Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

How Do You Identify a 9.8?2343

Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
While it would be nice to get notes that were more specific, I'm not sure that's realistic given the time constraints. That's my best, educated guess.

Are the notes any better "across the street?" I know they charge for them over there. I appreciate the free "bullet points", but I'd be willing to pay the $5 (anywhere) if could get REALLY DETAILED notes about why my book got the grade it got.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckJohnson
Quote:
While it would be nice to get notes that were more specific, I'm not sure that's realistic given the time constraints. That's my best, educated guess.

Are the notes any better "across the street?" I know they charge for them over there. I'd be willing to pay the $5 (anywhere) if could get REALLY DETAILED notes about why my book got the grade it got.

From my experience no, they are not. I've only bought graders notes a few times, when it might have been worth CPR'ng it to try to get the bump from 9.6 to 9.8.

Here is an example for an Avengers #144 I sent in to CGC in 2015 that came back a 9.6:

"Spine stress lines"
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Are the notes any better "across the street?" I know they charge for them over there. I'd be willing to pay the $5 (anywhere) if could get REALLY DETAILED notes about why my book got the grade it got.

It needn't be any additional work or effort. They don't need to have a tape measure on hand. With experience, one learns what is 1/16", 1/8", 1/4", etc.

It takes as much effort to record "...2.5" crease" as it does "...large crease."

But the benefit to the customers is out of this world, because now we're dealing with precision.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
When you hold the book just right under a bright light, it should create an effect similar to the one shown in the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjYciW9sVCE

sweet...I will look for that.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
"You said it was a 3" crease, and it's really 3 1/4"!! I want my money back!!"

Granted, and those crazies will come, because they're already out there.

However...that's easily dealt with in the terms and conditions disclaimer, with an addendum that says "all measurements are approximations, made to the best of our ability."

...which covers them, but still allows for much greater precision.

It's a lot better than "large crease", which could be, what...1"? 2"? 4"? 6"?
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Here's what got me a 9.0 on what I was hoping was a 9.4 to 9.6. I have 5 copies of this comic, acquired through various means (5 different ways)...all have the same "production crease" which I thought would not be held against me too bad...I sent in the 2 I thought were the best candidates (CBCS) to see how they faired...they were nearly identical from what I could tell...I'll likely hold onto these and get them pressed and regarded in the future to see if I can remove the production crease...I'll have to measure to see what constitutes "tiny" or "small"...they should arrive today or tomorrow.

The 9.0 Notes:
production crease left edge back cover
small crease top spine back cover breaks color

The 9.2 notes:

production crease left edge back cover
tiny tear bottom spine
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector slym2none private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
It helps to be checking the spine and corners under bright halogen lights and at angles. Front and back covers.

I agree with this post - bright lights and holding the book at multiple angles, along with some sort of magnifying device, is a great start.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
You grade the book yourself using an comic grading guide by overstreet! lol
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Unless the comic grading companies have to develop a uniformed standard of grading then they have no reason to provide the grading standards they use to make themselves different from the other grading company down the street.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Unless the comic grading companies have to develop a uniformed standard of grading then they have no reason to provide the grading standards they use to make themselves different from the other grading company down the street.

But it would be nice to know in terms of consistency.
I agree they probably never will.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS

There is no reason and no upside to make that information public. It would just make the company that did it a target for a bunch of complaints from customers, and vitriol from the so-called experts.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS

There is no reason and no upside to make that information public. It would just make the company that did it a target for a bunch of complaints from customers, and vitriol from the so-called experts.

I completely agree. By not disclosing their guideline, they're (CBCS & CGC) protected against their inconsistency. Why open themselves to a headache?

I haven't looked into CBCS inconsistency, so I don't know how it stacks up to CGC's. Certainly not as much.

I'm just saying in general I'd like to know what is.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

From my experience no, they are not. I've only bought graders notes a few times, when it might have been worth CPR'ng it to try to get the bump from 9.6 to 9.8.

Here is an example for an Avengers #144 I sent in to CGC in 2015 that came back a 9.6:

"Spine stress lines"

That makes sense to me.

Spine stress lines, on a 9.6 book, would not break color.

By definition, spine stress lines do not break cover inks.

Spine ticks, orr transverse spine stress lines, would be strong enough to break cover inks.

I'd say that your 9.6 slab would be a very solid CPR 9.8 candidate.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"Spine stress lines"

That makes sense to me.

Spine ticks, orr transverse spine stress lines, would be strong enough to break cover inks.

It had already been pressed. It had a white spine miswrap and on close inspection you could see a few stress lines and there was no pressing those out. Anyway, I sold it for a still standing GPA high for a 9.6
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"Spine stress lines"

That makes sense to me.

