Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Is the variant bubble going to burst?2691

Collector DarthKribs private msg quote post Address this user

How is this cover worth $2,000. I do enjoy collecting different covers I like but is Marvel pushing it to far?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I want to know how Venom is up to 150 when Marvel renumbers starting with issue # 1 every year.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
There are folks out there in the world with silly amounts of disposable income. They don't care how much; just that it's "rare" in their opinion. There is no other sane rationale for purchasing this for 2k
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a good explanation for you. It's rare! Lol

Post 4 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer That is fantastic!!!! I love the Big Bang Theory!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector rtdcomics private msg quote post Address this user
theres a black and white 1:2000 version of this cover which i've seen listed at around $4000 (apparently reduced from just under $8000 even though its not yet hit the market). Variant madness at its finest! isnt this a re-mastered cover anyway?

I can buy into a variant which has a great piece of original artwork as long as the price is reasonable but as we all seem to be repeating on a regular basis its just getting completely out of hand.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I buy my Transformers 1:10 incentive covers every month from my pull service but some of the variants are getting out of control. Marvel has put out some terrible variants but they sell for a ton because it's a 1:1000. I don't know any regular store ordering 1,000 copies of whatever book Marvel is throwing out. The larger chains and online retailers maybe. I was wondering when the bubble bursts, so I can fill some holes in my collection for cheaper.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
I think they are out of their mind.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Wacker23 private msg quote post Address this user
How do they have the balls to charge thousands for a book that didnt even come out yet? Are people that stupid?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I buy my Transformers 1:10 incentive covers every month from my pull service but some of the variants are getting out of control. Marvel has put out some terrible variants but they sell for a ton because it's a 1:1000. I don't know any regular store ordering 1,000 copies of whatever book Marvel is throwing out. The larger chains and online retailers maybe. I was wondering when the bubble bursts, so I can fill some holes in my collection for cheaper.

I agree with you. I am waiting it out so I can fill my collection in also.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
It will last as long as there is interest in them by collectors who validate the comics publishers practice of producing them. Unfortunately, too many in the collecting community are as bad as the publishers. They'll take making a quick buck off these variants over supporting quality products.

How does the saying go? We have seen the enemy and it is us. Something like that.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
@lonestar - amen. Perfectly stated
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Lonestar completely agree with this. Was about to say something similar. Until we all stop the purchasing of variants it will continue to grow and i'm as guilty as others. I tell myself I'm done with variants and then one drops that has a great cover, brings me right back to square 1. Dont think we will ever have the purchase drop off across comics big enough to impact their creation.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I am guilty as the next person and getting variants here and there. I am not willing to pay the crazy costs that stores like Midtown and others want to charge from them.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'm just going to blame everyone else and not accept responsibility.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Crunkpostit private msg quote post Address this user
It all goes back to supply and demand. The beanie baby craze is a good example. People threw a lot of money for certain "rare" monkey. The craze pooped out and now all that person can say now is how much they spent on it but probably cant get their money back on that item. Its always a risk. I guess collect for the happiness it brings, not long term value (even though its cool to see it become more valueable over time)
Post 16 IP   flag post
One of the local shops in Cincinnati forsook comics in lieu of the Beanie things. It didn't pan out. Coins and gold are the specialty there now. I might stop in at one point to see if it's any different.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthKribs

How is this cover worth $2,000. I do enjoy collecting different covers I like but is Marvel pushing it to far?
It is not Marvel that is asking $2000 for it. So you can't pin this on Marvel. Even though they have many flaws.
Post 18 IP   flag post
It should cost $5.99.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips Marvel are not directly responsible for setting the pricing but they arent helping the situation with their mass production of variants and the 1:25, 1:100, 1:1000 etc categories. The retailers should definitely shoulder some responsibility but they are having to order huge quantities to get the variant so obviously use it as a way to recoup costs. its the end user who is then left at the wrong end of the process either way.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
It should cost $5.99.

....and when they sell out...they sell out.....first-come, first served.

I remember when Superman #75 black bag was distributed. The LCS had maybe only 6 copies.....and you had to be there when they opened in order to get a fresh copy.

Ah yes....the good old days.....when not everyone and their mothers were buying books.

I think it is ridiculous the way these variants have taken over.

I would bet I could get the artist to do a very similar cover on a blank for less money.....and I now would own a 1:1....and not a 1:1000.

Clearly the vision of these marketing folks are not with the fans....but just out for the money grab......and to make money off the fans.

Sad....Now I know why I only primarily buy back issues.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Right. I believe the retailers should not be able to charge above the cover price during the first week. After that, mark it to whatever price you want. I could see them not put out the variant until a week later, if that were the case.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
I stopped buying any variants about a year ago. It's ridiculous. There is no way these books will hold their value. If you're wanting to spend a few thousand on a book...go for some gold or silver books. Hell, even some higher end bronze keys. Avoid variants at all costs.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
I've collected off and on for most of my life. Now being older I collect based on cover art work more than character and story. With a little more disposable income and a vague understanding of the variant game I contribute to the problem. With all the new characters and the the massive splintering of the old guard characters it was hard to know which collecting direction to take. Thus the foils, holos, and 3Ds had appeal to me even if they will never go up in value.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector verbogyrater private msg quote post Address this user
It's just another sign there's too much run. Pubs need to keep it interesting by jazzing things up in the unique side of the spectrum.
Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
It looks familiar. Oh I know why:

Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
It's Venom 150 because Marvel is returning to legacy numbering, thus counting up all the comics as if there had never been a break in numbers. They are basically copying what DC did with with Action Comics and Detective Comics, only not in any intelligent way that actually serves the collector community.
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I said it before and I'll say it again. Marvel has been choosing piss poor covers for the 1:1000s. Covers that you'd expect on regular issues.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Variants are great for short term investments. Buy them and flip them for more. As a Long term (10+ years) investment not so good. Your kids will be buying them from dollar bins.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
That's why I chase newsstands, old early work, and low print run versions of today's "rock star" artists.

JSC's old early work on Spider-man will gain more weight and value over the 3-cover variant sets he's burning through signing on his own studio website. Those aren't going to be worth anything but the Half Price Bookstore bins in a decade.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600871 81 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?