Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPSignatures

Marvel BS @ C2E22667

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Did anyone who was at C2E2 Run into this?

Apparently marvel wasn't allowing window bags or similar comic-protecting methods for signatures at their booth because they only wanted "real fans" not cgc or dealers.

I can't remember the last time I went to a Marvel booth signing but this certainly isn't gonna lure me back
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite That is rediculous. If they keep this kind of stuff up, my grandkids one day will be asking me" What were those Marvel comic books like Papa?" lol.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
sorry - marvel who now? Lately I've been a small/indie comic guy except for bronze and silver DC and Marvel. Lately they have both been doing too many re-launches, re-imaginations, universe resets etc. for my liking - I just don't care about the newest reboot when another will be around in a year or two
Post 3 IP   flag post
@KatKomics I agree. But I still love my Bronze age Marvel.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector KHenkel private msg quote post Address this user
I was stopped at C2E2 in line by a Marvel rep (at the Marvel Booth)and told that I was not able to get signatures unless I removed my books from my prepped bags. When I asked why her response was that only re-sellers prep there books like that. I said I did it to protect the books and make is easier and quicker in line. Her response was remove your book from the bags or she would have me removed from the line. I know its there booth and they can make there own rules but this seem a little over the top to me.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@KHenkel She don't know poop.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for solidifying my effort to not buy Marvel anymore.

I won't be told by anyone who has no idea of who I am, that I am not a collector.

I won't have it....thus I won't be buying any new Marvel comics.

TO be honest, I don't think I have bought a new Marvel comic since I picked up the "Age of Ultron" Hastings variant.

Hmmm.....and they worry about diversity?

They are clueless.
Post 7 IP   flag post
It doesn't even make sense this idea that if you want to protect your books that you must be a dealer or some kind of leech. While yes, a dealer would want the book in the best condition to get the best return when sold, but doesn't it also make sense that a legitimate fan of the work would want to keep their books in the best possible condition as well for it's own sake?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Oh how the mighty have fallen. Marvel, WTF are you doing?
Post 9 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
This is the first I heard of this and just had a bunch of books signed with Matt @TrinityComics.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Squack private msg quote post Address this user
What's more, I am a dealer and do not use cutouts or window bags for signatures on books I am getting signed. Their logic is so flawed because I would have no problem getting comics signed.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector DarthKribs private msg quote post Address this user
I have been reading about this topic over the weekend. It is crazy to think that only people who flip books window bag books for signing and then flipping. I have been reading DC comics mostly these days anyway but I can not turn away my love for the punisher.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
1- the theory that only dealers prep books seems silly at best. As has already been pointed out, collectors and fans do too.
2- Even if prepping was only done by dealers, why should Marvel care? Seems to me that they would encourage the selling and re-selling of their product. It's free advertising for them and if it strengthens the aftermarket demand for marvel, I'd think that demand would trickle into new issues, thereby helping Marvel.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
It has been pointed out that the report doesn't tell the entire story. Marvel's reaction was due to facilitators actions at signings.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
what are those said actions?
Post 15 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke When one person shows up with a folding hand cart with boxes of books and expects a creator to sign them all is when the issues start and it goes on from there.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Kanaloa private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe Marvel should just limit how many books one person can get signed but allow prepping. Say maybe three at most. This would limit flippers and allow protection at same time for those who want it.

Majority of collectors/fans get only 1-3 comics signed at a time. Where flippers do 10+ many times.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaloa
Maybe Marvel should just limit how many books one person can get signed but allow prepping. Say maybe three at most. This would limit flippers and allow protection at same time for those who want it.

Majority of collectors/fans get only 1-3 comics signed at a time. Where flippers do 10+ many times.

If they limited the books and the signatures had to be personalized flipping would end on SS books.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I think personalized signings may be pushing envelope a bit far but is an added option I guess.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
I think personalized signings may be pushing envelope a bit far but is an added option I guess.

Don't know why. If the book is for the fan standing in front of the creator then it shouldn't be an issue.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

Don't know why. If the book is for the fan standing in front of the creator then it shouldn't be an issue.

I think it's ok to sell a book at some point in future or even get two signed and sell one. If it's personalized then selling say 30 years down the road is limited. I think the problem is when flippers get many copies signed not one or two at a time.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
The dick running the Marvel booth at NYCC has been making life difficult for years now (assuming this is the same guy at C2E2).

For a guy working for a company owned by Disney he seems to have a hard time with the idea of anyone making a couple bucks in the comic industry.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I never get personalized collectibles because I know one day my wife and son will have them and to sell them off at maximum possible value would be difficult. I only own one personalized autographed book and it's because it was a gift to me and it's my first, when I was 16. Astonishing Tales #22 CBCS 7.5 VSP "To Michael, -Dick Ayers". So yeah, he's dead now. That's a plus.

Wait I meant that in the least rudest way possible. (GULP)
Post 23 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Some of us don't like being line jumped by some dickhead with 75 copies of the same rag he's trying to flip.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I think I going to learn something from this thread.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@Towmater There's plenty of legitimate reasons for a fan to not want a signature personalized, beyond the fact that it would cause the line wait time to increase significantly
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@Towmater There's plenty of legitimate reasons for a fan to not want a signature personalized, beyond the fact that it would cause the line wait time to increase significantly

I'm viewing it from the person who is signing the item. If they want the line to move faster they can set rules on how many, it being personalized, whatever. It is their autograph. People will either continue to pay, e.g., Adam West, or they won't.

I good with limit 2 of whatever item and it has to be personalized. The lines would be much shorter. Oh, and another example is Jim Lee doing sketches now. If he does one at a show they are personalized now.
Post 27 IP   flag post
limiting # seems so much easier/smarter than pissing off fans who took the time to protect the comic.

Although I don't know why I comment about Marvel. I haven't bought a modern Marvel comic in my life. Stir the pot a little I guess. Valiant all the way
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Whoever made that call at Marvel is asinine, but that is starting to be par for the course at Marvel.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Here is an example of a signing in ABQ this past Jan.

George Perez had a personal representative at his booth. And what her job was, was to take your name and qty of books to sign, and then handed me a "number in line" to wait until I was called.

Limit was three signatures, and/or one sketch per person.

My number wasn't for about an hour and a half, so I was able to roam the convention at leisure and when my number was within ten of the "call up", I would go and get CBCS and do the verification.

It was pretty painless.

Oh yeah....I did have him sign IG #1....hehehe.....
Post 30 IP   flag post
598011 33 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?