Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper Age

Newsstand/Direct Edition Variants? Got 'em!2518

CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS is proud to announce that we will now identify the difference between Newsstand and Direct Edition variants on our label, for comics published from 1977 through 2000.

This was a change made in response to the increasing number of requests that we've received over the past few years from customers and dealers alike.

CBCS recognizes this trend as one of those collecting niches that has been overlooked for a long time, and we agree that the change is due. Given the growing number of passionate collectors who are starting to acknowledge and accept Newsstand and Direct Market variants as different copies of the same comic, we will now start identifying them on the CBCS labels.

"We are always looking for ways to improve our product and our hobby, as well as give people what they want," said Steve Borock, President of CBCS. "This is just one more way for CBCS to help lead comic collectors into the future of this great hobby."

Post 1 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I think some members' pants just got shorter!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Wonderful news SR!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, well done guys!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Dang, I just missed this with my BA12 newsstand, but you'll be getting my Spawn #1 newsstand.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Just curious what prompted the change, considering the adamant refusal made here recently?

Not saying I don't think it's cool or anything. Personally I never really needed a label to tell me the difference though
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector b00ch private msg quote post Address this user
This is great
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector DLAComics private msg quote post Address this user
Love it. Will it be listed in graders notes too? When will this start? Im one that looks for both if possible.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Good. A very good step in the right direction.

Now about that census......
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Great idea, congrats on the decision. A welcome addition to the hobby.
Post 10 IP   flag post
This should have no effect on the values of books from 1979 to 1995-6 or thereabouts, with some exceptions.

The Spidey Gold UPC is one.

But, it will be a tremendous boon for those Direct market experiments that Marvel did from 1977-1979, and, of course, for the much harder to find newsstand versions from after that period.

This book:

...is NOT a "Whitman reprint", as Overstreet got wrong four decades ago, and generations of collectors repeated.

Yes, Whitman was an early proponent of the Direct market.

Yes, Whitman was almost certainly the lion's share of that market.

Yes, Whitman got Marvel to get rid of the UPC codes for their 3-packs.

But no, they weren't the ONLY Direct market sellers, because Phil Sueling's Seagate Distribution...the start of the DM...was not Whitman. Whitman saw an opportunity, and took advantage of it.

No, Marvel didn't reprint these books "just for Whitman." Whitman warehoused tens of thousands of copies, saving them for "thematic packs", and then, when they had enough, made their packs to sell to K-Mart, JCPenney, etc. Buyers made the reasonable (but inaccurate) conclusions that they were reprints because they showed up so much later...but they weren't. Marvel didn't reprint ANY books in the same format throughout the entire 70's EXCEPT for Star Wars #1-6...and POSSIBLY Howard the Duck #1, but we only have Gerber's (?)/Brunner's (?) word on it.

Maybe...finally...after decades and decades, the collecting public will finally understand what these "fat diamonds" really are, why the exist, and where they actually came from.

Yay!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
This should have no effect on the values of books from 1979 to 1995-6 or thereabouts, with some exceptions.

But, it will be a tremendous boon for those Direct market experiments that Marvel did from 1977-1979, and, of course, for the much harder to find newsstand versions from after that period.

This book:

...is NOT a "Whitman reprint", as Overstreet got wrong four decades ago, and generations of collectors repeated.

But no, they weren't the ONLY Direct market sellers, because Phil Sueling's Seagate Distribution...the start of the DM...was not Whitman. Whitman saw an opportunity, and took advantage of it.

No, Marvel didn't reprint these books "just for Whitman." Whitman warehoused tens of thousands of copies, saving them for "thematic packs", and then, when they had enough, made their packs to sell to K-Mart, JCPenney, etc. Buyers made the reasonable (but inaccurate) conclusions that they were reprints because they showed up so much later...but they weren't. Marvel didn't reprint ANY books in the same format throughout the entire 70's EXCEPT for Star Wars #1-6...and POSSIBLY Howard the Duck #1, but we only have Gerber's (?)/Brunner's (?) word on it.

Maybe...finally...after decades and decades, the collecting public will finally understand what these "fat diamonds" really are, why the exist, and where they actually came from.

Yay!

Ot will have a pretty signifigant effects on a lot of 90's to early 2000's...as this is the period, moreso towards the early 200o's when newsstand distribution was at its lowest point.

