Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Jim Starlin refuses to work with CGC2834

Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user

Post 226 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Litigation over what? Not violating their own privacy policy? CGC is guilty of having bad customer service and bad corporate leadership, but I fail to see grounds for litigation. In this case at least.

Exactly. I took the removed pictorial joke as a SNL (as in Sat Night Live) type fun joke as all this Witness Protection Verification stuff is just a bit too serious which is why so many are pausing for station identification WHY they collect. To each his own. Freedom. Perception becomes Reality even if not built on a solid foundation.

I watched Jim Starlin draw this in our family comics memory book Christmas Day 1974 in my house then in Alameda Calif. Do I "need" a witness to verify authenticate the Sig much less the drawing and coloring job?

Post 227 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Litigation over what? Not violating their own privacy policy? CGC is guilty of having bad customer service and bad corporate leadership, but I fail to see grounds for litigation. In this case at least.

Not yet but if this cease and desist is violated then perhaps he will have cause

Post 228 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
So somebody completely unrelated to Starlin or CGC not only bought Starlin's domain name, but then made it mirror CGC? Now that person is risking litigation for sure.
Post 229 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
I found it interesting that the person didn't do the privacy protection when buying the domain.

Not sure how it would be lawsuit worthy though.
Post 230 IP   flag post

Nowadays people are sued just because. Frivolous lawsuits happen all the time. CGC's lawyers will think up something.
Post 231 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
it's not illegal to forward a parked domain. i could to it right now myself. it is a funny lol redirect though if i do say so myself
Post 232 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylinguini
I found it interesting that the person didn't do the privacy protection when buying the domain.

Not sure how it would be lawsuit worthy though.

It is a total DUH...someone making Starlin seem stupid. Have fun fighting this one at an accelerated pace.

Post 233 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
If someone else bought the domain, it could and likely would be viewed as cybersquatting. Starlin's recourse would be to acquire the domain name.

But for laughs check out the John Malcovich commercial (I think it was for GoDaddy), where he's trying to purchase a domain name that a guy with his name has already purchased. It could always be that! 😉
Post 234 IP   flag post
I love that commercial.
Post 235 IP   flag post
The thread really got quiet. Makes you wonder if this was awarded to boardies

Post 236 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
I watched Jim Starlin draw this in our family comics memory book Christmas Day 1974 in my house then in Alameda Calif. Do I "need" a witness to verify authenticate the Sig much less the drawing and coloring job?

Thats an awesome piece you have there. Perfect christmastime decoration on the wall 👌🏻

You dont need it, not at all, you are correct. But after you are gone, your kids or grandkids might appreciate it being authenticated; it could very well help them out of a financial jam should they wish to sell it. AW and VSP have a good purpose, wether it be resale immediately, retirement resale, or estate.

There are some books that I will never sell, and thus grading/slab is completely pointless; but if I die I want my kids as well off as possible, and these programs help to ensure they get the maximum amount possible for my stuff.

Starlin obviously doesnt understand this, calling us "suckers for this crazy scam". He's old school, I get it. But he still shouldnt shit on everyone for doing something that he doesnt understand.
Post 237 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

Starlin obviously doesnt understand this, calling us "suckers for this crazy scam". He's old school, I get it. But he still shouldnt shit on everyone for doing something that he doesnt understand.

I don't think that he doesn't understand. Starlin seems like a smart guy. He just has a different opinion of autographs, and witness programs.
Post 238 IP   flag post
I could very well be wrong, but from what he has written so far it sounds like he has never even heard of CGC or CBCS prior to this incident
Post 239 IP   flag post
I only summer in the winter.
Post 240 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater @shrewbeer I think Starlin has heard of CGC (and grading companies in general), but doesn't have a clear understanding of their services. I do agree that he and other creators have a different opinion of autographs and witness programs. But then again, so does a part of the comic collecting community. I know several fellow collectors that are hard core against slabbing comics.

I just hope that CBCS is in some way being proactive and trying to educate creators who will be signing books at cons that CBCS will be present.
Post 241 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Having a conversation, Towmater, spending time invested, then not knowing if posts will be deleted, why waste such time? I did not see any reason for slamming the window shut.

Not even sure what got deleted of who's postings. Don't really care. There are almost no souls here on this "board" conversing any hoot. Yet, there would be if there was a better delivery and tracking system. Just making a suggestion on that note as many others already voiced in the past.

that said, from his words JIm Starlin wrote and posted on his face book page of which the two main postings have garnered over 3000 "likes" to date in just a few days might make those in positions of Power might contemplate pausing for Station Identification

Just a thought.

Those of you inside slab profit center microcosm sub-micro-universe must realize MOST serious comics collectors have gotten fed up with being viewed upon and being treated many a time like Rubes wandering in a Carny routine(s) being bandied about as this is the only way to go regarding Witness Protection Fears being blown all out proportion.

Some sound like those saying "it's for the children" when they pontificate about all those unwashed masses who some how can not make it to a show in the USA.

Me, and I speak only for myself here on this note, I ONLY try to acquire Sigs and drawings from pros & such that are personalized.

I have yet to pay bucks for anything in this comics memory book begun back in 1974 which has seen its 250 pages filled up, nooks & crannies being explored.

Those who want bucks to make a sketch, my main interest is to document the "memory" I met him and/or her. Most of these comics creators can tell when true interest in their work is expressed. Not what is said to em, but HOW it is said.

No one has ever said "no" yet to date. I feel honored to have been fortunate to have become friends with many many hundreds of them since I began the shows in 1967.

Guys like Mike Mignola, Art Adams, Darrick Robertson, so many more, grew up in my Bay Area comics stores as kids being driven there by some very patient moms and dads.

