Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestionsToys

TRADING OFFERS - TMNT First Printing #12381

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I have been chasing down a nice 9.0 or higher graded or ungraded May 1984 Mirage Studios Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 First Printing.

(with both creators Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird typically signed in ballpoint pen in blue on inside front cover.)

Immediate fakes are spotted from within graded cases by inspecting the middle "T". It should have little to no blood in the top right corner of said middle "T".

First and second printings' covers are a deep red compared to the third printing which is faded red.

Counterfeit copies of #1 first printing exist. This book has had numerous counterfeit copies surface from time to time. Some second printings have been misgraded as first printings as well.

I have some books I am willing to use as "trade bait" for this acquisition. If you or anyone else you know might be interested in my offer, please let me know! Thank you

Some books I'm willing to part with: coming soon
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
1966 Amazing Spider-man #1 (Second Printing) Golden Record Reprint with Playable Record and Sleeve, signed by Stan Lee at Rose City Comicon CBCS Graded 8.0 Verified Signature Series

Post 2 IP   flag post
1974 Amazing Spider-man #129, signed by Stan Lee and Gerry Conway at Rose City Comicon CBCS Graded 5.0 Verified Signature Series. I have others like this as well, but I really don't want to part with my Spider-man keys unless I have to. I have #50, 121, 122, 129, 300 all signed by Stan.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Avengers Annual #10 CBCS 9.4 Signed by Stan Lee and Chris Claremont

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
CGC graded the counterfeit copies and noted they were counterfeit or they thought they were real?

*Edit* Good luck in your search dude. I emailed you a while back about a guy selling one on FaceBook.
Post 5 IP   flag post
This was ages ago but the book was misgraded a 9.6 first printing when it was a 2nd printing or someone tried to scam CGC maybe the CGC guys know something or two about this. I tried googling the scam but the items are too old to view on ebay's system now.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
This was ages ago but the book was misgraded a 9.6 first printing when it was a 3rd printing or someone tried to scam CGC maybe the CGC guys know something or two about this. I tried googling the scam but the items are too old to view on ebay's system now.

Wow
Post 7 IP   flag post
Silver Surfer #4 Signed by Stan Lee 0.5 due to missing a page not affecting story

Post 8 IP   flag post
Thor #158 CBCS 4.5

Post 9 IP   flag post
Superman #207 80 Page Giant Special CBCS 7.0 Signed by Neal Adams

Post 10 IP   flag post
Entire set of the Watchmen Books 1-12, and all Before Watchmen books, including all Jim Lee covers of Before Watchmen

Only these 2 are graded tho:

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
Quote:
This was ages ago but the book was misgraded a 9.6 first printing when it was a 3rd printing or someone tried to scam CGC maybe the CGC guys know something or two about this. I tried googling the scam but the items are too old to view on ebay's system now.

Wow

I do not believe counterfeit TMNT 1's has been graded by CGC as original 1st prints.

I think he is mistaking/misrembering sales of CGC graded counterfiet copies, which would absolutely be noted as "counterfiet" on the CGC label.

Here is the GPA data on the counterfiet sales, FWIW:

You are analyzing: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Counterfeit < Add this title to My Titles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Counterfeit No. 1
CGC Census Links : Print
No. 1, Volume 1, 1st print, No publisher listed (1984)

Grade
Notes 2015 Avg 2016 Avg 12Mnth Avg 90Day Avg Last Sale

click to add this comic to My Comics
( 9.4 ) - - - - $1,060 Oct-2014

( 7.5 ) Sgnt series/Signed/Remarked Laird/Eastman (1) $650 - - - $650 May-2015

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Counterfeit No. 2
CGC Census Links : Print
No. 2, Volume 1, 1st print, No publisher listed (1984)

Grade
Notes 2015 Avg 2016 Avg 12Mnth Avg 90Day Avg Last Sale

( 9.8 ) - - - - $314 Aug-2014

( 9.6 ) - (1) $175 (1) $175 - $175 May-2016

( 9.0 ) - - - - $100 Jul-2011
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
It was a 3rd print copy that was labeled 1st printing. The guy cracked opened slab that contained a supposed 1st print copy and it turned out to be a 3rd printing.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
It was a 3rd print copy that was labeled 1st printing. The guy cracked opened slab that contained a supposed 1st print copy and it turned out to be a 3rd printing.

