IP   flag post
He can charge whatever he wants.

He fans can like or dislike what he charges.

He fans can agree or disagree about his opinion on slabbing.

Everyone can do and think and feel whatever they want.

Kumbaya.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Works for me
Post 103 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Why don't artists offer to slab comics themselves? Problem solved. Jim Starlin Grading Company JSGC
Post 104 IP   flag post
@KingNampa there are some who have started to do so.
Post 105 IP   flag post
597942 264 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?