Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
I've never ordered from them before and was ordering a few cheap books (Xmas presents) last night. When I checked out, I had the option to choose my shipping and the cheapest option was for a company I have never heard of - Lone Star Shipping. By the name, I gather they're based out of Texas, but don't know if they're any good ... or if they're nationwide. They were about 75% cheaper than the next option up, so I want to use them if I can. Does anyone have any experience with them?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
yes - fine to use
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, Lone Star shipping is UPS then often switched to USPS to finish shipping. I believe it's the equivalent of media mail. In fact I just got a box shipped to me this way, everything arrived safe and sound, took about a week though, I'm in CA.

The actual comic book shop is called Lone Star Comics that is where the Lone Star comes from
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector EddiePaxil private msg quote post Address this user
I used that service with no problem one time late last year. In fact I remember it being fast and the book packed well.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector JCage private msg quote post Address this user
It's a very good site and shipping is good you will get your books pretty fast
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector therealtimmyp private msg quote post Address this user
Always had good experiences with them.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks guys.

Just to be clear ... I can choose Lone Star for shipping, & at some point they will might hand my package off to another shipper?
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
The one time i bought a slab from them, the package was almost a mirror image of a CBCS small box. First time getting a box from cbcs I actually thought they copied MCS (but who knows or cares which). Nice packaging regardless.

Dont remember the shipping I chose (but I always go cheapest), and the package arrived from UPS.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Thanks guys.

Just to be clear ... I can choose Lone Star for shipping, & at some point they will might hand my package off to another shipper?

UPS and USPS do the same thing. So as not to fly unfilled planes, USPS will lease space on their planes to UPS and FedEx to haul their 3 day or longer deliveries.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector adampasz private msg quote post Address this user
FYI MyComicShop.com is also called Lone Start Comics. I'm not sure what Lone Star Shipping means, but you should ask their Customer Service if you have any concerns about it.
I have ordered from them about half-a-dozen times. I always choose the cheapest shipping, and I've never had a problem with damaged books (though it can be a bit slow -- 2-3 weeks).

Finally, pro-tip -- they have decent prices and good selection of comic supplies. So, if I have a small order, I usually add some supplies to make it worth the shipping cost.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector adampasz private msg quote post Address this user
Also... you do your Xmas shopping in February???
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Jakernaught private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like this has been covered thoroughly already but "lone star economy" shipping option is just mycomicshop shipping to you UPS with no guarantee of particular arrival date. I've used this for years with no problems. The packaging is nuke-proof and usually arrives well ahead of the projected date. HOW DO THEY DO IT SO CHEAP??? Volume I guess?? I've gotten massive orders shipped for 5$ defies logic I just go with it!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakernaught
Looks like this has been covered thoroughly already but "lone star economy" shipping option is just mycomicshop shipping to you UPS with no guarantee of particular arrival date. I've used this for years with no problems. The packaging is nuke-proof and usually arrives well ahead of the projected date. HOW DO THEY DO IT SO CHEAP??? Volume I guess?? I've gotten massive orders shipped for 5$ defies logic I just go with it!

Volume is the exact way they get it so cheap. UPS has pricing tiers for volume level, which last I checked could be maxed out to 60℅. It's up to the company if they choose to pass on those savings, or if they pocket the difference.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adampasz
Also... you do your Xmas shopping in February???

I hate last minute shopping.

I'm using memory (from my earlier years of collecting - when you could actually read pretty much EVERYTHING that came out) & this list ... clickable text

I have a big family (~60 people).
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
How is the packing and shipping cbcs is doing on your comics at cons?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Update: Order arrived today via USPS.

Order: 30 comics
Shipping chose: Lone Star Shipping (cheapest option)

Took 6 days!

Only negative was the frikin mailman left the box in the snow instead of walking 20 feet & putting it in the garage (as instructed). Luckily, there bagged.

I have found a new "go to" place for comics.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I like using MCS they are probably one of my favorite online retailers. I will say some of the prices especially some consignment items are priced really aggressively. I do like the auction though and their grading is pretty tight. Packaging and shipping is top notch.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Agree @JWKyle. Really like MCS, but their consignment is laughable.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@therealtimmyp I've never used them for sales. What's the issue with their consignment?
Post 19 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@VaComicsGuy - anyone can consign on the site and they get to chose the price (MCS does grade the raw comics). So you will see for example, a Black Panther #1 at 8.5 raw selling for over $215 and a CGC 9.0 selling for $99 right next to each other.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@VaComicsGuy it really isn't MCS rather the price set from the seller. For example, there is a Walking Dead #1 9.8 on their right now at $6,600!!! A few weeks back it was $10,000
Post 21 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Are these sellers just hoping some newb with 10k walks through the door looking for TWD 1 without doing any research first, or even looking on eBay?
Post 22 IP   flag post
601347 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?