Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection Thread #22223

Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammitChris
I picked up a couple of signed books that I am hoping to get pressed and send in to CBCS for the verified red label:

Star Trek Annual 4 (signed by Leonard Nimoy)

I Dream of Jeannie (signed by Barbara Eden)

I don't suppose you could be convinced to part with that Trek Annual, it would go really well with the Shatner signed book I'm waiting to get back from CBCS...
Post 651 IP   flag post
Collector ThorneArt private msg quote post Address this user
Hello All,

Just got this delivered to me. Looks great in person.

Post 652 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user

My first Spawn#1.
Also origin story ASM#181. These were both very clean and in some ignored long boxes. I am happy with picking these up for $12 each. They had 3 more Spawn #1 that I passed on.I needed at least 1 for the collection. There are just so many of them out there but what do you guys think. Leave them there or go back and get them for $12 a piece?
Post 653 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
If they're at least Near Mint Minus, I'd go back for the Spawn #1s. The movie reboot is casting now.
Post 654 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I just got this back from the artist!

The front, you guys have seen before

It went from this

To This (now signed by Jimmy Palmiotti and Joe Quesada)

He finished the back cover, taking this

To This

I especially loved that he didn't just try to recreate the appearance of the original covers

I like how he totally switched the lighting on the back cover. Originally overhead, but now shining up from below. Nice job.
Post 655 IP   flag post

Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
I picked up a couple of signed books that I am hoping to get pressed and send in to CBCS for the verified red label:

Im not familiar with the Jeannie Book. It is very cool. What is the issue date on that book?

John - 2001
Post 656 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

Stapled spines are a different story, Especially if they have a "Print Spine" (see Poka's Superman Book) I don't believe that is a square bound book and almost has to display that way by design. I could be wrong here and maybe poka could shed a bit more light on this. Poka? The Superman book is a stapled spine book, is it not?

Out
John

Yeah - staple spine - 52 pages. just totally miscut (quite a few of this issue are miscut). Here is a picture of one which is not

Poka

Issue's such as these present me with a unique set of variables when it comes to off centered cover and how I personally feel about them.

In the case of these 52 page Giants. They have a printed spine(Title, Issue # etc..) but are not a square bound book, rather a stapled spine. I think in this case I would rather see the "Printed Spine" cleanly down the left side of the book, such as your grade example, as opposed to the version shown above where the cover is technically more centered, but is stapled through the printed part of the spine and obscuring that print. I guess the trade off for being able to clearly see the printed spine is it being off centered or miscut to the right side of the book. Ummmm... did that make any sense at all?

Do I want the book to be off to the right so I can see the printed spine part cleanly?

Do I want the book to be more centered, but with the staples obscuring the printed text on the spine?

Damn OCD will drive ya Nuts!

Wow - actually managed to get you to like an off-center Cover-miracles still happen 😄
Post 657 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@CaptainCanuck Yeah, I really liked his work! I think maybe since the back cover basically began from pencils whereas the front cover was basically inked, he had a little more freedom to change things around
Post 658 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Im not familiar with the Jeannie Book. It is very cool. What is the issue date on that book?

John - 2001

I think I have a different "I Dream of Jeannie" by Airwave. I definitely have a Mr. Maggoo by them.

Post 659 IP   flag post
Collector HammitChris private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

It came out in 2001. Not sure on the exact month though.
Post 660 IP   flag post
I just picked up this Millie the Model from November, 1959. The story was written by Stan Lee. The cover and art were done by Stan Goldberg. Overstreet has "Last Dan DeCarlo issue?" written in their guide for this issue. I'm going to get it pressed and signed by Stan Lee and slabbed. It has some tanning on the inside cover, but I think it will present nicely.

Post 661 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stapled spines are a different story, Especially if they have a "Print Spine" (see Poka's Superman Book) I don't believe that is a square bound book and almost has to display that way by design. I could be wrong here and maybe poka could shed a bit more light on this. Poka? The Superman book is a stapled spine book, is it not?

Out
John

Yeah - staple spine - 52 pages. just totally miscut (quite a few of this issue are miscut). Here is a picture of one which is not

Poka

Issue's such as these present me with a unique set of variables when it comes to off centered cover and how I personally feel about them.

In the case of these 52 page Giants. They have a printed spine(Title, Issue # etc..) but are not a square bound book, rather a stapled spine. I think in this case I would rather see the "Printed Spine" cleanly down the left side of the book, such as your grade example, as opposed to the version shown above where the cover is technically more centered, but is stapled through the printed part of the spine and obscuring that print. I guess the trade off for being able to clearly see the printed spine is it being off centered or miscut to the right side of the book. Ummmm... did that make any sense at all?

