Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Restoration and ConservationQuestions

Will pressing improve this grade?2241

Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Need your advice forum members. Will pancaking this book improve the grade? What's your opinion? Obviously the bends on the front and back can be pressed out but the spine wear worries me. Please refer to the picture. The ware shown runs along the entire spine.

Current grade: CBCS 9.0

Notes:
2" bend top right front cover
spine wear & stress breaks color
very light surface wear back cover some breaks color
2" bend left bottom edge back cover

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Would spend my money on something else
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
Pressing it might raise it 2 points. It's the colour breaks and the spine that are dropping the grade. I wouldn't be surprised if it came back the same or even a lower grade. If it were my book, I'd sell it to someone who wants a 9.0 and put that money plus the pressing and regrading fees towards a higher graded book.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I would leave it be. Unless a 2 point bump could raise the value above what the cost will be after pressing and resubmitting it. That is even if you get the bump up in the grade.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the feedback. 😀
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
The feathering on the spine is production related, in this book it looks particularly pronounced so the book gets downgraded.....probably not by as much as you may think, though.

I have yet to see a single copy of Preacher 1, Sandman 1 and Infinity Gauntlet 1 in CBCS 9.8 or CGC 9.8, that did NOT have some degree of feathering.

Hard to say without a FC and BC scan but based on only the notes provided and the (not very illuminating) pic, a CPR by a competent presser would likely give you a 9.2 to a 9.6....better odds on a 9.2 / 9.4.
Post 6 IP   flag post
596795 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?