Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS GradedQuestions

CBCS Onsite Raw Grading2753

Collector Grayspeedster private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to be attending Terrificon-Mohegan Sun Uncasville, CT and I know CBCS will be there for VSP and accepting submissions for regular grading but I can imagine a lot of collectors would love to see Onsite Raw Grading available at the Cons that CBCS is at. Especially if you aren't doing onsite slabbing! I would pay $4-$6 premium on the service just to save shipping costs/time.

Please consider making Terrificon an Onsite Grading Event for either/both Raw or Slabs.

@SteveRicketts
Post 1 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
On site grading is...something that fans attending shows do appreciate. Where CBCS does onsite grading, I can't see a downside for them in offering raw as well. For those that have used grading companies for a long time, the evidence strongly suggests that graders can grade faster than the encapsulation dept can slab. So having some of the graded books going into a mylar bag and fullback board would help.

However...you might be interested in knowing that collectors that use professional grading a lot and have done so for a long time have mixed feelings about onsite grading. Because there is no doubt these on site grading events have an oversize impact on turn around times. How long it takes to get our books back.

CBCS can send a relatively small number of employees to shows where they just staff a booth. They are witnessing signatures and taking submissions, talking to people. Volunteers/ authorized signature facilitators at the show will often be helping out.

Compare that to onsite grading, where they have to send a lot more staff. Staff that grades books, staff that encapsulates books, QC, a restoration expert. There is a lot more equipment involved as well. And it's not just all these people away on the weekends - it is a couple of days of lost time traveling too.

So a lot of us are perfectly fine with on site grading being something done at just a handful of shows. What say we keep them at home cranking out slabs and whittling those TAT down. Just sayin....
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
On site grading is...something that fans attending shows do appreciate. Where CBCS does onsite grading, I can't see a downside for them in offering raw as well. For those that have used grading companies for a long time, the evidence strongly suggests that graders can grade faster than the encapsulation dept can slab. So having some of the graded books going into a mylar bag and fullback board would help.

However...you might be interested in knowing that collectors that use professional grading a lot and have done so for a long time have mixed feelings about onsite grading. Because there is no doubt these on site grading events have an oversize impact on turn around times. How long it takes to get our books back.

CBCS can send a relatively small number of employees to shows where they just staff a booth. They are witnessing signatures and taking submissions, talking to people. Volunteers/ authorized signature facilitators at the show will often be helping out.

Compare that to onsite grading, where they have to send a lot more staff. Staff that grades books, staff that encapsulates books, QC, a restoration expert. There is a lot more equipment involved as well. And it's not just all these people away on the weekends - it is a couple of days of lost time traveling too.

So a lot of us are perfectly fine with on site grading being something done at just a handful of shows. What say we keep them at home cranking out slabs and whittling those TAT down. Just sayin....

Tony, this is all very true but the advantages of subbing books at a con for onsite grading are very significant.

Add in the fact that CBCS and CGC rarely offer onsite grading at cons, to start with, for the multiple reasons that you brought up.

1)
Cuts out the chance of books suffering any damage while in transit to CBCS/CGC.

This is something that I value greatly.

2)

Cuts out the cost of shipping/insurance, both ways.

Personally, I put more value on the first reason.In fact, I have literally NEVER subbed a single book to CBCS or CGC, through the mail.

I sub ALL of my books in person at cons, wether onsite grading is offered, or not.I want to hand in my books in person, period.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
The grading companies attend lots of cons. From now through November it is nearly every weekend. And a couple of weekends in December. But they only grade at 3-4 a year. This year is the first year CBCS has done more than one on site grading. And it was I believe largely in response to be locked out of ECC and C2E2 by CGC's making an exclusive deal with the promoter of those two shows.

Shows where grading companies only attend as a "presence" to take in submissions and witness signatures take a lot less staff. More importantly you don't send graders and encapsulation staff. This type of representation at a show meets your need #1 completely and meets 1/2 of need #2.

The reason they rarely offer it is because it is whole lot of trouble and expense. Travel, hotel, meal expenses for a lot more employees. Shipment of the encapsulation equipment, extra rooms for the grading and encapsulation.

And slows everything down to a crawl back home.

I think it's great that the grading companies do on site grading 2-4 times a year. But I'd encourage them NOT to expand past that unless they intend to hire more graders, more resto experts, more QC and office staff and buy more encapsulation equipment.

Think of it like Christmas. Wouldn't be special if it was every single weekend...
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
If I was CBCS I'd be constructing a mobile command vehicle that houses every thing they need for on-site encapsulation. A CBCS Turtle Van.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
If I was CBCS I'd be constructing a mobile command vehicle that houses every thing they need for on-site encapsulation. A CBCS Turtle Van.

The CBCS Ninja Turtle Van, equipped to crack up-tight CGC graded books out of their shells.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan

Because there is no doubt these on site grading events have an oversize impact on turn around times. How long it takes to get our books back.

100% agree with that. I don't get why those that attend a con get to jump to the head of the line and NOT pay for it while those of us who have waited and paid a very similar price don't get that added value on our orders. If you want grading at a show then those that seek that service should have to pay 1-Day price listed for that service.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

DARTH LEGO's mobile command grading vehicle.
Post 8 IP   flag post
598066 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?