Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededPop CultureQuestions

Please grade this Batman Adventures 122377

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for the information. As always, I appreciate your infinite wisdom. Now, back to the Batman Adventures 12...
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
You brought up the 2 colors.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I think they are two different colors. Sure, it could be low ink supplies but that is a realllllly big number of light versus dark covers to be a low ink supply shortage, don't you think? I don't know any of this, I'm just speculating entirely by sold books and whats available on google images.

even the spanish version is super light. look at the fox logo contrast in color differences on both

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
You brought up the 2 colors.

Indeed. No need to mock, kaptainmyke.
Post 29 IP   flag post
If there was low ink supply on the blue side of the plates then why is the blue of the Fox Kids Network the same when comparing the hues of Purple? It's interesting to me.

btw DocBrown I don't know what's happening right now but nobody is mocking anyone.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I mean not to mock anyone. You seem to a vast knowledge of far ranging subjects which is very prevalent on both the CGC and CBCS forums.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
If there was low ink supply on the blue side of the plates then why is the blue of the Fox Kids Network the same when comparing the hues of Purple? It's interesting to me.

btw DocBrown I don't know what's happening right now but nobody is mocking anyone.

Not right now, he meant 53 minutes ago.

Those color differences are certainly... different. But I still don't think there's any remarkable difference.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
I think they are two different colors. Sure, it could be low ink supplies but that is a realllllly big number of light versus dark covers to be a low ink supply shortage, don't you think?

No. The book had a print run of perhaps 500,000 copies, at the very height of the early 90's hype. There are bound to be color variations. They didn't stop the run, change the colors, and then continue the run.

There are very few instances of that happening (like Sandman #1 from 1974, which may be an extreme case of the same thing), but many instances of shade variations throughout comics history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by km
I don't know any of this, I'm just speculating entirely by sold books and whats available on google images.

There are people who DO know this, with a lot more experience. Maybe it would be good for you to be less aggressive, and more willing to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by km

even the spanish version is super light. look at the fox logo contrast in color differences on both

There isn't a Fox logo on this one. What are you referring to?
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
I mean not to mock anyone. You seem to a vast knowledge of far ranging subjects which is very prevalent on both the CGC and CBCS forums.

That's fair. Keep in mind, you asked if I was 10 years old yesterday, and that's not the first derogatory comment you've made to me, so you can perhaps understand why I'd think that.

But I appreciate the clarification.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Those color differences are certainly... different. But I still don't think there's any remarkable difference.

Correct.

Just shade differences, easily attributable to differing levels of ink.

Now, if the color difference were to another color altogether...like green, where it should be red, for example...then that would be a different cover.

Here's an example of that:

Clearly, the wrong colors were coded in from the beginning.
Post 35 IP   flag post
THAT is something I want!!!
Post 36 IP   flag post
See what I mean about vast knowledge of subjects? You continue to bring up examples of such that relate to topic at hand. It amazes me and frightens me at the same time.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown

There isn't a Fox logo on this one. What are you referring to?

My bad on that one, I noticed too there wasn't a fox logo after I typed that one. completely skimmed on that example

however, the panel on the far upper right color hue of blue matches the fox logo I noticed on all examples. on the light examples batgirl's cowl is brighter on the right side of her head
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:

That's fair. Keep in mind, you asked if I was 10 years old yesterday,

Fair enough. That thread was next level hilarity on the irony side of things!
Post 39 IP   flag post
The book sold. !!!

I am mad. Seriously.
Post 40 IP   flag post
I'll likely never own one of these. Still seems to be a hot seller, and I don't "do" hot.

Did it look like a fair price?
Post 41 IP   flag post
It was on auction for $280 ending in 18 hours! He switched it to BIN for $600 and it sold immediately! ARG I thought I was going to be able to steal that for a song. It's a newstand copy! Those are so rare, and so rare in that grade. I'm hurt. I'm not gonna lie. It stings.
Post 42 IP   flag post
the purchaser most likely could get it pressed and graded at 9.2 or 9.4 and easily double their money imo
Post 43 IP   flag post
Good God, they're selling for that much ($600) now?

Nope, I'll never own one lol
Post 44 IP   flag post
I know right? Ridiculous!
Post 45 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
1) There is no variant of this book. The color difference is due to shifting ink densities during the production of the book. There are copies that have a bluer background, and a background that is more purple, and many shades in between. All comic books have this shift to some degree, it's just more often noticed on keys, because who cares about non-keys?

2) The color on the background is changing hues moreso because of the change in density to the magenta ink, not cyan. Magenta ink shifts affect the hue more dramatically than the other three colors. A .2 shift in magenta density can make the color change significantly.

3) The book earlier in the thread is definitely a direct edition. It is not a Whitman reprint.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Thank you for clarification. Much appreciated. Magenta makes perfect sense because definitely in the art world especially with oil painting "a little dab will do" to the hue
Post 47 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Thank you for clarification. Much appreciated. Magenta makes perfect sense because definitely in the art world especially with oil painting "a little dab will do" to the hue

Yep. The same principle in printing. When painting, if you put a little too much red in your mix, it takes a LOT of another color to get it back where you want it to be. Good comparison.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Unrelated, but for Marvels specifically, outside of Star Wars, there never was any such thing as a Whitman "reprint."
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector slym2none private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It was on auction for $280 ending in 18 hours! He switched it to BIN for $600 and it sold immediately! ARG I thought I was going to be able to steal that for a song. It's a newstand copy! Those are so rare, and so rare in that grade. I'm hurt. I'm not gonna lie. It stings.

Hope it wasn't someone that saw it here...

Post 50 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
When you see a deal you know is a deal jump on the negotiations right away, and then do the research for the little unknowns later. You could have been the dude to convince that seller to BIN, you probably would have convinced him of less than $600 too.
Post 51 IP   flag post
It happens. Onto the next one!
Post 52 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I try not to have doubles in my main collection. Although I do make exceptions for certain things pedigrees, Variant covers , different inserts, double covers and color differences that make the book present a different shade. In the printing field I use terms like weak black, running hot(high magenta)running cool (high cyan). I just like how the color strike can vary and although it is not a true misprint or variant I find it interesting. When people say a book has a good strike they are referring to deep rich colors that are being laid down good and the press was dialed in at the time the cover was printed.
Post 53 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Correct.

Just shade differences, easily attributable to differing levels of ink.

Now, if the color difference were to another color altogether...like green, where it should be red, for example...then that would be a different cover.

Here's an example of that:

Clearly, the wrong colors were coded in from the beginning.

Yeah looks like they swapped the Magenta and Cyan. I've seen these come up for sale I just need to pull the trigger one of these days
Post 54 IP   flag post
Pulled the trigger finally. Ok so I managed to work out a deal on this one. What would you say the grade is? I'll tell you what I paid after. I'd like to get CBCS to clean and press it before grading.

Looks like 4 color breaking spinal dents, 1 tiny dent on cover upper right. Little to no staining, corners look decent. For a newstand copy it's not bad.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601204 90 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?