Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

What Scanner is the Best Scanner23

Collector Oldbsturgeon private msg quote post Address this user
we have this Konica Minolta copier at work that allows for scanning and so I wanted to see what a book looked like under a scan. it came out really well I think and you can read the cert # on it really well too. I put it through photobucket and so the image is smaller than the actual scan but it defaults to 1200 dpi I believe so its pretty big as a raw scan but its also quite clear.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I use the Microtek Scanmaker 9700XL because I can also use it for my OA and it is the best! As IronMan stated you want to look for a CCD scanner which has more in depth scanning. I have yet to upgrade my Windows because I don't want to use a third party scanning software in order to use my old scanner. I think I have to buy a new computer and just leave this old one exclusively for scanning.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector WalkinWillie private msg quote post Address this user
This is from my HP scanjet 8200 - nice over sized scanner
Post 28 IP   flag post
Regarding scanners, I know some have a black background and some have a white background which would be the best to use in order to optimize slab highlighting?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector KevinGawthrope private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgreenham
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGawthrope
yeah, I was still doing tests this weekend...here's one with no bag. Probably the better way to go. LOL! :-)

Ooh, I like this book!
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Sqeggs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
I use the HP 8300. Not the cheapest, but makes great scans of slabs. It was recommended to me by greggy, so it has the stamp of approval

I have the HP8300 as well. It does well with raw books and pretty well with SA and later books. Scans of GA slabs--at least CGC ones--usually have some glare that's difficult to avoid.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
I use the Microtek Scanmaker 9700XL because I can also use it for my OA and it is the best! As IronMan stated you want to look for a CCD scanner which has more in depth scanning. I have yet to upgrade my Windows because I don't want to use a third party scanning software in order to use my old scanner. I think I have to buy a new computer and just leave this old one exclusively for scanning.

I have a Microtek 9700XL as well. I purchased my HP Scanjet 8300 when I upgraded to Win 7 because there were no Microtek drivers for the 9700XL. However, I later learned about the existence of third party scanning software. VueScan is the one I am aware of that a lot of comic collector types use. $50, well reviewed and works with just about every scanner made with the most recent versions of Windows and Macs.
Link
https://www.hamrick.com/

If I had known about VueScan before I purchased the HP Scanjet, I probably wouldn't have bought the HP.

There are advantages to both (HP Scanjet 8200-8300 and Microtek 9600-9800 series) The Microteks have a huge scan bed -11x17 - so if you collect original art they are great. But because the scan bed is so big they are slower to scan. I found the HP's more accurate "out of the box" but there is a lot more tweaking you can do with the Microteks.

If you already own a Microtek 9600-9800, the VueScan software is cheaper at $50 than another scanner and lets you update to the latest version of Windows or Mac. If you don't already own a scanner that is good for slabs, you'll save time and $$ just purchasing the HP's, as up to date driver software can be downloaded off the HP website.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Nino_013 private msg quote post Address this user
Scanned this with my Epson V37. Its not a legal size scanner so i have to scan twice and join the 2 images together. Butt its relatively cheap and affordable
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector outlawmonster private msg quote post Address this user
I love my MICROTEK!
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector FireEmblem77 private msg quote post Address this user
So basically any scanner at Office depot and the like, do not have scanners with CCD tech?
Post 35 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Both of these were scanned with an HP Scanjet 8300...

There are tricks to limiting the amount of glare.
Leaving the scanner door open and applying mild to moderate hand pressure during the scan (on back of slab opposite glare) can reduce or eliminate most glare.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector outlawmonster private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica best thing I found to reduce glare is take a slab of foam and cut a square the size of a graded case out of the middle and the thickness should be just slightly higher than the case. Then close the top of the scanner on it, and scan away!
Post 37 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEmblem77
So basically any scanner at Office depot and the like, do not have scanners with CCD tech?

Not sure what the office supply stores carry, but it must be a legal sized scanner to work with slabs. Books can be scanned in smaller scanners, but you would have to scan the book twice and stitch the images together using software
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
Which HP Scanjet is the best? How much $ do they run?
Post 39 IP   flag post
@Nino_013 Great sketch!
Post 40 IP   flag post
@Odins_Raven HP 8200 or 8300. I'm not sure they make them anymore, so you may have to find a used one on eBay or Craigslist. New they were $300, but you should be able to find one for a third of that, if not less
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
@Odins_Raven HP 8200 or 8300. I'm not sure they make them anymore, so you may have to find a used one on eBay or Crsigslist

Thank you! Very helpful.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector Louis_Vauquelin private msg quote post Address this user
So glad this question was asked, no comics board is complete without this thread :cloud9
Post 43 IP   flag post
I have Windows 7 and my Microtek 9800XL software works fine with it.
Post 44 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
I have Windows 7 and my Microtek 9800XL software works fine with it.

Yeah, my Microtek 800 even works with Windows 10.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
For newer versions of Mac you'll probably need to download a patch for HP Scanjets as the most recent versions won't readily support it. HP legal document size scanners are reliable and versatile, so it's worth looking into. This may not be an issue with Windows, but I haven't used Microsoft products for years. Someone else will probably know.
Post 46 IP   flag post
When I get some time I'll put together a list of recommended legal sized scanners and post it in here
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector Sqeggs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
For newer versions of Mac you'll probably need to download a patch for HP Scanjets as the most recent versions won't readily support it. HP legal document size scanners are reliable and versatile, so it's worth looking into. This may not be an issue with Windows, but I haven't used Microsoft products for years. Someone else will probably know.

When I got my HP 8300 a couple of years ago, I tried to find updated drivers for the Mac, but HP seems to have stopped supporting those scanners for later versions of the Mac OS. I ended up buying VueScan, which works well and seems to be continually updated.
Post 48 IP   flag post
@Sqeggs Thanks for that info. When I make the list, I'll be sure to add to so people know
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector Nino_013 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven
@Nino_013 Great sketch!
Thank you. Not sure why scan is blurry after I uploaded tho. I swear its clearer than that lol
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector jeffersondb84 private msg quote post Address this user
Can CBCS scan the slabs for you?? Might cost extra but good for lazy people. This would be helpful for folks that sell the books.
Post 51 IP   flag post
@jeffersondb84 Yes, they can:

Image add-on
(encapsulated front)

members:$6/book
non-members:$5/book

Free Image for 1-day tier
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector jeffersondb84 private msg quote post Address this user
Nice. Thanks for the info!
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector KevinGawthrope private msg quote post Address this user
Great tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawmonster
@CatmanAmerica best thing I found to reduce glare is take a slab of foam and cut a square the size of a graded case out of the middle and the thickness should be just slightly higher than the case. Then close the top of the scanner on it, and scan away!
Post 54 IP   flag post
598060 54 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?