Lessons from AmWay and/or Franklin Mint should be noted by any one bothering to read this far in to this missive.

Manipulated commodity investments always find the Newton Laws of gravity as the apples fall off the tree over time. But that is simply my opine based on studying history pushing on six decades now.

I "see" arrogance - perhaps unintended - from those who stipulate obviously Jim Starlin needs to be educated in the plastic slab game.

Huh?

ANY ONE wandering in to a comics show is having same shoved in their face from multiple dealers for years now

Stop selling FEAR - change the business model PR propaganda model.

There is a LOT of alienation going on mayhaps some of those in this insular microcosm are not aware of.

Business models mayhaps must needs to be re-explored. Just a thought.

SIDEBAR: If when I am blessed again with a killer collection of high grade Gold & Silver as in days or yore, but of course books like an Action 1, Tec 27. AF 15. FF 1,etc I would have slabbed up as that makes business sense.

And I wish to reiterate once again I LOVE the concept CBCS came on to the set bringing back ethics in to this aspect of the comics investment slice to kill the monopoly ponzi scheme tactics of CGC's owner. I know that man hired a cyber hit squad on me. And I am still standing.

I have gathered enough data to make a trek to the FBI

I have eBay investigators who scope out what they call "Intent to Disrupt" attacks in my camp stretching back to Aug 2012 whilst I was "distracted" with a daughter undergoing counting now 5 skull opening brain moving surgeries.

And a lot more. Others who have had books get damaged in-house, others who have had comics get "lost" - all with zero compensation.

Jean Bails told me after she called the owner of CGC and called me back that in her words she said to me, "He told me to basicly go f*** myself ..."

The man was rude. And all that BS some how was being twisted in to being my "fault" by Cyber Liar Trolls.

There is no "bitterness" as some have stated previously

There is undiluted unabashed anger.

I WANT to talk to a judge and jury. I will never let this go with this CGC owner. I asked my long time friend Steve Geppi what he thought his good name is worth. Guess what he replied?

Katy is healing finally as best as she is going to.

I am a firm believer The Truth wins out in the end.

Are we there yet?

In closing, mayhaps Steve Borock might find a sliver of some time for me. It's all just a box of rain.

Post 242 IP   flag post
Quote:
Having a conversation, Towmater, spending time invested, then not knowing if posts will be deleted, why waste such time? I did not see any reason for slamming the window shut.

Not even sure what got deleted of who's postings. Don't really care. There are almost no souls here on this "board" conversing any hoot. Yet, there would be if there was a better delivery and tracking system. Just making a suggestion on that note as many others already voiced in the past.

that said, from his words JIm Starlin wrote and posted on his face book page of which the two main postings have garnered over 3000 "likes" to date in just a few days might make those in positions of Power might contemplate pausing for Station Identification

Just a thought.

From my understanding, they weren't your post. Maybe I'm wrong. From your response, you seemed to have missed the fact that I'm behind what Mr. Starlin did and is doing.
Post 243 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
Bob, can you explain what exactly CGC did to you?

You talk about a book being damaged and have explained that thoroughly but you seem to be hinting at other stuff and keep saying "cgc owner" - can you please elaborate on what you're talking about?

Thanks
Post 244 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
That falls under Don't ask. Don't tell.
Post 245 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
That falls under Don't ask. Don't tell.

Hey now, that was banned; its perfectly acceptable to come out of the closet nowadays!

Im interested as well, many posts have vaguely hinted at massive wrongdoing involving all the heavy hitters with plenty of evidence
Post 246 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly. I took the removed pictorial joke as a SNL (as in Sat Night Live) type fun joke as all this Witness Protection Verification stuff is just a bit too serious which is why so many are pausing for station identification WHY they collect. To each his own. Freedom. Perception becomes Reality even if not built on a solid foundation.

You would be thankful to have a witness when a buyer files a not as described claim on ebay calling your item a fake.

If the item had a third party witness you might not even have tot take a return just because the buyer decided to change their mind.

Sure, you would never sell it but all of us pass away eventually and our beloved collectibles become someone else's clutter after we are gone leaving your loved ones with the problem I described above.
Post 247 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
$2.99 comic + unwitnessed starlin autograph = approx $5

$2.99 comic + witnessed starlin autograph to starlin + witness fee + slab fee + shipping fee = starlin saying wake up people... Ive done hundreds of shows and ain't nobody forging me. One may agree with him or one may not, but the point certainly has merit

That's all that's going on... and if you don't see his point, you're not paying attention
Post 248 IP   flag post
If you don't see that the ASP program CBCS offers not only has merit, but is providing a great service to customers who actually want and value that service...then you are not only not paying attention, you're being disingenuous.

The tone that this thread is taking toward anti yellow label slabbing is being disrespectful to our hosts here, as it is a key part of their business model. And CBCS has done nothing to garner such animosity.

If you want to bash CGC, then direct it at CGC, but don't call something that is a part of CBCS's business a scam.
Post 249 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Some of the slabbing game is a racket. Straight up. I like CBCS but both them and CGC have stuff that makes me scratch my head.
Post 250 IP   flag post
Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
One way I can see the issue of ASP/VSP evolving is if the grading companies gave a kickback to the artists for each book with their signature like a royalty of sorts.

I think if even a small amount of the ASP(maybe even VSP) fees went to the artists directly they may be more interested in this service.

Just an idea.
Post 251 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
BLBComics (Bob) asked me to share with everyone the fact that we suspended him for a week. In particular, he wanted Towmater to know that he understands that you support Starlin. He will respond to all queries after his suspension is up.
Post 252 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Super.
Post 253 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Super.

Duper.

Puttin on the Ritz.
Post 254 IP   flag post
Dont mess with the man wielding Gungnir!

Post 255 IP   flag post
597912 264 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?