Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop Culture

Favorite non Marvel non DC comic character?2745

Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
The new thread about favorite comic story arcs is a really great sharing idea. I'm curious as to see which indy comic book character is CBCS favorite. I'd love to hear your favorite or multiple favorites, maybe how you discovered them.

Mine is fairly straightforward since it's the character I have the most copies of. I would have never guessed the Savage Dragon would end up my favorite. I got into collecting as many here did, handed a stack of comic books by my Uncle. I saved my allowance and yard work money to buy Spider-Man, Hulk, and Fantastic four mostly. Of couse I ended up with various other DC/Marvel characters as well.

When I got back into collecting, the DC/Marvel character explosion had occurred. I started adding indy comic books based on cover art. When I first saw Savage Dragon I thought it was just a rip off of the Hulk. But when I read it, I found the character was hilarious, stories a bit wild and fun. I liked how the character was drawn, he could be very different from book to book yet always clearly the Savage Dragon. One day I went into a newly opening Used Book store. They were throwing out product onto racks randomly to kickstart sales. I went over to huge comic book shelves where they had dumped out nearly 200 Savage Dragon comics. They were all bagged and boarded and only $1 a copy. They appeared to have never been read. Since I had already decide to collect this character, this was a no brainer decision. I loaded the entire lot into my cart and fried nearly $200. So by default, my vote would be Savage Dragon. Yours???
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I'd have to give you a hybrid character. He started out as an independent character. When Jim Lee sold Wildstorm to DC he became a DC character. His name is Cole Cash, a.k.a., Grifter.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Jughead.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
Roxy "Freefall" Spaulding from Gen 13....... even though DC owns Windstorm now. lol.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector suckerv private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtoddington
Roxy "Freefall" Spaulding from Gen 13....... even though DC owns Windstorm now. lol.

Love me some Roxy, but I'm a sucker for the redheads, lol.

Mine is probably Atom Eve
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Faith from Valiant.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
Kevin Keller
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Favorite non Marvel/DC would have to be Spawn for me.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
@suckerv yeah...... I've gotten to having a thing for redheads too. But I guess I always felt bit sorry for Roxy. Though i do like the rocker look! lol.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Red Sonja
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Vampirella
Post 11 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
clickable text

I enjoyed Cutter and all when the books first came out.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
Red Sonja

Definitely one of my favorites.

Does anyone know how Dynamite acquired the rights to Red Sonja? Did they purchase Conan & she was just part of the deal since she originated there?
Post 13 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I love this topic. Now we get to talk about my favorite comic book hero above all others.....

1936. The first costumed masked super hero, ever. The Phantom.

Before Superman. Before all others. Before Mandrake.

"Superheros: Decoded" missed the mark on that one.

Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector 1nOnly private msg quote post Address this user
I am a huge fan of Zombie Tramp and Lady Death. Both have fantastic artwork and the stories a very entertaining.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I love this topic. Now we get to talk about my favorite comic book hero above all others.....

1936. The first costumed masked super hero, ever. The Phantom.

Before Superman. Before all others. Before Mandrake.

"Superheros: Decoded" missed the mark on that one.

Is it the historical significance of the character being the first in costume?

I know the movie didn't do him justice.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim

I love the Phantom for my own reasons. His costume, his background, the nostalgia feel of the comics from a different time period. He stamps out his bad guys with a skull ring to leave his "mark" on them. He also stamps out his friends with a "good mark" ring on them LOL

I actually loved the movie. I've painted a few oil paintings too from stills of the movie. I didn't have a problem with the film, it was your typical action/adventure swashbuckler film created in the 1990s. It has the feel of a disney action film from the 90s even, like Rocketeer.

Which, by the way - is my #2 favorite non Marvel/DC character, even though now I guess you could say Rocketeer is Disney/Marvel since the movie was from Disney in the 1990s.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Cassie Hack
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector DarthKribs private msg quote post Address this user
I like Negan, Red Sonja, and Zombie Tramp
Post 19 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Love the old Quality heroes - Spirit, Plastic Man, Doll Man, Phantom Lady, original Blackhawks, etc. Great covers and some really good artists, varied stories, just fun and entertaining.

I loved the Rocketeer, probably because of the nostalgia-feel to it. When they first came out, I also enjoyed American Flagg, Jon Sable, and some other Pacific/First Comics.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
The Goon is who rises to the top currently. Hillbilly and the Black Hammer characters are under consideration

Also love me some old school Spawn and Maxx.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
The Goon is who rises to the top currently. Hillbilly and the Black Hammer characters are under consideration

Also love me some old school Spawn and Maxx.

I thought Spawn or Hellboy would run away with the votes. Plenty of variety so far. I have a lot of various Spawn issues but haven't read many of them yet. A friend of mine (who owns huge collections of Batman and Dare Devil) got me into the character The Maxx. I've been slowly adding issues of his series and will srart reading more when the gaps are filled in a bit.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Lunarshade private msg quote post Address this user
I have always liked Red Sonja, Jungle Girl and any other primal female characters that make great stories.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I liked Rogue 3000 back in the day.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector ThorneArt private msg quote post Address this user
CHEW!
Post 25 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I will have to go with Cassie Hack.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Bloodshot.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector harmonicaman private msg quote post Address this user
Magnus, Robot Fighter. The Silver Age one.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicaman
Magnus, Robot Fighter. The Silver Age one.

What he said.

But since he beat me to it, Uncle Scrooge by Barks. It wasn't a superhero book and I loved my superheroes. But when I just wanted to laugh and relax I reread Uncle Scrooge and/or the Barks Donald Duck stores (Donald Duck and Walt Disney's Comics and Stories)

I grew up in the 60's, there was lots to read that sold really well (200,000+ copies to 700,000 a month) that wasn't Marvel or DC. Heck, Marvel only had one title in the top 10 sales wise all through the 60's.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim

I love the Phantom for my own reasons. His costume, his background, the nostalgia feel of the comics from a different time period. He stamps out his bad guys with a skull ring to leave his "mark" on them. He also stamps out his friends with a "good mark" ring on them LOL

I actually loved the movie. I've painted a few oil paintings too from stills of the movie. I didn't have a problem with the film, it was your typical action/adventure swashbuckler film created in the 1990s. It has the feel of a disney action film from the 90s even, like Rocketeer.

Which, by the way - is my #2 favorite non Marvel/DC character, even though now I guess you could say Rocketeer is Disney/Marvel since the movie was from Disney in the 1990s.

Nice to meet another Phantom (Ghost Who Walks) fan. Character has a long, rich history. First appearance of the Phantom in comic books predates Action 1 by six months. I waited 30 years before I found a copy of Ace Comics 11. If this book was original material rather than comic strip reprints the book would be hugely, major key expensive.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601206 59 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?