Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

So I was cracking a slab...2434

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
...in preparation for WonderCon and when I tried to remove the bottom tab, the entire bottom piece came off intact without any noticable signs that it'd been tampered with. I removed the book and curious to see if the bottom piece could be reattached without breaking I gave it a shot...

I'd heard people say it was possible but I was surprised that I ended up doing it almost by accident.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector I_AM_IRON_MAN private msg quote post Address this user
Rather alarming!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Draco private msg quote post Address this user
Yes but they also have an inner sleeve.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I've never held one. In theory, could one make a swap?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Yes.
Post 5 IP   flag post
SCARY STUFF
Post 6 IP   flag post
I imagine this will be another thing to look out for with trimming and colour touch and all
Post 7 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
What about the top tabs?
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user

Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Done this a few times, its just a snap-together slab. I dont think one could tamper with the inner sleve holding the grade/comic.

Is this not supposed to be this way? Why is it "alarming"?
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer

One could open it change out that 9.8 for a graded 9.2 and how would you be the wiser
Post 11 IP   flag post
@DrWatson Without the comic it's kind of hard to tell what's what but here's all four tabs front and back

Post 12 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
So the entire slab came apart with both the top tabs and bottom tabs intact, i.e., unbroken?
Post 13 IP   flag post
@DrWatson It didn't come apart entirely. I removed the bottom assembly intact, at which point the remaining tabs act as a hinge and the book can be removed without interacting with the top tabs at all. The assembly can then be reattached, thus sealing the holder again, without any visible damage.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer The slabs are supposed to be "an archival safe, tamper-evident holder." Basically it should be obvious if the slab has been fiddled with so you know the book inside is the one CBCS put in there. The book is sealed in the inner well but the label is vulnerable to removal or swapping with little, if any, obvious evidence that it occurred.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
If you haven't cut in inner well yet would you be able to seal it all back up without super glue? I have cracked around a half dozen CBCS slabs and I always seem to destroy the locking tabs on one end. This outer shell is more secure in my mind compared to the old CGC shells with the posts.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Is this the slab design they are currently using? That is one thing I do like about the latest cgc slabs...seem very tamper proof...these I dunno...can you try to crack open a few more and let us know your success rate?
Post 17 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Anything's possible.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Is this the slab design they are currently using? That is one thing I do like about the latest cgc slabs...seem very tamper proof...these I dunno...can you try to crack open a few more and let us know your success rate?

You are a very funny man! That post brought a smile to my face.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig
@shrewbeer

One could open it change out that 9.8 for a graded 9.2 and how would you be the wiser

Because the inner holder is one piece holding bothe the comic and label; one would have to cut that to swap out the grade. I suppose it would be possible to fool someone, but the inner holder cant be swapped without cutting
Post 20 IP   flag post
@JWKyle Yes, I would've been able to replace the book. I did reseal the slab just as I would've had there been a book inside without any sort of adhesive.

And yes, in my experience, the tabs do normally break or the plastic in the bottom assembly would have a very obvious crack.
Post 21 IP   flag post
It was my understanding that the tabs are suposed to be designed in such a way that removing them becomes very evident. This is a big problem.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Hopefully this is an oddball occurrance.
Post 23 IP   flag post
If you had two of the same book except one was a 9.8 and the other a 9.2, how easy would it be to swap the labels and re-insert?
Post 24 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer The inner well is one piece but the label itself isn't actually sealed. The sides are left open so it could be possible to work the label out and replace it.

Also, even if the well were cut, it could be cut in such a way that is nearly invisible while in the slab
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@Johnnylray, I remember that show!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
@Johnnylray, I remember that show!

we all do. then the magicians of the world had him disappear. airquotes.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Would love to hear a CBCS opinion on this. I did one last week and the only defect on the tabs were from where my screwdriver bit into it. Had I used something softer, I cant imagine it would be noticeable after.
Post 29 IP   flag post
the new CGC slabs DO feel light and super strong / tough

I don't have many slabs, but my new BTTF cast signed book is a 2017 slab
Post 30 IP   flag post
601477 61 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?