Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedGrading Help NeededQuestions

CBCS Label errors (PLS consider correcting)228

Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
Thought I'd start this thread, to point out any label errors we see, for corrections considered in future slabs.

Here's my first observation:

DC's Legends #1 (1986)
- 1st appearance of Amanda Waller, Brimstone, Glorious Godfrey, Macro-Man
- Death of Macro-Man
*Reference: DC Wikia (clickable text)

I saw a slab of the same book being sold online, and it's only displaying Brimstone's 1st appearance & origin, not even Amanda Waller (who's more usable in film and TV and have already appeared on CW-verse).
It also displays Macro-Man's Death, but not his 1st appearance (in the same book):

clickable text

I'm about to submit this book, so it's quite concerning that not all the key details are outlined on the label. You'll never know when these characters are used on TV and in film, so it should be good to indicate all 1st appearances in the book, don't you think?

Your thoughts, CBCS, please?
Thanks in advance.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector WCollecbales private msg quote post Address this user
Giant Size X-Men #1, doesn't mention that the book has the 1st app of Illyana Rasputin.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't call this one an "error" per se but inline with this same topic, I had a captain America #332 graded by both CGC and CBCS and I was bummed to get the CBCS one back with no label notes whereas the CGC one noted Steve Rogers resigning as Cap. I get that his resignation isn't a huge deal but it at least seems note worthy over being blank. Of course the CBCS one got 9.8 so now I'm torn with which one to display.

Post 3 IP   flag post
We (the owners of the book) probably have a say at what should be put in the book. I haven't tried it, but in my next submission, I'll add in the NOTES field everything I'd expect to be noted

That book @RyanHicks, the resignation of Cap should've been significant, that's part of the reason you submitted it, right?

My only problem with adding NOTES myself on the submission line items, is that if I miss anything, CBCS may not put it at all on the label, taking my word for it instead!

What do you think?
Tagging @The_Watcher, supreme forum leader, if you could please share your thoughts on the topic, and if CBCS can take these note suggestions moving forward.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeffie
That book @RyanHicks, the resignation of Cap should've been significant, that's part of the reason you submitted it, right?

Yes, my hope was that someday, if Stan Lee ever retires and does one final signing before his retirement, I was going to have him sign this book and see if CBCS would add "Signed by Stan Lee at his retirement".
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector WCollecbales private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
My only problem with adding NOTES myself on the submission line items, is that if I miss anything, CBCS may not put it at all on the label, taking my word for it instead!

My suggestion is take the existing label, copy it word for word, then add in what they don't mention.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCollecbales
Quote:

My suggestion is take the existing label, copy it word for word, then add in what they don't mention.

Yup, I'll do that approach... But I wonder how CBCS can standardize the labels they churn out, and what it's based off of.

Another example is the Harley Quinn #26 - it was supposed to be the 1st appearance of Red Tool in a cameo, but there are online auctions that show no notes of a 1st appearance at all.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
Walking Dead #1 should say first appearance of the Walking Dead.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Nico private msg quote post Address this user
I found a few label errors too.
My two iron man 55 came back a 3 and a 4 :o
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ok, technically, the Batman Adventures #12 Megacon Exclusive is a reprint of Batman Adventures #12. Why doesn't it show in the CBCS label notes?

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Nico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Thought I'd start this thread, to point out any label errors we see, for corrections considered in future slabs.

Here's my first observation:

DC's Legends #1 (1986)
- 1st appearance of Amanda Waller, Brimstone, Glorious Godfrey, Macro-Man
- Death of Macro-Man
*Reference: DC Wikia (clickable text)

I saw a slab of the same book being sold online, and it's only displaying Brimstone's 1st appearance & origin, not even Amanda Waller (who's more usable in film and TV and have already appeared on CW-verse).
It also displays Macro-Man's Death, but not his 1st appearance (in the same book):

clickable text

I'm about to submit this book, so it's quite concerning that not all the key details are outlined on the label. You'll never know when these characters are used on TV and in film, so it should be good to indicate all 1st appearances in the book, don't you think?

