Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Re-holder, or re-slab?2640

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
When the time comes to submit my more valuable books for a re-holder, I'm thinking of just having then re-slabbed by CBCS.

Since CGC books have to be placed in a new slab every 5-7 years, it would probably be cheaper in the long run to pay CBCS once, since I'm holding onto them long term.

I have two in particular I'm worried about, a Spidey 129 at 4.5, & a House of Secrets #92 at 8.0. Both of which would probably benefit from pressing.

Might as well get them pressed & re-graded by CBCS, instead of re-submitting them to CGC over & over again.

Thoughts? Had anyone done this? Any danger of re-grading resulting in a lower grade?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Plenty of danger in CGC missing something the first time. However, if you sub them for press and grade, your chances are very good of holding if not inproving 👍🏻
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
New CGC slabs don't have the same 7 year reholder requirement. I'd still go with CBCS though.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
New CGC slabs don't have the same 7 year reholder requirement. I'd still go with CBCS though.

Really? Are you sure? I thought the purpose of the reholder was to change the micro chamber paper ever seven years. CGC still uses micro chamber paper don't they?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
In my view, there's always a significant risk that books will come back lower if re-graded. Sure, they could come back higher, but you have to weigh the risk of your 4.5 coming back a 4.0 or 3.5 and your 8.0 coming back a 7.0. Even if the same person grades the book again, there are no guarantees.

Pressing could certainly maintain if not improve the grade as @shrewbeer suggests, but again, it's a risk. If there's a huge difference in value to you or for the book, you may wish to reconsider. If it's negligible to you, then I would say by all means move forward because the outcome won't be significant one way or the other.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@jrs The one that's a risk is the House of Secrets #92.

1. It was an Anniversary gift.

2. An 8.0 & higher is hard to find. For some reason, 7.5 is common. Weird how just a .5 difference is so uncommon.

The thing is, a 9.0 literally sells for 3x as much. I was hoping with pressing to get it there. But yeah, it may not be worth the risk.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS grades are lower than CGC often because CBCS grades more aggressively and accurately.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
Quote:

Really? Are you sure? I thought the purpose of the reholder was to change the micro chamber paper ever seven years. CGC still uses micro chamber paper don't they?

Both companies use the same material for the inner wells now. The Slabs are not air tight so the book can off gas without holding in the contaminants. Yes CGC still uses the microchamber paper but they say it's no longer needed to reslab every 7-10 years.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
Quote:
Quote:

Both companies use the same material for the inner wells now. The Slabs are not air tight so the book can off gas without holding in the contaminants. Yes CGC still uses the microchamber paper but they say it's no longer needed to reslab every 7-10 years.

Interesting. If it's not necessary for CGC comics to be reholdered, then why continue to use micro chamber paper because micro chamber becomes ineffective after so many years of absorbing the off gassing contaminates?
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting. If it's not necessary for CGC comics to be reholdered, then why continue to use micro chamber paper because micro chamber becomes ineffective after so many years of absorbing the off gassing contaminates?

Not sure why they still use the micochamber paper. I did e-mail CGC a while back for these answers though as I wanted to hear the answers directly from one of their reps.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I heard that they stopped using MCP altogether.
Post 11 IP   flag post
So, I think I'll re-holder the House of Secrets book with CGC & press/re-slab my Spidey 129 with CBCS. Of the two, I can tell it would press out much nicer than its current grade.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
I just opened one of the new cgc Slabs and there's no micro chamber paper inside of the book. Just FYI...
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim If you want to show us some photos of the 2 books then maybe we can help more.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I was thinking about that. I'll post some in a little while.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Here are some pics.

Post 16 IP   flag post
I just received an answer to my email question from CGC. They do still use micro chamber paper unless it is a modern comic that was printed on glossy paper. So any older comic with the older type paper would need to be reholdered every 7-10 years.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Well, that's good to know...You would think information like that would be made public knowledge instead of having to dig for it.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@DarthLego True. It should be made public on their site. At least the lady who works there took time to answer my question. 🌟⭐️ Two gold stars for that.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Well I just opened one of there new slabs and there wasn't any micro chamber papers inside of the book. So either the person who told you that didn't know or they forgot to put it my book. So I would really like to know for sure.
Post 20 IP   flag post
The book I opened was x-factor #6 old book not a new one. Just FYI...
Post 21 IP   flag post
I'm sure CGC Quality Control is doing its best.

Post 22 IP   flag post
lol that's funny darth
Post 23 IP   flag post
What do you guys think, would the Spidey 129 benefit from Pressing?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head
Well I just opened one of there new slabs and there wasn't any micro chamber papers inside of the book. So either the person who told you that didn't know or they forgot to put it my book. So I would really like to know for sure.

That's a cause for uncertainty for sure. So the slab you opened was one of the latest ones?

Here is a screenshot of the email I received:

Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Good Grief. I emailed CGC with this same question a couple months ago and I was told that they no longer use Micro-chamber due to the fact that CGC "upgraded" their mylar wells and that it was no longer needed.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I zoomed in and took a better screenshot. You should be able to read it much better. Sorry, I don't take a lot of screenshots and had to figure it out.

According to the email I received from Erin, they still use micro chamber paper inside non-glossy-paged comics.
Post 27 IP   flag post
There seem to be multiple worlds within the CCG dimension. You just gotta know if you are submitting to Earth1 or Earth2 if you want to know if you get microchamber or not. Its quite simple.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
when one chooses a reholder at CBCS, do they just put it in a new case and you retain the label or does CBCS print you a new label?
Post 29 IP   flag post
New label. My next submission includes all of my rivet labels to re-holder for that very reason.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601333 34 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?