Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection Thread #22223

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
So the day after I got a bunch of books at my local Clifton show (about two weeks ago) I visited with family and spent the night in Lancaster, Pa. On the way home I visited my friend's comic store in Allentown and finally got to see his warehouse. Between some bronze age books I picked out myself and some other books he thought I would like I ended up with about 48 comics. When he gave me a total instead of haggling on price I asked him to throw in a statue I had my eye on during his Black Friday sale before settling on a die cast Bat Mobile instead (at that time). During the sale there were several of these statues available but the one pictured below was the last one.

Here is my haul from that visit:

Post 826 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
The statue is troubling on many levels, so I want one now.
Post 827 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
The statue is troubling on many levels, so I want one now.
Apparently there is a red skirt variant that has less copies made. Even though it is the more common version I am happy to have it.

On Black Friday there were five or six boxes stacked together. This one had to be taken out of a display case and put back in the box for me. Thank God there was no damage to it.
Post 828 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog

First ever magazines graded and the grades were higher than my guesstimates. All 3 were eBay purchases that will go on my comic room wall eventually. I figure I will find some more worthy of submission, as it was a successful experiment.

Outstanding books being listed by you guys! doog's Savage Tales and Savage Sword Conan Books are what REALLY caught my eye! Those are SAVAGLEY beautiful books!

Savage Tales #1 in that 9.6 grade is going to be out of my price range. On the other hand I have been obsessed with obtaining some of the Savage Sword of Conan Mag's myself.

Some of my recent pick ups:

While John Buscema has long defined the Look and Feel of the Conan Character, Ernie Chan's work is stunning in it's own right, and many of the Earl Norem Covers are just master pieces! I love the Savage Sword of Conan Mag and I am most definitely on the hunt for more High Grade Mags!

Savage Sword of Conan #35 (Ernie Chan Art)

Savage Sword of Conan #52 (Ernie Chan Pin Up Art)

Post 829 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@doog That Savage Tales # 1 is nice. I would have gotten it signed by Neal Adams even though he is now $50.

For the love of God, Please DO NOT deface that beautiful book!
Post 830 IP   flag post

Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I could not be happier!
Well, that's not true. I'll be happier when it arrives. So I could not be happier right now.
Well, that's not true either. The seller could contact me offering a discount.
So, realistically, I could not be happier right now.

Post 831 IP   flag post
IG #2 signed by Perez, Starlin, & Rubenstein.
Thor #432 signed by Frenz
DC Crisis #5 signed by Perez, Wolfman, & Ordway.
Star Trek #23 signed by Jansen.

Post 832 IP   flag post
#10 signed by Wrightson.

Post 833 IP   flag post

Post 834 IP   flag post

Post 835 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS

So YOU'RE the one who snagged the 6.0 Batman 227 off eBay ($299 OBO)last week! Was going to make an offer Wednesday when the EBay bucks deal came out (8% on purchases....would have gotten back $20+). But it was gone by the time I was home. Snagged a 5.5 batman 251 instead.

6.0 with white pages doesn't come along too often...
Post 836 IP   flag post
Guilty as charged, and with a big grin I've been making a big push to get keys like this (normally lower on my list) just to change things up. ASM #1 is the next big Marvel book on my list, and I don't see anything causing some dramatic rise in that issue's value, so I'm going to get these now.

Yeah, the white pages cinched it for me.
Post 837 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS well congrats, sir. I'm shocked that it sat on eBay as long as it did. Especially with an OBO. I didn't have the expendable cash until the promo put it in my price range and I sold a few things that day. You got a great comic at a great price, imo.
Post 838 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
@MR_SigS well congrats, sir. I'm shocked that it sat on eBay as long as it did. Especially with an OBO. I didn't have the expendable cash until the promo put it in my price range and I sold a few things that day. You got a great comic at a great price, imo.

Yeah, that is an attractive book.
Post 839 IP   flag post
Thanks, guys.

Luckily I have no problem paying over FMV for something I want. Better than paying an additional $??? in a couple years.
Post 840 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
VERY pleased with the Comic Mint on this book, $13 well spent.

