Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPComics Modern AgeSignatures

Frank Miller signature worth it?2473

Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
So we've talked a lot about Stan Lee's signature here, but what about Frank Miller's? He's running about $100 a pop right now. Normally I wouldn't consider that price, but I would love to get my Dark Knight Returns set signed. My thought is to have 1&4 signed by Miller and maybe Janson if he's at the same show. And then have Janson sign 2&3. Any thoughts on the plan or Miller's signature in general? Is this a other Stan Lee style bubble?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I would. Frank Miller is legend. ROBOCOP, Daredevil, Wolverine, Batman. This man redefines legends to make them legendary. His health was reallllllly poor last year and his sketches were fetching $700 at cons.

These guys aren't going to be around forever.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
I had my TDKR set signed by both Miller and Janson last year. Miller was $150/book, Janson $25/book. They were from and for my personal collection so having them signed meant more to me than the cost of the signatures. I also has them both sign a little TDKR DC collectables batman bust.

Miller is kind of in the same boat as Stan Lee right now. They're both getting older and want to secure as much money for their families before their gone. Which means they pump out the in-person/private/mail-in signing opportunities.

As for being worth it, that's definitely going be your own personal preference. If you love his work and the books mean something to you then go for it. You may not have the chance much longer.

Get Janson to remark your books if you can and he's got the time, I didn't and wish I had. 1 and 4 are good choices for Miller sigs, but if you can afford to 2x SS all 4 books you should. They look sexy as hell!

Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
His health was reallllllly poor last year and his sketches were fetching $700 at cons.

Right now you can commission a sketch through Trinity for $700. I'm soooo tempted....
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
For investment? Absolutely not. He is currently having a bit of a renaissance, but it will be short lived.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloGraham
Quote:
His health was reallllllly poor last year and his sketches were fetching $700 at cons.

Right now you can commission a sketch through Trinity for $700. I'm soooo tempted....

Ya but let's talk about that for a second. I saw some of those example sketches...I would never buy any of those lazy and horribly drawn Frank Miller sketches. He can and should do better than that for $700 frickin' dollars. For that money I can get a full color commission collaboration piece from someone who actually puts some love and soul into their commission.

I mentioned that on Matt's FB group and he politely asked me to remove the comment since Miller's agent is a member of the group. (Awkward. ) But it is what it is, and as a fan that's what I stand by and I still stand my ground saying those sketches were horrible for $700. Sorry, not sorry.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
I believe it worth the money. I meet the whole Dark Knight III Team last year at Fan Expo. He is such a great man and what was funny is that when Klaus Jansen signed my Litho he signed right were Franks signs it. Frank looked at it looked at his assistant and they both laughed because of werehe signed it. He smiled and signed it for me. Mind you this was a free signature i got but it was worth the Don't Give Up Hope Line
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

YOU & ME BOTH!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Would YOU pay $700 for this?

I love Frank Miller. I'll ride that bandwagon train all day long. But those sketches tho -
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke I would have to pass on those sketches. But I would like signatures on my Dark Knight return books.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Would YOU pay $700 for this?

I love Frank Miller. I'll ride that bandwagon train all day long. But those sketches tho -

All of them except the spider-man one yes I would pay that much for those.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
I like all of those sketches except unfinished Spider-Man and the arms are a little too long on Batman and Wolverine, they kinda' look like orangatangs or something.

I'm guessing his abilities aren't what they used to be due to age/health as opposed to laziness. His chaotic, sketchy style is one that is better suited for a younger man. Love his work on Ronin & 300. Some of his work for DKIII has been good, too.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Chubbyfresh77 private msg quote post Address this user
I am one of the few people that I have heard actually love his recent sketches. I think it is the fact that I am completely exhausted with the "everyone is beautiful" interpretations that we see on the pages everyday hahaha I especially loved his Wonder Woman, which everyone else hated.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
Hey... at least for $700 you get a full figure Miller sketch. for $400 Neal Adams will give you just a rough quick profile head sketch that took him literally 30 seconds to do.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector SavageFinale private msg quote post Address this user
I sent matt my wolverine mini series issue 1 to be signed by Frank and Chris. This gave me a chance to go from the grading company that can not be named slab to a superior CBCS slab.
Post 15 IP   flag post
$700 for a full body sketch by someone like Miller is definitely worth the money in my eyes.

The "beauty" of the sketch will certainly be left to th eye of the beholder. Some will love it, others will hate it. Some of those examples aren't to my liking, but there's a couple that I think are amazing and done right in the vein of what I would want and expect from a Miller sketch. If you had that Batman sketch coloured and you'd have similar art to the DKIII #1 1:100. There's a couple pieces on eBay that are Miller sketched/Janson inked/Sinclair coloured that look phenomenal.

