Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help Needed

Rick and Morty #1 - Grade Advice2644

Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
Rick and Morty #1 Pictures

Picked this copy of Rick and Morty #1 up and was hoping I could get your opinion on the grade. There is a spine tick below the top staple in the 2nd picture but otherwise looks really clean (pictures are from the seller). Would this get a 9.0 or higher grade and would a pressing help? Thanks! Deployed till July so won't be able to see it until then, hope I'm not dissapointed.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
The two flaws that jumped out at me are the spine tick below the top staple (front cover) and the soft corner (bottom left corner).

A press is not going to fix either of these two problems. If everything else is perfect you are looking at a 9.2.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Thanatos I have to agree with @drchaos.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos

Picked this copy of Rick and Morty #1 up and was hoping I could get your opinion on the grade. There is a spine tick below the top staple in the 2nd picture but otherwise looks really clean (pictures are from the seller). Would this get a 9.0 or higher grade and would a pressing help? Thanks! Deployed till July so won't be able to see it until then, hope I'm not dissapointed.

No worries.

Based off the pics, the book looks like a 9.0/9.2, as is.Probably a 9.2.

A press would likely yield a 9.4/9.6.

1)

I see a color breaking spine tick, it looks deep at first but that is partially due to the fact that moderns with this paper stock have very plump spines to begin with.

I see no evidence of the tic effecting the back cover whatsoever....which is all black.

2)

Two small scrapes (color flecking) to the FC, about an inch from the spine tick.

3)

Small/light edge wear near lower left FC.

4)

Other than the bindery tear at the base of the spine, which is a common production issue, a very minute amount of corner fraying at the base of the spine.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
The two flaws that jumped out at me are the spine tick below the top staple (front cover) and the soft corner (bottom left corner).

A press is not going to fix either of these two problems. If everything else is perfect you are looking at a 9.2.

A press will certainly remove the bulk of the spine tick, a color break will still be present.

I am not seeing much of any "soft corner".
Post 5 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

A press will certainly remove the bulk of the spine tick, a color break will still be present.

I am not seeing much of any "soft corner".

In your own words:

Quote:
3)

We are both describing the same problem, perhaps my wording was off.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Appreciate the opinion, I have a couple other comics to get pressed and graded so I might just spend the extra bucks to get this one pressed too in hopes that the spine tick dent flattens out despite the break in color.

Quote:
Quote:

No worries.

1)

I see a color breaking spine tick, it looks deep at first but that is partially due to the fact that moderns with this paper stock have very plump spines to begin with.

I see no evidence of the tic effecting the back cover whatsoever....which is all black.

2)

Two small scrapes (color flecking) to the FC, about an inch from the spine tick.

3)

4)

Other than the bindery tear at the base of the spine, which is a common production issue, a very minute amount of corner fraying at the base of the spine.

Wow, this was incredibly thorough and greatly appreciated! I didn't even notice the color flecking near the spine tick until you mentioned it. I'm a pretty casual collector and don't need a 9.8 to be happy with what I have so if this grades out at a 9.0 or higher, I'll say it's a win. Hopefully the press helps improve the grade. Thanks again for your input!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Appreciate the opinion, I have a couple other comics to get pressed and graded so I might just spend the extra bucks to get this one pressed too in hopes that the spine tick dent flattens out despite the break in color.

Quote:
Quote:

No worries.

1)

2)

3)

4)

Wow, this was incredibly thorough and greatly appreciated! I didn't even notice the color flecking near the spine tick until you mentioned it. I'm a pretty casual collector and don't need a 9.8 to be happy with what I have so if this grades out at a 9.0 or higher, I'll say it's a win. Hopefully the press helps improve the grade. Thanks again for your input!

Glad to help.

I would certainly have the book pressed, before it is slabbed.

If you decide to sell it, which I'd certainly suggest doing, as hot books like this book....pretty much invariably (and steeply) drop in value.

The price point between a 9.4/9.6 and a 9.0/9.2 is very signifigant.

Stay safe over there, brother.
Post 8 IP   flag post
598062 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?