It had already been pressed. It had a white spine miswrap and on close inspection you could see a few stress lines and there was no pressing those out. Anyway, I sold it for a still standing GPA high for a 9.6

Congrads on getting a GPA high for your 9.6.

I'm still not convinced that a CPR couldn't get the spine stress lines pressed out, though.

Especially if the book had a miswrap with a white strip along the spine...white spines make color breaks virtually impossible.

I'll add that just because the book had already been pressed, doesn't mean a second press wouldn't wash out the stress lines.

Spine stress lines could have occured after the book was pressed, while in transit to CGC.

Even slight mishandling of a rock solid pressed 9.8 book will cause spine stress lines.

I had a raw Preacher 1 signed by Fabry at Wizard Philly last summer.I pressed it before the show and it woukd have vome back at a 9.8 if I had not had it signed.

After Fabry signed it, I temoved the window bag and re-bagged it into a new Mylite2 and 3 full backs...unfortunately, there was no flat surfaces to lay the book on while rebagging it ( the tables were all kinda shoddy) so I bagged the book in mid air and caused a few spine stress lines.

I decided to roll the dice and hopr for a 9.8, instead of having CCS press the book as I figured even fast tracked pressing at around $50 would still take a month...in addition to a month to have the book graded via fast track as I got to the show too late for onsite grading.

Of course I got back a 9.6 with graders' notes indicating spine stress lines (and something like very slight wear at bottom corner of spine).

I am STILL sitting on that book, been on eBay since the last episode of Preacher season 1 aired.
Not going to lower the price because I think it would likely catch a 9.8 if CPR'd....plan on having Ennis sign it and than having it pressed by CCS, if it doesn't sell for at least $550, in the meantime via BIN.

Of course, I haven't seen your Avengers 144 so I'm going on a hunch.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector FN_2199 private msg quote post Address this user
Those sticky fingerprints seem to sneak up on me when subbing a book with a black cover. Watch out for those. It's hard to get a 9.6 with a barely noticeable fingerprint on an otherwise seemingly 9.8 book.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"Spine stress lines"

That makes sense to me.

Congrads on getting a GPA high for your 9.6.

I'm still not convinced that a CPR couldn't get the spine stress lines pressed out, though.

Especially if the book had a miswrap with a white strip along the spine...white spines make color breaks virtually impossible.

I'll add that just because the book had already been pressed, doesn't mean a second press wouldn't wash out the stress lines.

Spine stress lines could have occured after the book was pressed, while in transit to CGC.

Even slight mishandling of a rock solid pressed 9.8 book will cause spine stress lines.

I had a raw Preacher 1 signed by Fabry at Wizard Philly last summer.I pressed it before the show and it woukd have vome back at a 9.8 if I had not had it signed.

After Fabry signed it, I temoved the window bag and re-bagged it into a new Mylite2 and 3 full backs...unfortunately, there was no flat surfaces to lay the book on while rebagging it ( the tables were all kinda shoddy) so I bagged the book in mid air and caused a few spine stress lines.

I decided to roll the dice and hopr for a 9.8, instead of having CCS press the book as I figured even fast tracked pressing at around $50 would still take a month...in addition to a month to have the book graded via fast track as I got to the show too late for onsite grading.

Of course I got back a 9.6 with graders' notes indicating spine stress lines (and something like very slight wear at bottom corner of spine).

I am STILL sitting on that book, been on eBay since the last episode of Preacher season 1 aired.
Not going to lower the price because I think it would likely catch a 9.8 if CPR'd....plan on having Ennis sign it and than having it pressed by CCS, if it doesn't sell for at least $550, in the meantime via BIN.

Of course, I haven't seen your Avengers 144 so I'm going on a hunch.

You may be right, I guess it's possible it could've come back a 9.8, I've certainly received 9.8's that didn't look as good as that 9.6. The stress lines I saw in the slab did not look pressable to my eye and it just didn't seem worth the extra time as I sold the book at the exact right time.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector slym2none private msg quote post Address this user
I identify as a helicopter.

*WHUPWHUPWHUPWHUPWHUPWHUPWHUP*
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
I've sent about 10 comics in to CGC and CBCS now...the highest grade I've received one 9.6 with no notes to help me determine why a 9.8 wasn't achieved. All others were 9.4's and below...

IMHO its kinda of a game of roulette between the 9.6 and 9.8. One big thing to look for is ANY spine or staple defects and also look to see all the corners are sharp and square and have no "grab" or "bump" marks
Post 44 IP   flag post
598088 44 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?