Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Help with grade 3.0, 4.0, better?2626

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I'm about to submit a Spidey #6 (first Lizard). It appears to be a solid 4.0-5.0. BUT aside from typical wear, there's a fair amount of Marvel chipping on the right side of the cover.

If it weren't for this obvious flaw, I'd have no problem calling it a solid VG. Which is the grade I paid for.

Here's the thing, I purchased it from someone I've dealt with before & was beginning to trust. I should have inspected the book more closely but I thought He'd point out any other outstanding flaws. But, I shouldn't assume anything, really.

When I got home, I slipped it from the top loader and inspected it. What's that on the interior of the cover? 1-1/2 to 2" of tape.

Now, it has age to it. Clearly a previous owner did this repair years ago. The seller didn't do this, so, it's not his fault. Again, it's on me.

So, with typical VG wear, Marvel chipping, & this repair, what am I looking at? A G/VG? Less? More?

Your input is appreciated.

Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
3.0 imo
Post 2 IP   flag post
Upon closer inspection, the tape is closer to 1-1/4". But a 3.0 is very realistic.

Maybe they'll go a little easy on it for the chipping, considering how it was more an issue with the paper than the way the book was treated.

Maybe a 3.5, if I'm lucky. I'll be interested to see what they slab it at.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I definitely think a 4.0 is too high and a 2.5 too low, so 3.0/3.5 would be my guess.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
i have a infinity gauntlet #1 with chipping wtf
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with @kaptainmyke. The chipping is pretty significant. That, coupled with the other defects, puts this book in 3.0 territory in my opinion.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thank you for your input, guys.

Man, I love this forum. I think I'm gonna like it here. I think I've found my tribe.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Welcome! We are all friendly here. If you have a Ninja Turtle question about history, origins, 1st appearances, toys or comics, I'm your guy.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thanks @kaptainmyke, I'll keep that in mind. I have a 3rd print of TMNT #1. It's in probably 7.0 condition. I'm debating getting it pressed & graded.

Do you have experience with CBCS pressing, & would you recommend pressing in that grade category?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
How "white" is the paper - both cover and interior paper?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Interior paper is white. Not bright white but better than off-white.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Interior cover would be off-white, however.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
It looks like the tape closes a tear. Is that correct?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Yes, that was my guess. They did a neat job of it, so, it's hard to tell the size.
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts is doing the in house pressing for CBCS. Everything we've seen from him so far has been impressive.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
This is a tough one. I'd say anywhere between 3.0 to 4.0. If the tape wasn't sealing a tear and was just on the book (which I have seen on some golden age but not too much on silver), I'd be leaning closer to a 4. If it seals a tear, then 3-3.5.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Yeah. I'm gonna cross my fingers for a 3.5. I'll be sure to post the result when it returns from grading.

Thanks again. 👍🏼
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Clean, presents well, off-white to white paper, nice cover gloss - with the Marvel Chips and small bit of tape, without actually looking and handling the book, I would say 3.5 easy.

VG 4.0 is also contender.

Way too nice to be 3.0
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
I think the circle stain on the front and interior cover would bring it down quite a bit as well as the other defects mentioned. I think the book would be in the Good/Very Good range - 3.0.
Post 19 IP   flag post
It just shipped. Looks like the general consensus was correct. It got a 3.5.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Great grade for that book IMO. Congrats.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Thanks, @jrs. A 4.0 would have been amazing, but I'm happy with a 3.5.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Just arrived! It looks so good in a slab!

Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
Looks awesome in the slab, 3.5 was definitely one of the better scenarios.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim It looks nice in the slab. I have one question though. That tape spot really shows through a bit dark on the front. Did't you wonder why the spot was darker? Did you purchase it in person or on line?
Post 25 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips I purchased it in person & didnt really notice the darker spot. It shows a little more now, in the slab.
Post 26 IP   flag post
597875 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?