Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Would you pay $1 for a NM/M comic book?2656

Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Let's say you have a large used bookstore that has 5 large shelves of used comic books. They restock on a regular basis and sell the vast majority of them for $1 or $2. They also put out several bricks of 4 to 10 comic books at around the same average price of the singles. Natural most of the comics will be handled with plenty of dings. But almost every time there will be a dozen to several dozen VF+ books. Most collectors would quickly pick off the Spideys, Suppies, and Batties. I buy based on the cover artwork, so those would migrate into my bucket. But what about the hundreds of generic comic books like ZeeBee Man #348 with a bland generic cover? Let's also say you have some flex but must keep tabs on your mula fairly tightly. How many of the NM/M copies would you buy?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I can beat that! I have a longbox full (maybe 150) of random VF+ and above books (mostly 90's and newer stuff). Let's say $100 shipped for a longbox grab bag of at least 150 books in great condition. I promise you'll be happy with what you find in there.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
LOOK FOR NEWSSTANDS beeerah
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the replies guys. Now that I know about Newsstands, I do keep an eye open for them. They seem to have a nice % chance of gaining decent value. Currently I have nearly 4 thousand of variously stored comic books to sort thru. Many of these were grab bags. But I will keep Darka's comic books in mind. I also am now learning about "key" issues and other items the sway value. I haven't yet started selling but am aware I own too many comic books to enjoy them all. Basically my goal would be to pare down to a manageable level, maybe set up a nice display, and generate a little beer money on the side. I believe what I've been doing so far is a decent strategy. If I love the art despite condition or future value it's a great deal. I do have to say, tho, sometimes holding a NM/M book in my hand, even generic looking, for a measly $1 is hard to pass up. I only shudder to think of all the "keys" over the years I passed up on due to ignorance of the subject....
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Buy what you want, but don't buy generic books at $1 with hopes of selling them for $2 down the road. Most books that have take off potential have already taken off. Don't hold out hope for a ZeeBee Man movie. You'll be disappointed.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah. Definitiely buy what you like and you will not be dissapointed. I normally don't buy too many dollar books. Unless it was worth a lot more and they did not know what they had. I would rather selectively by the books that I really want. This way I don't have a ton of dollar books that I need to move around. I just got rid of 3cshort boxes of bronze age books. They were mostly vg to very fine. I have been purging the lower grade stuff to make room. Also most $1 books will not be in the condition that I prefer.
Post 6 IP   flag post
600782 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?