Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeMovies TelevisionMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

Cited: Marvel Likely Cancelling 30 titles2798

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicbooknews.com
Marvel Comics continues to suffer from dwindling sales as it's looking likely that upwards of almost 30 titles will be cancelled.

Sales for April's issue reveal 28 titles have sold less than 20K, which is right around the cancellation threshold number.

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/marvel-comics-likely-cancelling-30-titles

Titles with an asterisk area already cancelled as of July.

CA: Sam Wilson - #21 - 18,650

Gwenpool - #14 - 17,972

Captain Marvel - #4 - 17,893

US Avengers - #5 - 17,880

Ultimates 2 - #6 -17,350

Dr. Strange & Sorcerers Supreme - #7 - 16,887

Man-Thing - #3 - 16,199 [Mini]

Hawkeye - #5 - 16,031

Totally Awesome Hulk - #18 - 16,009

Spider-Man 2099 - #22 - 15,273

Elektra - #3 - 15,113*

Silver Surfer - #10 - 15,041

World Of Wakanda - #6 - 14,547*

Nova - #5 - 14,525*

Silk - #19 - 13,524*

Thunderbolts - #12 - 13,780*

Kingpin - #3 - 13,765*

Rocket Raccoon #5 - 13,373*

Power Man & Iron Fist #15 - 13,055*

Bullseye - #3 - 12,912 [Mini]

Star lord - #6 - 12,278*

Squirrel Girl - #19 - 11,074

Occupy Avengers - #6 - 10,296

Unstoppable Wasp - #4 - 9,780

Great Lakes Avengers - #7 - 8,370

Moon Girl and Devil Dino - #18 - 7,966

Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat - #17 - 6,943*

Mosaic - #7 - 5,876*

On the fence:

Ms. Marvel - #17 - 20,881
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Saying that Marvel is "Cancelling" 30 titles is a bit misleading. The article only suggests they're likely to be cancelled because they've fallen below 20k in sales. However many actually do get cancelled and when is yet to be seen.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Saying that Marvel is "Cancelling" 30 titles is a bit misleading. The article only suggests they're likely to be cancelled because they've fallen below 20k in sales. However many actually do get cancelled is yet to be seen

I shortened the title from "likely" so I just put it back in there fer ya, brah
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
It's ok, they just released about 20 different X-Men titles to make up the difference.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I think I'm done with Marvel variants until they get an act together...might make exceptions for Dell'Otto and Kirkham. Might not.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
How in the heck can anyone keep up with the Marvel Continuity if they do that?

"hey just released about 20 different X-Men titles"

Sounds futile.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Crunkpostit private msg quote post Address this user
Long overdue. There's too many titles of the same ol same. This is why Image is killin it. They print stories that are new and a breath of fresh air. It doesnt have to be superhero to be good.

They just need to scale back and rethink some things. Maybe go back to core titles, create some new and more interesting characters? Maybe not turn outside talent away? (I think it's idiodic with the whole "If somehow we find your work and we like it we'll come to you" type of additude... Another reason why Image is killin it.) I dunno, woe be it for Marvels Ceo...
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunkpostit
Long overdue. There's too many titles of the same ol same. This is why Image is killin it. They print stories that are new and a breath of fresh air. It doesnt have to be superhero to be good.

They just need to scale back and rethink some things. Maybe go back to core titles, create some new and more interesting characters? Maybe not turn outside talent away? (I think it's idiodic with the whole "If somehow we find your work and we like it we'll come to you" type of additude... Another reason why Image is killin it.) I dunno, woe be it for Marvels Ceo...

+3 for truth.

Most of my books are IDW except Amazing Spider-man.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
Too many avengers books imo. They do need to cancel books that are really bad though. I tried to like Gwenpool, but it's really boring.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector jdangerc private msg quote post Address this user
I really think Marvel needs to go "Retro"-active. Maybe for a year, bring back the 90's interface with good writing and hire 90's artists to do the mainstream books. I always loved that corner art with the Marvel Comics logo. Get Bagley, Texeira, Lim, and throw in a Stephen Platt, Jim Lee or Erik Larsen to the mix. Sometimes just a good cover can produce a sale. But lately Marvel Comics look straight up boring. That combined with the terrible PC writing, creates garbage. And stop with all the damn variants! To be honest I would rather have ONE foil variant than 8 different boring variants.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector LeeK private msg quote post Address this user
I didn't know Marvel was still producing books.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdangerc
I really think Marvel needs to go "Retro"-active. Maybe for a year, bring back the 90's interface with good writing and hire 90's artists to do the mainstream books. I always loved that corner art with the Marvel Comics logo. Get Bagley, Texeira, Lim, and throw in a Stephen Platt, Jim Lee or Erik Larsen to the mix. Sometimes just a good cover can produce a sale. But lately Marvel Comics look straight up boring. That combined with the terrible PC writing, creates garbage. And stop with all the damn variants! To be honest I would rather have ONE foil variant than 8 different boring variants.

