Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Golden AgeComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help Needed

What does CBCS "Conserved" Label mean?2816

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
ebay.com

Thank you
Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
says on the picture - "Amateur conservation includes cover reinforced with glue" - so not restored but stopped from further degredation
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
how does one glue a cover?

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Kaptainmyke, standing O for that!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
if I was going to do it I would put mylar of something to protect the inner pages and then basically smooth on thin layers of glue so that they penetrated and stiffened the cover only. Or alternatively spray a fine mist of glue like a mounting glue used for prints etc. - let it dry and tada! Stiff cover that will not get damaged easily
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Conservation is any of a number of techniques which are designed to halt or slow further degradation of the comic. It it not considered restoration because it does not improve the comic's appearance.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
So this is from CGC but I'd imagine it would more or less apply to CBCS as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGC

Conservation Repairs
Conservation repairs are performed with the intent of preserving the structural or chemical integrity of a comic book using professional techniques and materials. It excludes aesthetic repairs such as color touch and piece fill. All conserved grades must satisfy the CGC quality scale of "A" and quantity scale of "1".

Tear seals
Spine split seals
Reinforcement
Piece reattachment
Some cover or interior cleaning (water or solvent)
Staples cleaned or replaced
Some leaf casting
De-acidification

Materials Used for Conservation Repairs:

Rice paper
Wheat glue
Vintage staples
Archival tape

The Quality/Quantity metrics they reference are as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGC

Quality (Aesthetic) Scale – (Determined by materials used and visual quality of work)

A (Excellent)

- Material used: rice paper, wheat paste, acrylic or water color, leafcasting
- Color match near perfect, no bleed through
- Piece fill seamless and correct thickness
- No fading, excessive whiteness, ripples, cockling, or ink smudges from cover or interior cleaning
- Book feels natural
- Near perfect staple alignment, or replaced exactly as they were
- Filled edges cut to look natural and even
- Cleaned staples or staples replaced with vintage staples
- Married cover/pages match in size and page quality. Professionally attached

Quantity Scale – (Determined primarily by extent of piece fill and color touch)

1 (Slight)

- All conservation work, re-glossing, interior lightening, piece fill no more than size of two bindery chips, light color touch in small areas like spine stress, corner crease or bindery chip fill. Married cover or interior pages/wraps (if other work is present)
Post 7 IP   flag post
596795 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?