Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Signatures

What "pen" do you prefer for signatures?2731

Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Getting ready to go to my first con soon. I have a few books I'd like to have signed...either s.s. or verified...will depend on the price and if I can arrange a witness.

One thing I am is particular...I'm not a big fan of writing on books, but done with taste I can see the attraction. That includes a signature color that compliments the cover art.

So for the few books I'm thinking of having signed...And because I'm a noob at this, I'd like to hear what others recommend as a writing utensil (style/make of pen or marker) to bring to have a basic modern cover signed? What works best for you?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
The industry standard is Sharpies. Don't let Dexter Vines sign your books with paint markers.

A lot of the time the creator has his own markers for signing, and a lot of people don't like touching other people's stuff.

Most recently however I made specific vertically taped window bags for J Scott Campbell books to sign (he and McFarlane are my 2 top favorite Spidey artists) and this time I actually sent in some neon sharpies that I tested out on a beater comic. I also included some gold and copper sharpies for Stan Lee, Jim Lee, and George Perez. I don't know if Matt will use them or not, but hey - one can try, right?

Good luck with your signing ventures. I learned after 5 years finally it's not worth the parking, the tickets, the lines, the people, the hassles - It'd actually CHEAPER going through a convention faciliator than doing it yourself, and the yellow label is just $5 per sig, which makes that cheaper than the $25 verified signatures too! How I wished I could go back in time and switch out my red labels for yellow labels!

Talk to Matt @TrinityComics

Look for his facebook group too.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm periodically checking trinity. Will likely send some del Otto covers in next time he's signing. And others that pop up.

I just have some cool covers I think signatures with a fancy sharpie would compliment. Maybe if I opened the sharpie while in line..wearing gloves...and a surgical mask they will feel less annoyed at handling my marker. That can't be the weirdest thing the artist has seen that day...
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
He takes mail-ins all year long
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector kclaw97 private msg quote post Address this user
Many artists will have a plethora (insert Three Amigos comment here)of sharpies in various colors. I had Fabian Nicieza sign a few Deadpool books at East Coast CC and he was kind enough to ask which color I preferred.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@kclaw97 I'm thinking metallic green for one cover I have...did Fabian have that option?

@kaptainmyke understood...I just don't like the idea of sending in books unless something is actually scheduled. So I'm waiting on a few to be announced.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector kclaw97 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
@kclaw97 I'm thinking metallic green for one cover I have...did Fabian have that option?

@Drogio--Fabian signed Circle Chase 1 in silver and Deadpool 4 in Black over the Hulk. He did have a green sharpie but whether it was one of the metallic ones, i could not say. He is uber personable though and i'm sure if you requested a specific color he'd accommodate you if he has it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
The industry standard is Sharpies. Don't let Dexter Vines sign your books with paint markers.

A lot of the time the creator has his own markers for signing, and a lot of people don't like touching other people's stuff.

Most recently however I made specific vertically taped window bags for J Scott Campbell books to sign (he and McFarlane are my 2 top favorite Spidey artists) and this time I actually sent in some neon sharpies that I tested out on a beater comic. I also included some gold and copper sharpies for Stan Lee, Jim Lee, and George Perez. I don't know if Matt will use them or not, but hey - one can try, right?

Good luck with your signing ventures. I learned after 5 years finally it's not worth the parking, the tickets, the lines, the people, the hassles - It'd actually CHEAPER going through a convention faciliator than doing it yourself, and the yellow label is just $5 per sig, which makes that cheaper than the $25 verified signatures too! How I wished I could go back in time and switch out my red labels for yellow labels!

Talk to Matt @TrinityComics

Look for his facebook group too.

Sharpies are not acid free.

Bic Acid Free Permanent Markers are what should be used.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids

False.

https://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Point-Assorted-Colors-6-Count/dp/B005LU2QA6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1494381879&sr=8-2&keywords=acid+free+sharpie
Post 9 IP   flag post
Yeah but everyone uses black , silver, or gold sharpies. They all fade within 6 months. I've started to notice this on my turtle toys.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Crunkpostit private msg quote post Address this user
The xtreme black sharpies are pretty good. Nice crisp black that doesnt fade is what I like.

Silver sharpies are nice too.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids

False.

https://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Point-Assorted-Colors-6-Count/dp/B005LU2QA6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1494381879&sr=8-2&keywords=acid+free+sharpie

You sir, are distributing, and thereby complicit in spreading .....
fake news😂😂😂😂

Seriously, nowhere on that pack of sharpies does it state " acid free".

It simply has an "X" over the word "bleed".

There was a thread on here about Bic Acid Free markers a few months back.

Do a Google search under Bic acid free marker, you'll see that what I said is 100% accurate.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Bam.

https://www.amazon.com/Acid-Free-Non-Toxic-Permanent-Marker-2c-Black-2c/dp/B01FY7E8X8

That is the marker to use for sigs AND sketches on books.Period.
Post 13 IP   flag post
CAK is right in the sense that Sharpie makes acid free but they are more like pens than markers, so you'd damage your books with imprints.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids did you even read the product description? It specifically stated Acid Free Ink.

Doc Brown said it best before..."read before you speak."
Post 15 IP   flag post
I don't make this stuff up...

Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
CAK is right in the sense that Sharpie makes acid free but they are more like pens than markers, so you'd damage your books with imprints.

Bic, is what I brought up.

Bic puts out traditional sized (not fine point) markers, and yeah, fine points will cause imprint damage, I pit up the wrong link.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@CopperAgeKids did you even read the product description? It specifically stated Acid Free Ink.

Doc Brown said it best before..."read before you speak."

I didn't see the finer print, due to posting on my cell.

In any event, there is another thread on yhis board about this, with more detailed discussion.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
A bit off topic but anyone know the best pen/sharpie to use to have someone sign a POP Vinyl box? (not the actual pop itself) I'm worried about it smearing but plan on putting it in the POP brand protective case right away
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user

Someone should use this!
Post 20 IP   flag post
598060 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?