Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

How would this Spidey grade out?2645

Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
This forum is an excellent resource for learning comic book values and grading. Plus it retains the fun of the hobby as well. I got lucky last year when I walked into a used bookstore that had just put out dozens of new comics. They buy large collections and sell the majority of them for $1. This one was in NM/M condition when I picked it off of the shelf. I was not happy to see it had developed a mysterious ding to the top right corner when I looked at it at home. The ding goes through the entire book. Sorry for the bad photo, but I haven't set up my CamStand yet. The bottom corners are crisp and square despite the reflections of the bag. I had the book out of the bag briefly and the photo doesn't come close to showing how gorgeous the it is. No other dings, dents, dimples, bends or tears. Pages are crispy clean and white. No spine creases or ticks. The book is flat. So what grade would the corner bend cause it to have?

Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
When asking for grading opinions it is usually a good idea to remove the book from the bag and board before taking scans / pictures.

Assuming there is nothing else I am missing I think that corner damage will keep the book from getting a higher grade than 8.5 or 9.0.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Around 9.0 Maybe 9.2 with a press. But like @drchaos said, it would be better for us to see it out of the bag. Plus it would be good to show the back and even a centerfold photo. But of course do not open the book too wide.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, thanks guys. I should have snapped the photo unbagged. Thus was kind of a "what if" learning type question. It's very very possible a long time pro would see things I missed. But I guess I'm looking to see what effect that obvious "sticks out like a sore thumb" defect would have on an otherwise stellar comic book.

Since the book is board flat would they press the entire copy or just the corner? Might be worth it plus a slabbing. Thanks again.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
They would press the entire book.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Post 6 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
That cover is cardboard like I don't know if it can be pressed. Can it?
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
It can be pressed.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Around a VF, book is way to common and inexpensive to get pressed. Move on to finding a copy that is not damaged if you want to get it certified.
Post 9 IP   flag post
600783 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?