Here's the head sketch I received at the Platinum experience. They were all placed in brown envelopes and you picked one as you went in so no one was able to pick and choose. Everyone else opened their's, I didn't open mine till I got home. I really like the one I got, I saw some that I would have been slightly disappointed if I had received them. Some people absolutely hated their's.

Post 16 IP   flag post
I like that one, you got a cool story to tell about it
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
I like that one, you got a cool story to tell about it

Thanks! I was super pleased when I opened it. I had seen a similar side profile sketch he did on eBay a few months prior to event, only that one had a bit of stubble and a dirty half smoked butt hanging off the lips. I was actually going to request that same one before I learned they were pre done so to end up with one that was pretty much the same by chance was pretty exciting.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Best part is that I was last in line and the guy at the door was handing them out from the top of a stack. When I got up to him I just kind of smiled and ran my finger down the top of the stack he was holding and pulled a random one from the middle.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I own three books that have Miller's OA sketches on blank covers and numorous books signed by him. All of them are yellow label and purchased off eBay.

You can purchase sketched books for under 500.00. Lately, they have been in the 550.00 to 600.00 range.

None of my purchases are for an investment. I just like Miller, his run on DD, appreciate what he has done for the industry, and his fights with publishers about creators' rights.
Post 20 IP   flag post
this is my only Miller autograph. It is being passed around the country right now with Matt. It's a special project we're doing. Trying to grab anyone who ever had anything to do with the Punisher, ever, to sign this book. Artist, writer, actor, anything. I regret selling off my Punisher books in 2010. The Punisher and Wolverine (Marvel Comics Presents, etc) was some of my first comics I started collecting when I was 11.

Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Nino_013 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ya but let's talk about that for a second. I saw some of those example sketches...I would never buy any of those lazy and horribly drawn Frank Miller sketches. He can and should do better than that for $700 frickin' dollars. For that money I can get a full color commission collaboration piece from someone who actually puts some love and soul into their commission.

I mentioned that on Matt's FB group and he politely asked me to remove the comment since Miller's agent is a member of the group. (Awkward. ) But it is what it is, and as a fan that's what I stand by and I still stand my ground saying those sketches were horrible for $700. Sorry, not sorry.

As with anything, youre paying for the name tho. Ive gotten commissions done at a tenth of that price which prolly took the artist ten times longer to do. But the things is, theyre NOT Frank Miller.
Would i pay 700 for a FM sketch? Absolutely.
But he is hit and miss at times that id prefer to buy one already done rather than commissioning one..
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Nino_013 private msg quote post Address this user
Plus 700 is chump change compared to what he was charging when he first started sketching again..
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user

I hosted Frank Miller's very first store signing party back in Dec 1981. Over 4000 rabid Miller fans came thru seeking his sig that week end. Limit was 5 sigs per person -all free. You do the math how many items he signed.

Keep in mind some came back thru for seconds

I also published an art print signed & numbered by Frank he calls Lilly Marlaine. Some say The Spirit drawing he placed in my comics memory book is the earliest known existing Miller Eisner-esque Spirit drawing still in existence.

Twas a very fun week end, to be sure.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
@BLBcomics I love it when you post those. I would kill for Frank Miller OA or a sketch cover.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Andy. What with all the liars over in CGC chat room "board" land making stuff up about me 2007-2015, I never seem to know any more reactions I might encounter over here in CBCS land of Ethics.

Am so glad CBCS started up which stopped the Wall St type monopoly tactics the owner of CGC was up to.

That said, I have never paid for a sig on a comic book and/or in my comics memory book. One does not encounter same at "normal" book signings with authors in "real" book stores. I also always get a sig personalized to me for my shelves. Sigs and inscriptions are for later fond memories. Here is one of my favorite pages. No art. Just sigs from friends I made back in the day.

Post 26 IP   flag post
how cool!

Post 27 IP   flag post
@BLBcomics I've never took part in the CGC boards. I like the people and the atmosphere at this board so I'll stay here. The last con I went to I had the most fun speaking with the artists and looking at their work. All the books for sale were cool too but meeting the people who created them was the best.
Post 28 IP   flag post
To answer the OP's question, yes I think it's worth it. I very much enjoy Frank Miller's work, especially on Daredevil, so I'm always brainstorming ideas to have him sign stuff. I also have a Ronin promotional poster signed by him but I don't have a picture.

Post 29 IP   flag post
Also, some of those sketch covers could be colored and the appearance would improve dramatically. Examples:

Post 30 IP   flag post
600873 39 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?