Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection Thread #22223

Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
...and finally - this one I just bought. Waiting for it to arrive

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Mail man came. Nothing spectacular but I got a few good deals that were too good to pass up.

Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Not a comic. But couldn't pass up this pure nostalgia trip. These were my gateway drug to comic collecting when I was a kid:

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user

Yesterday's mail call. Mid grade but that's ok. It's for my collection. I'm thinking of having Neal Adams sign this next weekend at a con.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Just got this yesterday. One of my all time favorite Spidey covers and in great condition. Love it!!!

Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Picked Archie #27 for $2 at an antique show today. There were 3 other dealers with a few comic books.This was the pick of the litter by far.Here is a nice interior page. From 1947
Post 31 IP   flag post

Post 32 IP   flag post
I can't get over how suggestive and adult themed some of the Golden Age Archie books were. Did they get brought up in the SOTI controversy too or did Archie books get a pass?
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia

Yesterday's mail call. Mid grade but that's ok. It's for my collection. I'm thinking of having Neal Adams sign this next weekend at a con.

Hey, didn't know you were a Deadman fan too. I looked and looked to find a decent copy of #206 and finally got one about a year ago that helped me put together a complete run of the Strange Adventure's Deadman along with the Brave and the Bold #79 and #86 appearances too.
Post 34 IP   flag post
@Foghorn_Sam I have gotten through half of SOTI recently and so far it seems to stay clear of Archie. Dr. Wertham mostly hammers the crime books and some superhero books.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
I can't get over how suggestive and adult themed some of the Golden Age Archie books were. Did they get brought up in the SOTI controversy too or did Archie books get a pass?

I totally agree with this. I still shake my head at the cover of my Archie 78.
Post 36 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Yesterday I went to a local show. Picked up a lot of rank and file stuff to fill in holes in my runs. Digging through the dollar boxes I came across this and I knew what this was unlike that Batman 457.

Post 37 IP   flag post
@Foghorn_Sam yup. Working on a run of SA Deadman. So far I've got 206 and 207. Just getting started.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
@JWKyle I recently picked up a copy of Batman #401 that was a So Much Fun cover... what's the deal with those? (I could google, but that's less fun)
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaboca
@JWKyle I recently picked up a copy of Batman #401 that was a So Much Fun cover... what's the deal with those? (I could google, but that's less fun)
They are harder to find reprints that were distributed in three packs. There are estimates that the print runs where around 5,000 but that's just a rough estimation. With the whole reprints are garbage most felt early on these are pretty scarce in any type of higher grade. This thread is from CGC boards not much info but give you an idea. clickable text

And this is a list of the books.

clickable text
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector SavageFinale private msg quote post Address this user

not really new but i got it signed and remarked by Michael Zeck
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
@JWKyle thanks for the info!
Post 42 IP   flag post
@SavageFinale I like that a lot
Post 43 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
These are new books and - if not sold out - still cover price. I can't get over how great the art is

Post 44 IP   flag post
@Foghorn_Sam now I'll need to pick up those Brave and the Bold books too eventually.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
@Foghorn_Sam now I'll need to pick up those Brave and the Bold books too eventually.

Yes, those two with Batman are the best. Neal Adams' art rocks. I still don't have any high graded copies of #79 or #86. I see a 9.4 #79 on eBay, but the price is too high.
Post 46 IP   flag post
More Deadman goodness.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Now that's what I'm talking about. When I first saw that cover in 1967; I thought "Holy $&#+, who draws comic books like that?" Even at 7 years old I knew this was a step or two beyond anything I'd seen before and had to have it.
Post 48 IP   flag post
DC Big Five War has been a weakness of mine for a couple of years now. Got another earlier one in.

Post 49 IP   flag post
@JWKyle I picked this sweet copy up awhile back. One of my favorite covers of the run, it really pops. Hard to find these DC war books in such nice, clean condition.

Post 50 IP   flag post
@Foghorn_Sam yeah that's a good one. DC war is great some of the covers are just Amazing. Maybe we should start a Big Five DC war thread?
Post 51 IP   flag post
I got my other Frank Miller signed book back from CGC today (it's magazine sized). Sadly, it's going right back to CGC because it was supposed to be pressed but was not. I understand the book is not NM but a press will definitely help it get higher than a 6.5. I'm sending back my other book as well because they got the signing date wrong on it. It was supposed to be pressed too but wasn't. Anyway, here it is. I'm hopeful the press will make it a 7.0 or better.
Post 52 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
@Foghorn_Sam yeah that's a good one. DC war is great some of the covers are just Amazing. Maybe we should start a Big Five DC war thread?

Do it! I'd post a few covers.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
DC Big Five War has been a weakness of mine for a couple of years now. Got another earlier one in.

What year is this #55 from? I notice it just says "Army at War" instead of "Our Army at War". Nice, rare find by the way.
Post 54 IP   flag post
@Foghorn_Sam 1957 and you know what thanks for pointing that out I didn't notice that.
Post 55 IP   flag post
597889 999 30