Do I want the book to be off to the right so I can see the printed spine part cleanly?

Do I want the book to be more centered, but with the staples obscuring the printed text on the spine?

Damn OCD will drive ya Nuts!

Wow - actually managed to get you to like an off-center Cover-miracles still happen 😄

Hang on a minute now. I said I liked being able to read the printed spine...... BUT I really DON"T like the miscut right side as a trade off.

Flip... Flop.....Flip.....Flop......Flip.....Flop.... ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Post 662 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
Quote:

Star Trek Annual 4 (signed by Leonard Nimoy)

I don't suppose you could be convinced to part with that Trek Annual, it would go really well with the Shatner signed book I'm waiting to get back from CBCS...

I'm not really keen on parting with it, but I would entertain an offer. You can DM me if you like.
Post 663 IP   flag post
OK.... It has arrived! So I obviously was unable to resist obtaining me some Savage Sword of Conan.

No Sense starting anywhere other than the beginning

The Vallejo Cover is just so friggin Awesome!

And here is the book in my proprietary "Cyber Slab"

At this time Im not really trying to complete a run of Savage Sword, but I am most definitely
looking to pick and choose some of these outstanding covers.

The Next one I have in my sights is, Savage Sword of Conan #10 featuring another Kick Ass Boris Vallejo Cover! Unfortunately I seem to have depleted my Comic book funds as of late. Now I have to go and buy something stupid like flooring for my daughters room, or food etc..

Out
John
Post 664 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
The latest addition is thanks to @poka.

This book holds sentimental value for me. It was one of the first comics I was introduced to thanks to my best friend growing up.
Post 665 IP   flag post
@00slim glad that I could help out
Post 666 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorneArt
Hello All,

Red label?
Post 667 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user

Post 668 IP   flag post
Post 669 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS

Really Like this nice looking She-Hulk! It was the only one that hadn't been scribbled on
Post 670 IP   flag post
Weekend Arrival!

I was pretty happy with the book. I initially graded it out at a 9.2 NM, which I think it can realistically pull from TPGers. After going over the book a second time I kept focusing on hint of top right corner wear and decided to go with the more conservative 9.0 VFN/NM. Either way its a beautiful book with tough black cover that still exceeds the minimum 8.0 VFN grade Im looking for.
Post 671 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorneArt
Hello All,

Red label?

CGC used a red label for a brief time to designate the book as Modern.
Post 672 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I have an I Dream of Jeannie also. Signed by the three main actors.

Post 673 IP   flag post
Now I know why the book looked so appealing! It has a Joe Jusko Cover
Post 674 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Really Like this nice looking She-Hulk! It was the only one that hadn't been scribbled on

lol Not yet, anyway.
Post 675 IP   flag post

Post 676 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol Not yet, anyway.

Seriously, congratulations on the collection you have going.

I do understand the popularity and appeal signed books have to collectors, as a purest though, its just not for me. As for the She-Hulk......... NO!!! Don't do it!

Out
John
Post 677 IP   flag post
Lastly, I think, I finally own Kirby art. This is a Sky Masters insert used for when Newspapers ran full Sunday strips. KIRBY and, I believe, Ayers.

Post 678 IP   flag post
My latest Conan Addition. I guess all good things must come to an end.

Ive been having excellent success obtaining nice high grade Conan books as of late, but this book has ended my streak of good luck. It also proves once again how deceiving Scans and Photos can be when trying to access the condition of comic books. Lots of surface issues with the book were fairly undetectable in the photos. It was an Ebay auction book claiming "High Grade" 8.5.

The seller had many other Conan Books of interest to me, but I have learned to test a few sample books before going all in with sellers you have never dealt with before. I took a chance on this one for 5 bucks, Which I suppose is a small price to pay to find out I won't be purchasing any more books from this seller. A filler book for now. #26 remains on my wantlist.

Post 679 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol Not yet, anyway.

Seriously, congratulations on the collection you have going.

I do understand the popularity and appeal signed books have to collectors, as a purest though, its just not for me. As for the She-Hulk......... NO!!! Don't do it!

Out
John

Thanks. The Avengers 1 completes my Avengers 1-300 run. Now to think about completing my ASM 1-300 with ASM 1 and 3. Not as easy
Post 680 IP   flag post
600861 999 30