Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern AgeComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help NeededPop Culture

Batman Adventures #12 Newstand Edition2466

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Got my "newsie" copy today inside a box, inside another box, the seller is awesome. I have immediately created invoice 17-1219CA6 to send off for grading at CBCS. I have handwritten on the invoice "Please PRESS" for pressing service. Does that include cleaning, too?

Here's the pics!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
👍
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Pressing includes dry cleaning.

I'm calling it for a 9.4 after Steve pancakes it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Id be surprised if it comes back sub-9 👌🏻
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Can I request @SteveRicketts to press this one? The invoice is 17-1219CA6.

I paid a decent price for it. I cannot wait to see what a good pressing will do!

I also forgot to write on the invoice "Newstand Edition" under variant! Will they automatically notate that? The UPC barcode BA12 are SUPER RARE
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Can I request @SteveRicketts to press this one? The invoice is 17-1219CA6.

I paid a decent price for it. I cannot wait to see what a good pressing will do!

I also forgot to write on the invoice "Newstand Edition" under variant! Will they automatically notate that? The UPC barcode BA12 are SUPER RARE

I have one recently slabbed by CBCS, and it's not noted as a variant on the label.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Nobody (guides, graders) seems to recognise newsstands, yet they regurlarly go for more loot. What gives?
Post 7 IP   flag post
They should as it is next to impossible to find a newstand version in high grade. They came off the racks!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
The UPC barcode BA12 are SUPER RARE

Are they? I have three slabbed, I know at least one is the UPC version, now I need to pull them out...
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
Oh wow nice pickup there @kaptainmyke. Steve can pancake anything lol but honestly looking like it will be anything above a 9.0
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
That Batman 457 second print newsstand I had graded I asked that they note it as a second print newsstand. It was noted as a second print but no newsstand edition.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaboca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
The UPC barcode BA12 are SUPER RARE

Are they? I have three slabbed, I know at least one is the UPC version, now I need to pull them out...

Rare in high grade especially. There are some of us that refuse to buy anything but barcodes from that era 😁. Most of the other stuff was hoarded and preserved too well to be rare.
Post 12 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, send that to me. You won't recognize it when you get it back.
(In a good way.)
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Post 14 IP   flag post
Here are my three - 1 newsstand. It looks better than a 5.5, but has a stain on the upper right... hard to see, but pretty big. @SteveRicketts, I might send it to you at some point to see what you could do with it for fun. Click here for a higher-res image of the 5.5 - it shows the stain a lot better.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Stunning books, I love it! You can see a few color breaks on mine so that knocks it down for sure - I know pressing will hopefully fix all the wrinkles.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Stunning books, I love it! You can see a few color breaks on mine so that knocks it down for sure - I know pressing will hopefully fix all the wrinkles.

No question that is going to press quite well!
Post 17 IP   flag post
I think the reason Newsstands are not noted is because 1) they are not really considered as being "variants" by the publishers, 2) they are easily identified visually.

And I think Steve is the only presser.
Post 18 IP   flag post
CBCS notes the blue vs purple covers on their label (they say "light&dark cover versions exist" ), but as far as I know that is the newsstand vs direct cover. Shouldnt it be labeled "newsstand blue cover" or "direct purple cover" or something like that?

Does anyone have a direct that has the blue cover?
Post 19 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
The single most time consuming thing for the grading room to do is researching comics to make sure they have the right book and entering the key comments into the fields. It's a very tedious job.

CBCS doesn't denote newsstand/direct versions because of the following reasons...
1) It's obvious if you're looking at the book. Sellers can sell it as a Newsstand copy, and buyers understand what that means.
2) It's taking the number of books in our database and multiplying it times two. That's twice as many books for the graders to keep up with.
3) It exponentially increases the chance that we will make a mistake on the label. Label errors cause wasted time and money. Label errors cause customers to send books back for reholders, causing more wasted time and money, and introducing unneeded frustration onto the customer.