The odds of getting Jim Lee to work on a Marvel book are zero. Psst...he's the co-publisher of DC. I do like the idea though. Bringing back those story lines with great writing and art would be refreshing.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

The odds of getting Jim Lee to work on a Marvel book are zero. Psst...he's the co-publisher of DC. I do like the idea though. Bringing back those story lines with great writing and art would be refreshing.

Yeah I know that. I'm just saying bring back some 90's artists and throw in a heavy hitter. Get some kick ass writers and then Make Mine Marvel!!!!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
How in the heck can anyone keep up with the Marvel Continuity if they do that?

"hey just released about 20 different X-Men titles"

Sounds futile.

Ok, it wasn't "20," but it was a lot of them. Gold, Blue, Prime, Generation, is there still an Uncanny? Yeah, who can keep up with this mess?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Nostalgia is in. Bring back the 90s artists and writers to collaborate again.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Bagley is already working on one of the Spider-Man titles. Maybe the Ben Reilly title. That's some 90s goodness right there.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Honestly, they just need to clean house starting with the CEO. Wrap up ALL the titles and start fresh. Maybe The Beyonder messed with the MCU and start off where The Secret Wars (80's) ended. Maybe they have already done this? I don't know. I haven't "faithfully" read a Marvel comic since The Clone Saga.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Honestly, they just need to clean house starting with the CEO. Wrap up ALL the titles and start fresh. Maybe The Beyonder messed with the MCU and start off where The Secret Wars (80's) ended. Maybe they have already done this? I don't know. I haven't "faithfully" read a Marvel comic since The Clone Saga.

Which "Clone Saga"?

:o)
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:

Which "Clone Saga"?

:o)

I guess I'm really behind then. Lol
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Grayspeedster private msg quote post Address this user
Marvel already announced they were returning to legacy numbering, returning the characters in the top left of the cover(some here refer to as 90's look but this was going on since the 60's at the least) and also bringing back the marvel value stamp.

I for one find it insane that the big 2 think it's okay to sell me ads in my comics when the indie's don't. Saying they've done that for a long time doesn't make it anymore okay or appealing to new readers.

I would love to see a market purge from The big 2 and have them go back to the roots. Everyone, man woman and child will relate again!

Look at Alterna Comics bringing back newsprint! Not just 1 or 2 titles but a whole line up of books coming out on newsprint with "that 90's look" and they are all $1 to $1.75 per issue with a mix of ongoing and mainly mini's!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayspeedster
Marvel already announced they were returning to legacy numbering, returning the characters in the top left of the cover(some here refer to as 90's look but this was going on since the 60's at the least) and also bringing back the marvel value stamp.

Oh that would be neat
Post 21 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke I fully agree. The announcement came a few months back, I'm a member of League of Comic Geeks and someone posted it on there! I was very excited and told all my friends! Definitely has me wondering how they will factor in all the books the have been released and where that puts us in terms of the legacy numbering.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't worry if Marvel is cancellinv a title you like. They will just start again with a new first issue. Too bad your favorite character will now be a transgender koala.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
I wouldn't worry if Marvel is cancellinv a title you like. They will just start again with a new first issue. Too bad your favorite character will now be a transgender koala.

It's sad that your right
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Crunkpostit private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I for one find it insane that the big 2 think it's okay to sell me ads in my comics when the indie's don't. Saying they've done that for a long time doesn't make it anymore okay or appealing to new readers.

I would love to see a market purge from The big 2 and have them go back to the roots. Everyone, man woman and child will relate again!

Look at Alterna Comics bringing back newsprint! Not just 1 or 2 titles but a whole line up of books coming out on newsprint with "that 90's look" and they are all $1 to $1.75 per issue with a mix of ongoing and mainly mini's!

Yeah alterna is smart for doing what they're doing. If it works it works. I think people are tired of paying $4 for a comic because it has fancy paper. I miss the old pulp newsprint comics... :.(
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah alterna is smart for doing what they're doing. If it works it works. I think people are tired of paying $4 for a comic because it has fancy paper. I miss the old pulp newsprint comics... :.(

ROFLMAO. You think books cost what they do because they are not on newsprint? Did you know that when they shifted from newsprint newsprint was MORE expensive? Companies charge what they do because it is far more expensive to produce a book than it was nearly 20 years ago.

BTW retro blows chunks. Writing post '94 to about '04 was freaking terrible. The problem for Marvel and DC is that their fans always what came before and never let them move on.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Wow. Those sales numbers are much lower than I thought. I recall hearing an interview once where it was stated that the break even number for a comic to make money was something like 30K or 40K sales. Maybe it's less for Marvel with the number of titles they print each month. But still, those sales numbers cannot be sustainable for a title.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Although $4 per comic does sting, I wouldn't mind paying it if the comic was good. The old pulp newsprint would be good too. I did a few google searches and couldn't find anything about what we are talking about. Can anyone send me a link that says they are going back to legacy numbering and corner art again?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
They'll just reboot them all with a new #1 and 50 variants each.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@jdangerc clickable text
Post 30 IP   flag post
598241 78 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?