Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededPop CultureQuestions

Please grade this Batman Adventures 122377

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
What do you think the grade is on this book? I am considering purchasing it to get graded through CBCS. Note the spine dent on the middle center area of spine on rear of book. click on images for full size.

Light cover. Newstand barcode edition. ("Newsie" Edition)

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Draco private msg quote post Address this user
Pressed 9.2 as is 8-8.5
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
If we're taking bets I'll go 9.4 after pressing.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector nikki666666 private msg quote post Address this user
What's the inside Like? What colour are the pages? It would be hard to give a grading based on a cover. It might not even have insides!!! ;-)
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
how do you get CBCS to press before grading now they offer in-house pressing? The inside of the book is unread.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Draco private msg quote post Address this user
I see at least 7 color breaks and a slightly blunted corner. Guess it could get a 9.4 but 9.2 is more likely.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector DertyComix private msg quote post Address this user
I would give it a 9.2-9.4 like Draco has stated. Still a great looking book.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
9.0 to 9.2 Looks likexa press will help a little.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'd like CBCS to press it before grading

how/where?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke I agree. It would be foolish not to have them press it first.
Post 10 IP   flag post
There are 2 covers. A dark cover and a light cover. I think this is a light cover.

I'd like to point out it's the newstand direct edition with the bar code. Most of them do not have the bar code.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
There are 2 covers. A dark cover and a light cover. I think this is a light cover.

Wow. I didn't know there were two covers. Do you have examples of both?

Quote:
I'd like to point out it's the newstand direct edition with the bar code. Most of them do not have the bar code.

About how many do you think have the bar code?
Post 12 IP   flag post
That's all I know. I have no idea how many have the bar code. The barcode ones are rare and even more rare above a 9.6 due to being on newstand racks and surviving the test of time as a raw book.

Here's an example of dark and light covers. compare the contrast of the "Fox" logo. The newsies have lighter covers.

Dark:

Light:

Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown

I find it a little odd that CBCS mentions there are two different covers but dorsn't actually say which one the book is.

Post 14 IP   flag post
wow that is weird.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:

I find it a little odd that CBCS mentions there are two different covers but dorsn't actually say which one the book is.

I suspect there aren't "two different versions" of this cover, but rather the age-old issue of the ink running low, which upsets the balance of the colors.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:

I suspect there aren't "two different versions" of this cover, but rather the age-old issue of the ink running low, which upsets the balance of the colors.

Can you please explain it in great detail? I'm sure people here would appreciate the information, I know I would.

Thank you
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Here is an example. These aren't 2 different covers. Sometimes the colors change. Nothing special.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Here is an example. These aren't 2 different covers. Sometimes the colors change. Nothing special.

Great example.

Here's another classic one:

Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:

Those are 2 different covers. Whitman reprint and 1st print.

The New Mutants example is a better one, admittedly.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Many better example, this is what I had on hand. Colors change on covers, and they're not meant to be taken as variants.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Many better example, this is what I had on hand. Colors change on covers, and they're not meant to be taken as variants.

Is this true? Can you prove it?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Those are 2 different covers. Whitman reprint and 1st print.

The New Mutants example is a better one, admittedly.

Those are both first printings. Which one do you think is a Whitman reprint, and why?
Post 23 IP   flag post
The top one is a Whitman reprint, due to the Diamond. It may be a first printing, but it's still a Whitman print.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
The top one is a Whitman reprint, due to the Diamond. It may be a first printing, but it's still a Whitman print.

That is incorrect.

The top one is a Direct market, first printing.

It was made especially for comics specialty stores nationwide, and other Direct purchasers, of which Whitman was only one of several at this point.

Why do you think it is a Whitman?

Regardless...the fact that it's a Direct vs. a newsstand doesn't alter the difference in color. In the top example, there's more red in the mix, which gives the area a more "purple" color, as opposed to the bottom, which is running lower on the red, and is more of a blue shade.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Thank you for the information. As always, I appreciate your infinite wisdom. Now, back to the Batman Adventures 12...
Post 26 IP   flag post
You brought up the 2 colors.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I think they are two different colors. Sure, it could be low ink supplies but that is a realllllly big number of light versus dark covers to be a low ink supply shortage, don't you think? I don't know any of this, I'm just speculating entirely by sold books and whats available on google images.

even the spanish version is super light. look at the fox logo contrast in color differences on both

Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
You brought up the 2 colors.

Indeed. No need to mock, kaptainmyke.
Post 29 IP   flag post
If there was low ink supply on the blue side of the plates then why is the blue of the Fox Kids Network the same when comparing the hues of Purple? It's interesting to me.

btw DocBrown I don't know what's happening right now but nobody is mocking anyone.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598060 90 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?