Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeComics Silver AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

"Sun" Shadows on Comics2437

Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
I don't remember reading/seeing anything definitive about how sunshadows on books affect grade (if I'm using the wrong term, what I am referring to are the darker areas on covers, front or back, that result when a comic partially covers the book below and the part that is covered is still nice and bright while the uncovered part develops a "shadow" or darker area - see image) - can anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
Obviously that would hurt the book's grade.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector I_AM_IRON_MAN private msg quote post Address this user
Big time.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Comicdey private msg quote post Address this user
Well at cgc I've seen 9.4's with a little dust/sun shadow. Not sure at CBCS but I'd think that might be top of the mark.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
I don't remember reading/seeing anything definitive about how sunshadows on books affect grade (if I'm using the wrong term, what I am referring to are the darker areas on covers, front or back, that result when a comic partially covers the book below and the part that is covered is still nice and bright while the uncovered part develops a "shadow" or darker area - see image) - can anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks!

Sun shadows will invariably effect grade.

How much of a grade drop depends on the severity of the oxidation, along with the size of the area.
Post 5 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot

Thanks!

They can be caused by dust or oxidation from the sun. In some instances, the sun can cause the edges to become brittle which would greatly impact the grade. In most cases they are done on a sliding scale, the greater the shadow and brittleness, the greater the impact on the overall grade. There is no way to say it is half a grade hit or one full grade, etc.
Post 6 IP   flag post
597993 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?