Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection Thread #22223

Collector Xobairowar private msg quote post Address this user
Just got this back last week! Looks GREAT!
Post 801 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog

First ever magazines graded and the grades were higher than my guesstimates. All 3 were eBay purchases that will go on my comic room wall eventually. I figure I will find some more worthy of submission, as it was a successful experiment.
Love the Savage Tales! Better than my NM copy. Nice!
Post 802 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Couple of recent acquisitions. All the way from Hong Cong. Thanks to poka.

Post 803 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I already have 3 NM copies of Gambit's 1st appearance, so I figured it was time to get the hotter 2nd appearance despite the fugly parallelogram miscut.

I collect covers where characters are surrounded by a circle of enemies, so the 'Tec 411 fits.
Plus Talia, of course.
Fortunately, I'm satisfied with low grade 'keys' or 'hot' books if need be (you should see my Iron Man 55).
When it comes to DC I'm late to the party, being a Marvel fan as a kid and only giving DC's top titles a cursory glance. But that's okay because, while more expensive than if I were a life long fan, it's fun collecting Batman titles. In fact, I'd buy a modern Batman TPB before a modern Marvel TPB without hesitation. I'm sure Marvel has decent reads- don't light the torches , but for me right now, Bats is cooler. It just took me a while to truly appreciate how cool this non-powered hero is.

I like collecting the 1st appearances of Marvel's cosmic comic characters, and needed the ST 138

Post 804 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Some impulse upgrades, since they were affordable.
I've decided to actively hoard at least 4 similarly conditioned copies of 'hot' books because I have 4 grandchildren. Lord knows if they'll even care to keep them when the time comes, but wth, it's fun.

Upgrading my FINE-ish WBN 32 isn't likely to happen any time soon since that kind of money can be used for other biggies, and I like the cover for 33 more anyway, so at almost half of 2017's GPA avg, :takeit:
However, it's interesting to learn what measure of corner creases are allowed on VFs at CGC. Would a CBCS 8.0 have a 3/4" corner crease? Serious question.

The Spider-Woman 1 is just a great cover- There's something more aesthetically pleasing about her look from other curvy female characters of the BA, and Romita scored a bullseye with the art.

And obviously I'll want each of the kids to have a copy of Sandman #1, so I got another.

Post 805 IP   flag post

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@doog That Savage Tales # 1 is nice. I would have gotten it signed by Neal Adams even though he is now $50.
Post 806 IP   flag post
Collector vabchgent private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@doog That Savage Tales # 1 is nice. I would have gotten it signed by Neal Adams even though he is now $50.
Neal Adams upped the price on his signature?
Post 807 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I think he upped it middle of convention season last year...i was going to get some of my lower grade non keys signed last year, but now I'm in the market for just one key book since it's going up so much. Gotta make it worth my time & $$ now.
Post 808 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Devil Dinosaur #1 Newsstand edition from 1978

Also listed a few other over in the golden age thread https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/19/page/55/the-golden-age-of-comics/#1369

I picked up Moon Gurl 1 variant by Trevor Von DOOM and I can't decide if I should keep it or not.

You think MG&DD has got legs?

there has been rumors of a MG ovie for a long time. who knows maybe it will come some day - don’t hold my hopes and not the reason why i bought it for my collection. that was due to the devil dinosaur. love the cover

Ok - we won’t get a movie but Marvel just announced that they are planning for a Moon Girl TV series.
Post 809 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Commission from Sal Velluto. I asked him to do a Punisher #1 homage using the Phantom. Mr. Velluto was more than kind and easy to communicate with. His prices are also very reasonable, $125 shipped. The piece is 8.5"x11". He is also sending me the preliminary sketch at no extra charge. His turnaround was right on time with no delays. Overall it was a very enjoyable experience.

Post 810 IP   flag post
Collector FrankCastle129 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 811 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Picked up two raw comics today that have cover artwork that I have admired for some time. When I walked into a LCS and saw them on the wall, I knew it was time to make the purchase.

Like @FrankCastle129 above, I think this issue would look good with Mike Zeck’s signature (and JB’s too). Just an awesome, old-fashioned brawl with two legends going all-out!

