Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeComics Restoration and ConservationQuestions

Elseworlds 80 page - Issue with Ripples??2366

Collector nikki666666 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi there, this is my first post here as I'm new today!
woohoo!

I have an Elseworlds 80 page Square edge glued comic and it is suffering from major ripples.. see pics below..

my question really is,

1. does this affect a CBCS / CGC grading?

2.can this be corrected or improved greatly by pressing?

3. does the heat involved in pressing pose a problem to a glued book?

and 4. will cleaning remove that unsightly sticker mark from the barcode?

any help would be appriciated.

Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
1) yes
2) yes
3) I don't know
4) possibly
Post 2 IP   flag post
thank you @DarthLego

I think i read somewhere that the ripples are a manufacturing anomaly which tends to happen on glued books without a heavier stock cover.

do you know of anyone that does the pressing that is trustworthy and can work with a square edge book?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Either CFP or CBCS in house should be able to help you out.

Those ripples look to me like water damage. I don't know how that could be a manufacturing defect.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki666666
woohoo!

I have an Elseworlds 80 page Square edge glued comic and it is suffering from major ripples.. see pics below..

my question really is,

It's a manufacturing issue. The glue warps the cover stock. It almost certainly will affect the grade at CBCS, but perhaps not at CGC...depends on who is grading it, and if they know what they're doing.

Cleaning will probably help, depending on what that mark actually is.

I just subbed an X-Men #101 with that nasty black grease pencil on the cover...I managed to get most of it off, without disturbing too much of the underlying printed ink.

Got an 8.0, which is great for such an ugly book to start with.

Do you want to press the Elseworld's...? Maybe, maybe not. It's very delicate work. People who know what they're doing won't look down on it. Most of the 80 page giants from the 90's look like this.

But yes, heat can activate the glue, certainly. In the beginning, I once took off a 1/8" of color from a practice Vengeance of Bane #1 top and bottom of the spine because the glue was activated.

oops.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
thank you @DarthLego

I think i read somewhere that the ripples are a manufacturing anomaly which tends to happen on glued books without a heavier stock cover.

do you know of anyone that does the pressing that is trustworthy and can work with a square edge book?

Right, the ripples on this book are a byproduct of the glued spine.

There are plenty of competent and trustworthy pressers out there that can press out waviness on glued square bounds.

CFP, CBCS and CCS could all handle pressing a squarebound for you, easily.

I could as well, not that I am looking to take on any new clients at the moment because I am severely backlogged and the last thing I want to do is increase my workload even further.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
woohoo!

my question really is,

1)
Yes

2)
Yes

3)
Not if you know what you're doing.

4)
Removing price sticker residue can be done, with both a solvent and traditional dry cleaning methods.Leaving chemical residue from the solvent is possible, but very less likely if the work is performed on a modern book where the residue has yet to bond with the paper itself.

Another problem with that particular UPC code box is possibly smearing the black ink onto the white area.As long as the residue is not aggressively attached to the paper, most or all of the residue can be removed with no solvent residue left.If the residue has started to bond with the paper, a stain will be left (lesser than what is already present).
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
thank you @DarthLego

Right, the ripples on this book are a byproduct of the glued spine.

There are plenty of competent and trustworthy pressers out there that can press out waviness on glued square bounds.

I'm not so sure this is true.

Yes, there are pressers who know how to do it, but I don't know about "plenty." And, because of the nature of these books...one edge, after all, is bound tightly to the spine...it's not something without risk.

Have you ever folded such a cover...?

It's relatively easy to do.

And, of course, because it's glue, which behaves unpredictably when wet (I'm speaking of original manufacture), you're not necessarily going to get all the waves flat.

I'm sure there are plenty of pressers who can smash a square bound...not so sure there are plenty who can do it right.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thank you all for the advice. I think the only way I'll achieve a high grade on this is by getting it pressed so I think it's just a case of finding a quality presser who can do a competent job. Also being in the U.K. somewhat limits me too.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Are we really about to see a debate over the subjective definition and use of the word "plenty?" Oh boy! Where's my popcorn?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Are we really about to see a debate over the subjective definition and use of the word "plenty?" Oh boy! Where's my popcorn?

Not the point, as I'm sure you know.

You're welcome, Nikki. Good luck!

PS. I figured you were probably in the UK...that's where the only copies of this book ended up. All the stateside copies ended up having a date with the shredder, having been recalled.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

Not the point, as I'm sure you know.

You're welcome, Nikki. Good luck!

PS. I figured you were probably in the UK...that's where the only copies of this book ended up. All the stateside copies ended up having a date with the shredder, having been recalled.

You are correct, I misspoke.

"Plenty" of pressers was too liberal of a term.

I have only had 2 squarebound book pressed by anyone but myself, little over 3 years ago.Joey at CFP was that presser.Batman Adv Annual 2, I think...4th Harley Quinn app.

Joey subbed them both for me and I got back a 9.8 and a 9.6.From personal experience alone, Joey does fine work.

If he loves in the UK, shipping one adequately packaged raw would be $40 or so.But tge cost goes down signififantly from there.
Post 12 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
woohoo!

my question really is,

Quote:
woohoo!

my question really is,

This can be eliminated or greatly reduced. I have worked on 4-5 copies of this book in the past and had excellent results.
Post 13 IP   flag post
596795 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?