What you just described sounds like the video of the guy who claimed PGX ripped him off of his copy of TMNT#1 and replaced it with a later printing.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke Do you already have a sub 9.0 TMNT#1? And if so will you be letting it go once you aquire a 9.0+?
Post 15 IP   flag post
I do not own any 1st printings, never had one
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Did the guy record a video of cracking out the book?

Unless he did that, and also showed all 4 corners of the slab without stopping the recording after showing closeups of each corner..who is to say the guy was not pulling a scam himself?
Post 17 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
You would get more mileage out of selling those books and applying the money toward a purchase than you will trying to offer them in trade toward a 9.0 TMNT #1. Just my .02.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Agreed
Post 19 IP   flag post
My problem is this: I know most of the owners in the deep knit community of TMNT who do have first printings of #1 but are unwilling to part with them unless maybe there was a trade on the table. And it's always the same: Golden Age or Silver Age only.

Ridiculous, I know.

Either that, or people be trying to sell $3,000 books for $6,000. That's the situation.
Post 20 IP   flag post
If the only people who have said book are unwilling to part with said book for less than 6k then it essentially has become a 6k book no?
Post 21 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Last 9.0 GPA sale was $4,200 in August 2016.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
If the only people who have said book are unwilling to part with said book for less than 6k then it essentially has become a 6k book no?

Only if more than 1 actually gets what they are asking
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

Did the guy record a video of cracking out the book?

Unless he did that, and also showed all 4 corners of the slab without stopping the recording after showing closeups of each corner..who is to say the guy was not pulling a scam himself?

From what I remembered of the video, the slab was cracked in front of a camera and was supposedly not his copy.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
My problem is this: I know most of the owners in the deep knit community of TMNT who do have first printings of #1 but are unwilling to part with them unless maybe there was a trade on the table. And it's always the same: Golden Age or Silver Age only.

Ridiculous, I know.

Either that, or people be trying to sell $3,000 books for $6,000. That's the situation.

Unless you have better and bigger books to trade, it's going to be tough to get anyone to take your trade. TMNT #1 is a major key so, unfortunately, you're going to need to bring major keys to the table.
Post 26 IP   flag post
regarding that youtube video...but i could see the extra blood on the middle "T" on the cover, a dead giveaway that book is a third printing without even cracking the slab.

Quote:
Unless you have better and bigger books to trade, it's going to be tough to get anyone to take your trade. TMNT #1 is a major key so, unfortunately, you're going to need to bring major keys to the table.

Yeah, I know. I'm getting there...still waiting on some things to get sent back to me
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
regarding that youtube video...but i could see the extra blood on the middle "T" on the cover, a dead giveaway that book is a third printing without even cracking the slab.

Quote:

Yeah, I know. I'm getting there...still waiting on some things to get sent back to me

Good luck on trying to get one. The book a grail for me but I can't justify paying so much for a Copper book so unless it drops down to about a grand, I'm never going to own a copy.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Ridiculous, I know.

I own one and it isn't for sale, and/or trade. It will be passed on to my son. TMNT #1 has a strange hold on me. It took 15 years to find the copy I wanted as it had to be almost as specific a copy as the one KaptMyke is looking for in this thread. I found it by accident on eBay.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke
Are there any differences in 1st vs 2nd printing on the cover? I've noticed the third printings on ebay have that extra "T" blood spatter you mentioned
Post 30 IP   flag post
601342 39 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?