When CBCS opened we put together a case study on this because, quite honestly, the graders thought it would be awesome. Once we got into the pros and cons, it was determined that it would prevent us from being able to be productive at the level we needed to be. Once the graders understood the level at which this would complicate their jobs, it was found to be an albatross.

To sum it up, newsstand would be cool for us to add, but it would ultimately result in increased prices and significantly increased turnaround times.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts putting it on the label doesn't make as much sense as the price guides including it someday. Nice to know you guys at least thought of it as well though.
It may be tedious,but please don't ever cut back on what you currently do, you guys are head and shoulders above the rest in that area and it's much appreciated!!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Once we got into the pros and cons, it was determined that it would prevent us from being able to be productive at the level we needed to be.

I really appreciate the insight into the kind of processes and analysis you go through on these things - good stuff!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaboca
Quote:
Once we got into the pros and cons, it was determined that it would prevent us from being able to be productive at the level we needed to be.

I really appreciate the insight into the kind of processes and analysis you go through on these things - good stuff!

Me too I second that. Thanks for sharing that @SteveRicketts
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@SteveRicketts putting it on the label doesn't make as much sense as the price guides including it someday. Nice to know you guys at least thought of it as well though.
It may be tedious,but please don't ever cut back on what you currently do, you guys are head and shoulders above the rest in that area and it's much appreciated!!

Disagree Shrewbeer - if the price guides differentiate, the grading companies should differentiate and label the differences. Just saying it's obvious by looking at the book is a poor reason for not labeling something. If you follow this reasoning, why label the price variants? It's obvious
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
The single most time consuming thing for the grading room to do is researching comics to make sure they have the right book and entering the key comments into the fields. It's a very tedious job.

Steve - I need to respectfully disagree with your points here. Researching the details of each submission... of course it can be tedious, but this is your job. This is what customers are paying you to do.

Quote:

CBCS doesn't denote newsstand/direct versions because of the following reasons...
1) It's obvious if you're looking at the book. Sellers can sell it as a Newsstand copy, and buyers understand what that means.

This is poor reasoning for not including information on a label. Would you not label a 35 cent price variant Star Wars 1 because it's obvious?

Quote:

2) It's taking the number of books in our database and multiplying it times two. That's twice as many books for the graders to keep up with.

The number of items in a database should be irrelevant. With any system, you should be able to quickly hone in on title and issue variants. If you can't, that's a flawed search and/or data model.

Quote:

3) It exponentially increases the chance that we will make a mistake on the label. Label errors cause wasted time and money. Label errors cause customers to send books back for reholders, causing more wasted time and money, and introducing unneeded frustration onto the customer.

Exponentially? No, absolutely not. Of course label errors are a pain and cost everyone time and money, but over time these should become infrequent.

Quote:

When CBCS opened we put together a case study on this because, quite honestly, the graders thought it would be awesome. Once we got into the pros and cons, it was determined that it would prevent us from being able to be productive at the level we needed to be. Once the graders understood the level at which this would complicate their jobs, it was found to be an albatross.

To sum it up, newsstand would be cool for us to add, but it would ultimately result in increased prices and significantly increased turnaround times.

I'm not arguing the cost/benefit for you guys to start making this differentiation, if it's cost prohibitive, that is good enough reason and all you need to say, but your three points above are very flawed if based on the premise that making this differentiation is obvious to both buyer and seller. Never assume that. E.g. you can't expect either side to always remember which issues have which variants. A simple, quick glance at the CBCS label should remedy that.
Post 25 IP   flag post
A simple quick glance at the barcode should remedy that.
Post 26 IP   flag post

Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
A simple quick glance at the barcode should remedy that.

Huh, I didn't realize you could differentiate any variant from the bar code alone... Who needs labels!
Post 28 IP   flag post
You can differentiate Newsstand vs Direct by looking at the barcode. That is what the conversation was about, not variants.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
You can differentiate Newsstand vs Direct by looking at the barcode. That is what the conversation was about, not variants.

Not variants? So Newsstand vs. Direct is not a variant?
Post 30 IP   flag post
596782 42 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?