Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

Help grading this plz (and to slab or not?)2242

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Just got this back from press. I wont be keeping this book, as its not quite as high of a grade as I thought it could be. The problem I have is whether or not to slab and sell, or just sell raw. I'm not very good in determining grades 7.5 -4.0, I think if its under 5 there's no point slabbing,so am very interested in other's opinions here.

Also, a shout out to CFP comics for doing a great job pressing this book! There were severe bends throughout the book and it was previously pressed badly by an amateur.

CBCS Slab cost: $81 shipped

Recent sales data:
Raw:
$620 Very nice looking book (nm) but a 3" tear on the centerfold
$426 nice book few spine tics but filthy with rusty staples and needs press badly
$358 several spine tics, some pressable bends 1/2" spine split
$302 beautiful book with few spine tics white pages but a 1" vertical tear in the bottom middle of the book that goes all the way through each page

Slab:
9.0 $3,585
7.0 $896
6.0 $795
6.0 $525
4.5 $207
4.0$255
2.5 $149

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
It's around 6.0, maybe better (looking at it on my phone) but those stains might hold it back a bit . . .
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
I'd say a 5, but I'd slab it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector JCage private msg quote post Address this user
I'd say 6.5 cgc and 6.0 Cbcs
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Revan_Q private msg quote post Address this user
That's one of the nicest copies I've seen of this book.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slq955
That's one of the nicest copies I've seen of this book.

Thanks. I was hoping for 7+ and would have kept it then, but I just dont see it breaking 6.5. Maybe I'm wrong though. Or maybe its a 4.0 lol IDK
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
It doesn't have creases on the cover and the spine looks decent, so it's definitely better than 4.0+, but since I can't play with it in my grubby little paws I can't readily see any other issues (fingerprints, loss of gloss, almost color breaks, etc). If I saw it online I'd bid on it as if it were 6.0 and hope for better
Post 7 IP   flag post
No fingerprints, very glossy, color breaks only on the back of the spine where it is white
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
What I'd do is send it in with a 5.0 grade screen and select Raw Grade if it fails screen.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Not a bat idea, but if it goes lower than 5 it'll toe the line at $250. Not sure how tight they will be on that.

Probably the best plan at this point though 🍺
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I like @DarthLego idea. That is still a nice book and desirable. I sold one raw that was beat to hell for $150 a year ago.
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I'd set the screen to whatever grade breaks $250 just to be safe.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer - there's a 5.5 graded copy of this in this weekends Heritage Auctions. You might want to look at the scans of that copy and see what the winning bid goes for.
Post 13 IP   flag post
601269 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?