Post 812 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
This one also features Wolverine and the reflection of the titled character. It’s price and popularity seem to be holding pretty steady.

Post 813 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo Those were 2 of my favorites at that time too. I regret getting rid of the multiple copies that I had of Incredible Hulk #340. I remember buying a bunch of them from a dealer's overstock at a comic book show for 25 cents each after they had been out for a few months. Uuhggg.
Post 814 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@esaravo Those were 2 of my favorites at that time too. I regret getting rid of the multiple copies that I had of Incredible Hulk #340. I remember buying a bunch of them from a dealer's overstock at a comic book show for 25 cents each after they had been out for a few months. Uuhggg.

Hopefully you got decent money for them and turned that into some other books for your collection. Let's face it, we can't keep everything forever (at least that's what my wife keeps telling me). So we keep reshuffling the inventory.
Post 815 IP   flag post
One day I'll get a Hulk 340 for my son's collection. Great cover.
Post 816 IP   flag post
@AndyRexia - Knowing you Rob, you'll get the original artwork by McFarlane.
Post 817 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips

Hopefully you got decent money for them and turned that into some other books for your collection. Let's face it, we can't keep everything forever (at least that's what my wife keeps telling me). So we keep reshuffling the inventory.
I sold them a long time ago but remember doing well on them. I think I got between $15-20 a piece for them. That was good at that time.
Post 818 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
Mail call. Thanks for the trade @poka.

And this was my side of the trade. Received it quite some time ago. tks @AndyRexia

Post 819 IP   flag post

Post 820 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@AndyRexia - Knowing you Rob, you'll get the original artwork by McFarlane.

If only...
Post 821 IP   flag post
@poka anytime amigo. Thanks for the trade.
Post 822 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
Finally found some back issues of The Creeps in the wild. Also checked out a new shop in the area. Cool place with a very nice owner.

Post 823 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Some nice stuff there folks!!!
Post 824 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@TellEmSteveDave Who did the art on the "Creepy" books? The detail is impressive.
Post 825 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
So the day after I got a bunch of books at my local Clifton show (about two weeks ago) I visited with family and spent the night in Lancaster, Pa. On the way home I visited my friend's comic store in Allentown and finally got to see his warehouse. Between some bronze age books I picked out myself and some other books he thought I would like I ended up with about 48 comics. When he gave me a total instead of haggling on price I asked him to throw in a statue I had my eye on during his Black Friday sale before settling on a die cast Bat Mobile instead (at that time). During the sale there were several of these statues available but the one pictured below was the last one.

Here is my haul from that visit:

Post 826 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
The statue is troubling on many levels, so I want one now.
Post 827 IP   flag post
Quote:
The statue is troubling on many levels, so I want one now.
Apparently there is a red skirt variant that has less copies made. Even though it is the more common version I am happy to have it.

On Black Friday there were five or six boxes stacked together. This one had to be taken out of a display case and put back in the box for me. Thank God there was no damage to it.
Post 828 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

First ever magazines graded and the grades were higher than my guesstimates. All 3 were eBay purchases that will go on my comic room wall eventually. I figure I will find some more worthy of submission, as it was a successful experiment.

Outstanding books being listed by you guys! doog's Savage Tales and Savage Sword Conan Books are what REALLY caught my eye! Those are SAVAGLEY beautiful books!

Savage Tales #1 in that 9.6 grade is going to be out of my price range. On the other hand I have been obsessed with obtaining some of the Savage Sword of Conan Mag's myself.

Some of my recent pick ups:

While John Buscema has long defined the Look and Feel of the Conan Character, Ernie Chan's work is stunning in it's own right, and many of the Earl Norem Covers are just master pieces! I love the Savage Sword of Conan Mag and I am most definitely on the hunt for more High Grade Mags!

Savage Sword of Conan #35 (Ernie Chan Art)

Savage Sword of Conan #52 (Ernie Chan Pin Up Art)

Post 829 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

For the love of God, Please DO NOT deface that beautiful book!
Post 830 IP   flag post
601341 999 30