Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

Finding a comics worth, to slab or not.2284

Collector FootNote private msg quote post Address this user
So, I just got back from an estate sale. Honestly I have no idea what I was looking for, but they had comic books so I figured it was worth checking out. Ended up buying 24 comics for $26 dollars. I mainly picked out the comics that had good cover art, or seemed to be introducing new heroes or villains.

Whats a good way to find out worth? I am almost positive that not a single one is going to be worth more than I paid but, on the off chance I want to make sure none are worth getting slabbed.

For example, I have Batman and the Outsiders #11 As you can see from mycomicshop.com this is worth somewhere from $1-$4, looking on eBay that seems about right, then you see a slabbed one for $125 thats graded 9.4.

Same again with Avengers #209. Can be very cheap but in a slab, and its $50-80.

I am just hoping to find out a reliable source of checking a comics price.

Now, of course a comic book is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay but there is other reasons to get them graded, such as preserving them, or even dressing them up. End of the day, I will still have have some new-to-me amazing looking comics. I just want to make sure I slab comics that are actually worth it, and I don't slab something that is worthless.

Edit to add list of comics:

Ms. Mystic #1
Batman and the Outsiders #4
Batman and the Outsiders #11
Starman #1 (DC, Oct88)
Tales of the Teen Titans #52 (Introducing Cheshire)
Avengers #209 (The Resurrection Stone)
Avengers #217 (Return of the WASP and Yellowjacket)
Avengers #210 (Wrath of the Weatherman)
Avengers #197 (The untold story)
Avengers #230 (Yellowjacket no more!)
Avengers #236 (Spiderman --avenger--?)
The Spectre #1 (Apr87)
Americomics #2-5
The Mighty Crusaders #1 (Red Circle Comics)
Daredevil #201
Spiderman and Ms. Marvel(Jan77)
Hercules Prince of Power #1
Doctor Who #1 (Oct84)
The West Coast Avengers #1
Tales of the Legion of Super-Heroes #315
The Omega Men #1
Post 1 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
List them and we can tell u
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11
List them and we can tell u

Just updated the original post. I didn't want to come here looking for people to do my work for me, but I won't complain about any help!
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I check heritage, ebay, and my go-to subscription nostomania.com is what I use mobile when comic hunting. Lately the shops I've visited seem to be cellphone deadzones, which can be quite frustrating
Post 4 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Unless you think any of those are going to be 9.6 or higher don't waste your money getting them graded.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
Unless you think any of those are going to be 9.6 or higher don't waste your money getting them graded.

Maybeeee one or two.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
That is a rough looking list.

You might need 9.8s for grading to make sense (factoring in selling fees, return shipping, etc.).

Pick out the highest graded books (from your estimation) and look at completed ebay listings (or GPA) to determine what a 9.6 or 9.8 would go for. If the prices are high enough you could submit them for a pre-screen.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
That is a rough looking list.

You might need 9.8s for grading to make sense (factoring in selling fees, return shipping, etc.).

Pick out the highest graded books (from your estimation) and look at completed ebay listings (or GPA) to determine what a 9.6 or 9.8 would go for. If the prices are high enough you could submit them for a pre-screen.

The key is to pick around all the good ones. That way you know your getting your $1's worth.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think I would slab any of them for financial reasons but as you said in your original post, there are Quote:
Originally Posted by FootNote
other reasons to get them graded, such as preserving them, or even dressing them up

That's a decision that you need to make based upon your own preferences. If I was slabbing because I liked the artwork or character, there might be one or two I'd send in.

Good luck.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Comicdey private msg quote post Address this user
I'd pass on anything from that list unless 100% flawless and even then I'd likely look for books of higher general interest. Enjoy them. Read them but don't throw good money at bad. Become more educated before spending any money slabbing. My 2c
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I would not invest the money on getting any of those books graded. That is some pretty good reading for what you spent on them though. I like to use comicsmv. They will show you what the books have actually sold for and I can even pick the book and grade out and it will show me the sales history and the average sales for the book. My rule of thumb is I try to choose books that will have at least a $100 value once graded. IMO that would justify the expense of getting it pressed and graded. Good luck on the hunt @FootNote
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@FootNote One more important thing. It is ALL about condition. Unless it is a real Key then the condition may not be as critical especially looking for books in the wild.
Post 12 IP   flag post
600698 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?