Your thoughts, CBCS, please?
Thanks in advance.

If you want anything on the label, that is not already part of Their standard, then Just put it in the notes and they Will look into it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Ok, technically, the Batman Adventures #12 Megacon Exclusive is a reprint of Batman Adventures #12. Why doesn't it show in the CBCS label notes?

What's wrong with this label? I don't understand.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
I would just like to add that I would not expect any grading company to be completely up on first appearance or "key" story arcs/history points. I am sure there are plenty of examples out there of first appearances being missed. You could also run into the annoying problem currently where some "first appearances" are a freaking body part (Dooomsday's hand, Venom's arm) are not known until well after the fact. I am not really fond of the retroactive allocation of first appearances when the marketplace cannot even decide what qualifies a first appearance in the first place.

Take the first appearance of Wolverine, full image and named in 180 but it garners less than say Darkseid's first appearance where Darkseid is referred to but his actual appearance is really just a undetailed smudge on a postage stamp sized TV screen.

Also, it seems that for many people it only really matters to mention some character's first appearance when they are finally marketable. There have been a number of characters that nobody really gave a crap about but as soon as they are on TV or in a movie do they suddenly care (such as iZombie, Antman, X-23,etc). Similarly, there is the problem of just which "key" event/incident get listed? Retirements? Deaths? Costume changes? Mantle changes? Or which story arc? Is it universally decided that this story arc or event or first appearance is even worth noting? What one person sees as important may vary. So does that mean list everything or list nothing?

I like that the customer can have input, but whether or not all of those requests actually matter enough to be on every label of that issue is another story altogether.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:

I'm gonna guess that mentioning the fact that it is an exclusive and the printing date is a couple of decades after the original printing is hint enough that it is a reprint.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Oxbladder Great input, thanks for that. But yeah, it's worth noting everything rather than miss out, as preferably we only slab books once in a lifetime to truly preserve their condition.

So if I wanted to specify what I wanted to note in the label, CBCS will honor the request, @SteveRicketts?
Could you please give examples of how it is noted, or how you want it noted?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
So if I wanted to specify what I wanted to note in the label, CBCS will honor the request, @SteveRicketts?

I sure hope not, that would get ridiculous real quick.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:

No, but we will take it into consideration. Ultimately we decide if the comment has merit, if so we'll go with it.

We do get requests that make it to the label. Others don't.
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts If I submit a Batman/Superman #8 can I get it to say "1st new appearance of Supergirl/Kara Zor-El" instead of just "Supergirl appearance?"
Post 18 IP   flag post
no
Post 19 IP   flag post
In explanation, we're not dealing with the new DC universe appearances. We'll never get anything done.

The first appearance of Kara Zor-El is Action Comics #252.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts just for clarification how does CBCS decide what notes make it to the label?
Post 21 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts Fair enough, figured I'd ask.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
With "New" being the operative word about every year in the Big 2, noting it on the label could get pretty messy, and would look almost (if not) ridiculous when viewing a character's entire history (i.e. 7 first appearances).
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS if i send you this will you fix it for free

Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
@SteveRicketts just for clarification how does CBCS decide what notes make it to the label?

On something out of the ordinary, usually by the graders discussing it.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
EDIT

Misread your post.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
CBCS if i send you this will you fix it for free

Send an email to Customer Service at customerservice@cbcscomics.com and ask.
They are the ones who deal with issues like that.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Guys don't bother Steve, he's busy prepping his motorcycle to jump that shark tank on the 15th.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
EDIT

Misread your post.
I saw what you said you said "funny post" for that I give you this paesano
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder

On something out of the ordinary, usually by the graders discussing it.

Thank you. Much appreciated
Post 30 IP   flag post
601342 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?