Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Restoration and ConservationQuestions

CBCS process255

Collector JeyNyce private msg quote post Address this user
I have been hearing people complain about how they send in books in one condition and it comes back looking beat up and with a low grade. So I thought it would be cool if CBCS could record the steps a comic goes through when it is being graded. We all know the steps, but have never seen the encapsulation process or what graders look for when grading a book. What do you guys think?
Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
While it may sound exciting in theory, in reality it's probably like watching paint dry. I would like to see the encapsulation process, but I think I'll pass on watching Snicketts read.

As a side note, most people who thought they sent in a 9.8 and got back a 6.5 more than likely didn't know how to grade to begin with, but that's just my 2¢.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
I'd like to see examples of books that are sent in one condition but come back "looking beat up and with a low grade."
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

As a side note, most people who thought they sent in a 9.8 and got back a 6.5 more than likely didn't know how to grade to begin with, but that's just my 2¢.

Indeed
Post 4 IP   flag post
I have a friend who posted on Facebook stating that CBCS messed up his Superman #4 in the encapsulating process and the book has "waves" in the case because the book is slightly bigger than the case. They gave him credit and took care of him, but I'm thinking that if CBCS would show us the process, people would have a better understanding of what's going on.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Oldbsturgeon private msg quote post Address this user
A superman 4, well that's a pretty serious book so I would bet Steve at least saw it if not did grading on it so even probably knows what went down with it too.
to see how its done from start to end. yeah that would be cool, but probably as an example and not for every book they would do.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
This is as close as you are going to get as far as step by step on grading. CGC also posts something similar. We are not going to get a step by step with pictures because the grading companies are going to consider specific details as proprietary information.

But the link below lists the steps the books go to from receiving to grading to shipping and a general description.

Early GA books can push the limit of fitting inside the holders of all the grading companies. CGC has one advantage in that since they grade magazines, they can put oversize books inside a magazine holder if need be (which often costs the customer a good deal more) But early GA books if mistrimmed a bit or have any spine roll often are a bit to snug.

https://www.cbcscomics.com/grading
Post 7 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I've actually talked to Steve Borock about doing a video or a series of photos showing the process. The idea was that it starts when a comic is received and it follows that book through all the graders, qc and shipping. He was supportive of the idea at that time, but other things (like this forum) needed to take priority.
And, as @IronMan pointed out, certain information would not be shared. It's possible Steve's stance has changed upon reflection, it WAS over a year ago when I asked him about this, but I think there is hope that something will be produced in the future to help collectors understand the whole process and the scope of work they do in a day. I don't think that even the average slab collector has an accurate idea of the amount of work and care that is put into grading their comic. And I'm positive that most collectors don't!! I think it'd be a pr boon to open up the process to photos or film. I'm sure most cons would be willing to have a panel on the process if those aides were available. But this is all just my opinion.
Post 8 IP   flag post
From what somebody told me (who used to work in the business)your books are kept in a safe. The safe is huge and is compared with most bank safes. I thought that was cool, then he told me that your books are handle by multiple people, which I wasn't comfortable with, but he explained to me that it is because it is checked and double checked to make sure the proper grade is given.
I think what I really want to see is the encapsulation process. I think that would be cool to watch.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
I always wondered about the process myself.

I can imagine in my head that my book is being graded in a dark office on top of a big oak desk and then walked next door to the next grader who has a similar office.

The one question that I always wanted to know is, on average, how long does it take one grader to look over one book. I can imagine, going over with a fine tooth comb, taking hours but I know that would be unrealistic for one book.

Also, just curious, do graders sometimes read the books while grading. I know I would. I wouldn't be able to help myself.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
I was looking at my New Mutants 98 that was graded by CBCS and noticed that about 1/3 of the way down from the top that the comic has a slight convex bow in it. I thought it might be an optical illusion, so I turned the case over to look at the back and can see a slight concave bow in the comic. I should note that the comic laid perfectly flat before I sent it in. Has anyone else noticed any waviness or slight bows in your CBCS graded comics? Does anyone know what would cause this?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeyNyce
I have a friend who posted on Facebook stating that CBCS messed up his Superman #4 in the encapsulating process and the book has "waves" in the case because the book is slightly bigger than the case. They gave him credit and took care of him, but I'm thinking that if CBCS would show us the process, people would have a better understanding of what's going on.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
I was looking at my New Mutants 98 that was graded by CBCS and noticed that about 1/3 of the way down from the top that the comic has a slight convex bow in it. I thought it might be an optical illusion, so I turned the case over to look at the back and can see a slight concave bow in the comic. I should note that the comic laid perfectly flat before I sent it in. Has anyone else noticed any waviness or slight bows in your CBCS graded comics? Does anyone know what would cause this?

Thanks

Oh, let me check my CBCS Slabs. Thanks for sharing the observation.
Post 12 IP   flag post
596798 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?