I feel good about this one, although the black spots under the V are an anomaly. The foil hides them, camera made them pop; not nearly as visible in person. Idk what to make of those. It’s a newsstand in good shape, so Im happy

Post 841 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim Some Frazetta, Basil Gogos, Sanjulian, Kenneth Smith, Ken Kelly and Richard Corben.
Really digging the mag. Keeping the Creepy flame alive.
Post 842 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@doog That Savage Tales # 1 is nice. I would have gotten it signed by Neal Adams even though he is now $50.

For the love of God, Please DO NOT deface that beautiful book![/quote
I have never stood in a line for a signature, but if I ever run into Adams or Steranko again and think to ask for a signature, I will have it done on the splash for sure if the autographer is willing.
Post 843 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all!

All the happy are belong to us! Someone *finally* let a Venom #150 Clayton Crain variant out into the wild; & for way less than I was expecting to pay. Side note: I love Canadians...and the current exchange rate. So it'll be taking up residence in the Venom box shortly.

Some other goodies; I picked up a set of the Batman Knightfall arc; not a full set (unfortunately), but they're in beautiful condition. Filling the holes courtesy of mycomicshop.com, and picking up a pair of Batman #500's to go with 'em; not sure if I like the Azrael Armor or traditional batsuit cover more.

Aliens Predator Deadliest of the Species Red & Gold Ashcans; anyone who has a Silver ashcan they are willing to part with, please let me know.

First edition, first printing of Arkham Asylum; appears to be unread, no fingerprints or cover wear.

Uncanny X-Men 139, absolutely beautiful condition.

Finally, a trio of custom ASM# 300 Cover Swipes by Brent Schoonover.

Post 844 IP   flag post
Collector SpeedforceKJ private msg quote post Address this user

very surprised by the 7.0 Tec. Seller had estimated it at a 4.0
Post 845 IP   flag post
Ron Frenz finished my commission (I collect Hulk vs Thing commissions), and will be sending it soon. He sent this scan, showing he absolutely NAILED it! Exactly what I described for him!

Post 846 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS I'm currently waiting on my Frenz commission. I think yours held it all up! Lol. Seriously though, that is beautiful. I went simple and asked for a single figure Spidey. Nothing fancy. Enjoy your great piece.
Post 847 IP   flag post
@AndyRexia Thanks! I commissioned this late Nov last year, and its completion was just about right on time (was told Late Feb- Not focusing on the calendar really helps make the pages turn).

Be happy I didn't ask for it to be inked lol
Post 848 IP   flag post
Quote:
@AndyRexia Thanks! I commissioned this late Nov last year, and its completion was just about right on time (was told Late Feb- Not focusing on the calendar really helps make the pages turn).

Same here. I believe November 27th was the day I paid. I did reach out to his rep and he said Frenz has the flu and was out of commission (see what I did there?) for a week and a half. Maybe mine will be done soon! Again, you have a great piece there.
Post 849 IP   flag post
Mail call courtesy of Jesse O. I finally have a Frank Brunner sketch. I still want to commission him directly but this will hold me over nicely until that day comes. Great packaging and really fast shipping. The frame came from Dave Music on FaceBook.
Post 850 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
Quote:

Same here. I believe November 27th was the day I paid. I did reach out to his rep and he said Frenz has the flu and was out of commission (see what I did there?) for a week and a half. Maybe mine will be done soon! Again, you have a great piece there.

That explains why he apologized "for the delays" when I thanked him. I assured him that, since I was told by the end of Feb and that was only a couple days ago, that's a bulls-eye in today's world.

And I'm sure many here would agree with that.
Post 851 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Just read The Terrifics #1 by Reis and Lamire. It was pretty good. It also had an introduction story for a character named Brimstone. The cover is wacky though. I would recommend it. Also got done reading the second issue of Damage. It was also pretty good.

Post 852 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
My first TMNT

Post 853 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Nice, @poka. I still have to slab mine. If it doesn't get a 9.6 I'll sell it & put the money towards a 9.8.
Post 854 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
A few pick ups today.

The Witching Hour #40. Those black covers! Hardly a flaw on this bad boy. Had to buy it on the cover alone.

Movie hype. Figured what the heck I’ll grab one just in case.

Tryin to get a complete run of the Living Mummy issues in mid/high grade. Nice looking book.
Post 855 IP   flag post
597868 999 30