Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

So I want to buy a golden age comic2416

Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user
So I want to buy a golden age comics but unsure of a good one to pick up. When I mean good one, I'm looking for something with a slight key status IF possible, but has awesome artwork on the cover to admire. This is for my personal collection and not something I plan to ever flip or sell. So give me your opinions on a few books worth grabbing that are affordable but still have great covers to admire. I was eyeing up a few wow comics and Mary marvel, but I'm sure you pros know of some comics that would fit the bill better
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
What do you like? Superhero? Ducks? Horror? Children's titles? There are sooo many to choose from, you need a starting off point.

I'd suggest checking out the Golden age of comics thread, the got grail? thread, and the Obscure GA anyone? threads as well.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
First of all start by defining your subject of interest. Superhero, horror, cowboys, Donald Duck, if superhero which one.

Second define what your idea of affordable is. Some collectors can drop thousands like pocket change, others not so much. Affordable is a relative term.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Be careful, Golden Age books are more addictive than any other period of comics...

At least, for me that is.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
What price you looking to spend
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with prior posts. If you could provide

Genre(s)you are interested in
Budget you are working with
-also
Condition you are looking for

it would really help the group narrow it down.

Cover browser, My comic shop, and Comic book data base are all decent sites to look through covers.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I love GOLDEN AGE comics and just picked up a 9.0 CGC graded copy of U.S.A. COMICS #1 (1941) from Comic Link. Since it's grade I had to goto AMAZON and buy the MARVEL MASTER WORKS book just to read the comic book. My comic shop and Comic Link are good places to find GOLDEN AGE comic books.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Good point guys. Sorry I didn't even think about all that but I prefer super hero/heroine comics. I want covers with amazing art or color on it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@rckstr1253 I Buy Mid Grade Superman Comics (1940's). They have classic covers and their value only goes up the older they get. I would recommend the same.

Example 1: Superman #12 CBCS 4.5 Currently up for auction on ebay. Current bid $86. Probably go for a couple hundred. Anything WWII will be in demand. This one has tape on it though, try to avoid that too.

Example 2: Superman #9. Currently at $202. Probably go for $500+.

Don't buy any copies with Cream or Tan Pages. That's a sign the pages are getting brittle and will break down soon. Off-white or higher is best.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Comicdey private msg quote post Address this user
Creme pages aren't the death of a book. Buy what you like. Avoid tape, rust, brittle, pieces missing and you'll be fine
Post 10 IP   flag post
Most golden age books will have cream to off-white pages because of the age alone. If you store them properly in a Mylar with an truly acid free board, they will be fine for longer than most of us will live.

Really, what you should avoid (depending on the scarcity of the book) is tape, rusty staples and brittle pages.

That is a general rule, but I would break it for Action Comics 1-10 and Detective Comics 27-40.

RESTORATION is fine with me as long as it's on a rare book, like the above mentioned eras of Detective and Action, as long as the price is a fraction of the unrestored grade.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstr1253
Good point guys. Sorry I didn't even think about all that but I prefer super hero/heroine comics. I want covers with amazing art or color on it.
In my opinion the superhero Timely books are awesome. The colors really pop on a lot of those books. But, they are pretty pricey.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Are Mary MArvel books worth buying....or not the best artistically speaking?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstr1253
Are Mary MArvel books worth buying....or not the best artistically speaking?

In my opinion yes. Any GOLDEN AGE comic book is worth buying. That's a piece of history that will never come around again and the WW2 ones are the best ever!! No MODERN comic book cover can come close to any golden age (WW2) cover. Check out any Capt. America WW2 cover against any modern age cover. Maybe that's way golden age books are so expensive.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84
Most golden age books will have cream to off-white pages because of the age alone. If you store them properly in a Mylar with an truly acid free board, they will be fine for longer than most of us will live.

Really, what you should avoid (depending on the scarcity of the book) is tape, rusty staples and brittle pages.

That is a general rule, but I would break it for Action Comics 1-10 and Detective Comics 27-40.

RESTORATION is fine with me as long as it's on a rare book, like the above mentioned eras of Detective and Action, as long as the price is a fraction of the unrestored grade.

What would you pay for a (Golden Age) U.S.A. COMICS #1, graded by CGC at a 9.0 (Restored)?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@Rafel I wouldn't buy a restored comic. I'd rather buy the same comic at 6.0 unrestored. The value of restored comics is a tricky subject.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@Rafel I wouldn't buy a restored comic. I'd rather buy the same comic at 6.0 unrestored. The value of restored comics is a tricky subject.

True, very true. I saw the cover back in 1973 and wanted it. Now I have one.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Comicdey private msg quote post Address this user
All the captain marvel titles are great fun reads. Story's are fun art is good bordering on great at times and Mary Marvels are charming.🎉
Post 18 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@rckstr1253 how much loot are we talking here? I'm sure we can all think of a hundred covers, but the price range is from $1 to a cool million without narrowing down budget...
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84

What would you pay for a (Golden Age) U.S.A. COMICS #1, graded by CGC at a 9.0 (Restored)?

A U.S.A. Comics 1 CGC 7.5 with moderate professional restoration sold at Heritage Auctions for $956.00 on November 16, 2016.

I'd say a 9.0 with a similar amount of restoration would be between $1500.00-$2500.00.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Kav private msg quote post Address this user

Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Kav private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.google.com/search?q=phantom+lady&rlz=1CAACAC_enUS695US696&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjltPCW2e_SAhUD1GMKHeVSAWQQ_AUIBigB&biw=1297&bih=630#tbm=isch&q=phantom+lady+golden+age&*

Post 22 IP   flag post
I'm looking to spend $200-$800
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav

Awesome cover!
Post 24 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I have no Golden Age books at all. This Green Lantern #19 is the only Golden Age book I've ever owned and I sold it a while back. The one I'd like to have is a Superman #14. There's a sweet looking 6.5 up on ComicConnect's current auction, so if anyone would like to get that one for me, I'd appreciate it.

Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84

A U.S.A. Comics 1 CGC 7.5 with moderate professional restoration sold at Heritage Auctions for $956.00 on November 16, 2016.

I'd say a 9.0 with a similar amount of restoration would be between $1500.00-$2500.00.

I paid $1,501.00 for mine and it was graded by CGC at a 9.0.
Post 26 IP   flag post
609046 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?