Even in the early 90's, when newsstand distribution wasnt super low...youll see an appreciable effect.

Spawn 1 cgc 9.8 newsstands average $250 (recorded aversges) .....spawn 12 newsstand also has at least 1 recorded dale at $200 in CGC 9.8.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Big props for CBCS, this will help modern CBCS slab FMV.

The missing link to bridge the overall FMV gap for CBCS slabbed moderns in relation to CHC slabbed moderns is the creation of a CBCS Census to work in tandem along with a CBCS Collector Set Database.... which CBCS has in the works already.

The CGC Registry database is why mid 90's books like Harley Quinn #23 have sold for $460 in CGC 9.8......2 CGC Registry Set Collectors ompeting for the lone CGC 9.8 slab that popped up in a 7 day auction from Comics4less....which they both needed to fill their CGC Registry Sets for that series of Harley Quinn #1-38 in CGC 9.8's.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
If a book is currently in grading will it have this notation?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Please excuse any typos above.

Monkey sized thumb
+
small cell phone keys on a Droid cell
=
spastic typeset
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyb86

Maybe, but maybe not. It depends on when the notes were done for the book.
We flipped the switch and told the people putting in notes to start at a certain time. There was a small backlog of books with notes entered already that were in staging for the graders.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:

We flipped the switch and told the people putting in notes to start at a certain time. There was a small backlog of books with notes entered already that were in staging for the graders.

I checked and now the books says "direct edition" after the title so hopefully i'm good! Woot!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:

I checked and now the books says "direct edition" after the title so hopefully i'm good! Woot!

Yep. That means you're good.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Stephen Bagley made a great point, by the way, on the CBCS collectors club:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB
Besides, to say "it's obvious, so why put it on the label", you could also say that about the book title and number. That's usually obvious too..... right?

An excellent point, and one worth noting. Even if not for the data and census potential value, it still sinks the "it's obvious!" argument. Sure, and so is the publisher, title, issue number (most of the time), date of publication (most of the time)...but all of that is on the label, too.

But the true value, of course, is in the data mining that this will provide.

Good response on that, too, Shrewbeer.

This is excellent news. Most excellent. Outstanding. I'm thrilled.
Post 19 IP   flag post
PS: Groo #1, Pacific Comics.

Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user

Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown

This book:

Yay!

Ot will have a pretty signifigant effects on a lot of 90's to early 2000's...as this is the period, moreso towards the early 200o's when newsstand distribution was at its lowest point.

Even in the early 90's, when newsstand distribution wasnt super low...youll see an appreciable effect.

Spawn 1 cgc 9.8 newsstands average $250 (recorded aversges) .....spawn 12 newsstand also has at least 1 recorded dale at $200 in CGC 9.8.

Yes, there is an entire untapped market in difficult to find newsstands...most notably Image from 1992-on...that is waiting for this.

What is Spawn #73 newsstand worth in 9.8? No idea...BUT...now we'll start to see how rare these really are (and good GRIEF, they are!) and a market will develop. A Spawn #73 9.8 may only be worth $30....but a 9.8 newsstand? Now we're talking, because of supply and demand. And now we have a way to track it.
Post 22 IP   flag post
MAN, this is cool!
Post 23 IP   flag post
I'm giggling like a schoolgirl about this.
Post 24 IP   flag post
One suggestion: the newsstand designation really ought to go up to the present. But hey, I'll take 1977-2000 for now.
Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I'm blown away by how fast CBCS did a 180 on this issue after one thread discussed it.
Post 26 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Wouldn't you think that all this planning and subsequent roll out was in the pipeline before a few days ago?
Post 27 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Pardon my ignorance on this topic but I don't understand why this a big deal. Can't you tell by looking at the UPC code or Spidey head or Cap head etc and determine if it's Newsstand or Direct Editions?
Post 28 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Pardon my ignorance on this topic but I don't understand why this a big deal. Can't you tell by looking at the UPC code or Spidey head or Cap head etc and determine if it's Newsstand or Direct Editions?

Yes, but in catering to a niche market, they make a few people happy and make a few extra bucks in the process. I would say that the biggest deciding factor in doing it was that the cgc wasn't.
Post 29 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Yes, but in catering to a niche market, they make a few people happy and make a few extra bucks in the process. I would say that the biggest deciding factor in doing it was that the cgc wasn't.

Makes sense, thank you!!
Post 30 IP   flag post
601275 81 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?