Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver Age

For Sale: JIM #84 1.0 CBCS Conserved $125OBO2348

Collector adgbiking private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Everyone,

Link to Item - clickable text

I have for sale a copy of Journey Into Mystery #84 1.0 CBCS Conserved Blue . This book as been graded a 1.0 Conserved Blue by CBCS. The book was marked as conserved because of an extra non-manufacture staple being added to the book. The CBCS slab/case is in EXCELLENT condition. No cracks or major scratches, it looks beautiful!What a great key issue as it contains the 2ND APPEARANCE OF THOR! I am also offering FREE SHIPPING!

Thanks!

Aaron
Post 1 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Any pics of it. Thanks
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I am surprised it got a 1. With almost half the cover missing.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Here you go!

Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
I am surprised it got a 1. With almost half the cover missing.

Yeah... I did a little research and found a handful of CBCS graded books that got a 1.0 + with 1/3 of the front cover missing. There must have been coupons or something on the back side of the front cover as it seems to be rather common.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I believe way back in the day, the stores would tear the cover off and would be able to get credit for the book.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I believe way back in the day, the stores would tear the cover off and would be able to get credit for the book.

Close. Comics were sold on a returnable basis - the retailer only paid for copies sold. But the retailer returned the entire comic to the local distributor for credit.

The publishers - not wanting to pay shipping costs for returning all these unsold copies, would have the distributor only return the top portion of the cover for credit.

If you look at the indicia on these old books (the publishing information on the bottom of the first page or inside front cover) you'll even see language that says the book is not to be sold without the cover intact.

Local distributors were supposed to destroy the unsold issues they got credit for (did not pay for) But some - like the one that distributed in my area - would put three different remaindered issues in a plastic bag and sell them for 10-15 cents. Which is why you find these.

It can and did get even more sketchy. For a time publishers experimented with "affidavit" returns. The distributor would simply fill out an affidavit - swearing that X number of copies did not sell and were destroyed. This did not always go well. For the publishers anyway. The Mile High II collection is believed to have a large number of affidavit copies. The local distributor - perhaps in cahoots with organized crime - said books were unsold when in fact they were stolen with an intent to sell them somewhere else.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:

Close. Comics were sold on a returnable basis - the retailer only paid for copies sold. But the retailer returned the entire comic to the local distributor for credit.

The publishers - not wanting to pay shipping costs for returning all these unsold copies, would have the distributor only return the top portion of the cover for credit.

If you look at the indicia on these old books (the publishing information on the bottom of the first page or inside front cover) you'll even see language that says the book is not to be sold without the cover intact.

Local distributors were supposed to destroy the unsold issues they got credit for (did not pay for) But some - like the one that distributed in my area - would put three different remaindered issues in a plastic bag and sell them for 10-15 cents. Which is why you find these.

It can and did get even more sketchy. For a time publishers experimented with "affidavit" returns. The distributor would simply fill out an affidavit - swearing that X number of copies did not sell and were destroyed. This did not always go well. For the publishers anyway. The Mile High II collection is believed to have a large number of affidavit copies. The local distributor - perhaps in cahoots with organized crime - said books were unsold when in fact they were stolen with an intent to sell them somewhere else.

Wow! That is some awesome information. Thanks for sharing!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Still available!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector I_AM_IRON_MAN private msg quote post Address this user
This is a genuine question.

I don't mean to be snooty, but why would anyone bother to get this book graded? Furthermore, as if it came back as a 1.0 ....
Just saying.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Kav private msg quote post Address this user
Price seems a tad high. 4.0's go for around $400
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Journey-Into-Mystery-84-1962-CBCS-Graded-4-0-1st-Jane-Foster-Not-CGC-/311709115005?hash=item48934fa27d%3Ag%3AMgwAAOSw8gVX5CtN&nma=true&si=7uvU14h12DOrsZpPqChClaB0KhU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
You can get a JIM 83 1.0 for less than your asking:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Journey-into-Mystery-83-Aug-1962-Marvel-Huge-Key-CGC-1-0-1-Start-NR-/142231240347?hash=item211da47e9b:g:E6YAAOSwa~BYabFG
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav
Price seems a tad high. 4.0's go for around $400
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Journey-Into-Mystery-84-1962-CBCS-Graded-4-0-1st-Jane-Foster-Not-CGC-/311709115005?hash=item48934fa27d%3Ag%3AMgwAAOSw8gVX5CtN&nma=true&si=7uvU14h12DOrsZpPqChClaB0KhU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Hey Kav,

Now the 4.0 makes sense! And I agree the price of the 1.0 seems high which is why I was wondering why someone would put the money into grading it...

Plus, if a laminated cover is a .5 then surely a little over half cover is a .5...
Post 12 IP   flag post
I admit to being a bit baffled.
Post 13 IP   flag post
From what I'm seeing on ebay that appears to be about a $100 book-or less.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Journey-into-Mystery-84-Sep-1962-Marvel-G-VG-/322435227931?hash=item4b12a3211b%3Ag%3AY7AAAOSw6DtYYT1r&nma=true&si=7uvU14h12DOrsZpPqChClaB0KhU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Post 14 IP   flag post
Might as well just pony up a bit more cash and get a full cover!
Post 15 IP   flag post
yep
Post 16 IP   flag post
Sorry for harshing your sales thread adgbiking, GLWTS!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Likewise
Post 18 IP   flag post
I just realized-maybe he's saying $125 OBO not $1250 BO....
Post 19 IP   flag post
Oh yes, I see haha, never the less you can get a 1.0 full cover, graded, for 175.00.
Post 20 IP   flag post
hm
Post 21 IP   flag post
Remember folks-don't leave out the spaces in your listings!!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav
Remember folks-don't leave out the spaces in your listings!!

Rules to live by!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav
I just realized-maybe he's saying $125 OBO not $1250 BO....

@Kav, you're right, his ebay listing (available at the link in the original post) is priced at $124.99.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
And I should add that I misread it the same way! Cheers!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Lol yes $125 OBO. Anyways im going to send it to auction tomorrow at 8PM central so if anyone wants it before then let me know. You can have it for $100 shipped.

Thanks
Post 27 IP   flag post
600440 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?