Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

CBCS Announces New Service "Raw Grade!"2164

CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS is announcing the launch of its new grading service, Raw Grade. This service is an inexpensive and fast method of providing customers with an independent third-party grade for comic books, magazines or treasury edition books.

This new service is designed for customers who are looking for a fast and reliable grade that will help these collectors sell their books without incurring the full cost associated with traditional grading and encapsulating. This service is directed at those collectors who feel that their return on investment does not warrant traditional grading, those who are seeking to sell their collections quickly and those who choose not to invest in traditional grading.

Books graded using the Raw Grade service are evaluated, graded and placed in a Mylar bag with a backing board. The grade is displayed on a sticker that is adhered to the front of the Mylar bag. The bag is also sealed with a tamper-evident sticker to provide security. The Raw Grade service does not include a restoration check; it is strictly an evaluation of the book’s condition at the time of grading.

The Raw Grade service is not meant to provide long-term protection for comics. Customers wanting to have their books graded and protected should utilize our traditional grading service. Raw Grade is intended to reassure potential buyers about the quality of a book. At the same time, it is perfect for cost-conscious collectors who are selling their books or collections online or through auction houses.

One important feature of the Raw Grade service is that it can be utilized in conjunction with CBCS’s Grade Screen option. When chosen during the submission process, any book that fails its CBCS Grade Screen can automatically be graded using the Raw Grade service.

Click Here to learn more about Raw Grade!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
So the geniuses at CBCS finally put out an official announcement about this at 10 pm on a Friday night. SMH. Isn't that typically when companies announce bad news?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector CosmicReads private msg quote post Address this user
Will this service also offer Yellow Label and Red Label Options? What is the expected savings in shipping costs?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector CosmicReads private msg quote post Address this user
Can this service also be used for TPB's?
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Do you intend to adjust the shipping costs? If so the shopping cart is not working as intended. Because charging the same shipping as slabbed is just
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicReads
Will this service also offer Yellow Label and Red Label Options? What is the expected savings in shipping costs?

No sigs. Just grades.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicReads
Can this service also be used for TPB's?

Yes
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Do you intend to adjust the shipping costs? If so the shopping cart is not working as intended. Because charging the same shipping as slabbed is just

Yeah. Not sure what happened to the shipping charges. I'll have someone look at them on Monday. They're not supposed to be the same as slabbed books.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Am I missing something? Isn't every grade given by CBCS, a "Raw" grade?

These should be called "non-resto graded" books.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

Yes, you're missing the lack of slab, hence the "raw."
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

Yes, you're missing the lack of slab, hence the "raw."

It is still sealed isn't it? A raw book can be touched and read.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak Sheldon isn't just an avatar for you is he?
Post 12 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts will Raw Grades also be lacking online grader notes?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
@conditionfreak Sheldon isn't just an avatar for you is he?

You seem surprised.

Bazinga!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector RareComics private msg quote post Address this user
I cannot find the cost for the CBCS RAW service anywhere (beyond the two fees mentioned in the Press Release). Does anyone have a simple chart of them they can post? Thanks!
Post 15 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
From what I gathered it sounds like this service is similar to normal grading but does not include restoration check and seems to use a different form of encapsulation.

Since checking for restoration takes time I can see why CBCS would be able to charge less for this new service but it would seem to be a great opportunity for unethical sellers to dump a bunch of books with color touch or other subtle forms of restoration on unsuspecting buyers.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Goldmedalman private msg quote post Address this user
This new service should help a potential buyer be more confident in the book they are purchasing, would also help the seller knowing a third party has given their comic an accurate grade. Very glad this new service is available, a great alternative to a full encapsulation.
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Trying to figure out if I see a way that this works for me...

So, can I grade screen a raw grade gradescreen? 😁

For example say I screen 9.8 regular, but of those that do not pass it could be worth a 9.4 screen for raw grade, as those books are still worth putting in a few bucks into, just not enough for full slab. I wouldnt want to pay raw grade for anything under 9.4 in that scenario, so thus would need a gradescreen for gradescreened books 😳
Post 18 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I have a practical question about the raw grading service.

Let's say I submit a book and with some good fortune the book comes back with a 9.8 or better yet a 9.9.

Now that the book has this wonderful grade it appears more valuable to me before I made the submission due to the high grade.

If I return this encapsulated book to you so you can crack it out and do the normal grading (which now seems worth paying for) and the book passes your restoration check will I get it back with the same grade on a slab or will you re-grade the book entirely leaving me with the possibility that I end up with a 9.6 or worse yet a 9.4?

In other words, can the raw grading work as a possible pre-screen where I get an encapsulated grade on my "rejects" and resubmit the winners for normal grading?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Trying to figure out if I see a way that this works for me...

So, can I grade screen a raw grade gradescreen? 😁

For example say I screen 9.8 regular, but of those that do not pass it could be worth a 9.4 screen for raw grade, as those books are still worth putting in a few bucks into, just not enough for full slab. I wouldnt want to pay raw grade for anything under 9.4 in that scenario, so thus would need a gradescreen for gradescreened books 😳

We don't currently offer a grade screen for the grade screen. However it is an interesting idea and I'll bring that up to the team.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

Let's say I submit a book and with some good fortune the book comes back with a 9.8 or better yet a 9.9.

Now that the book has this wonderful grade it appears more valuable to me before I made the submission due to the high grade.

If I return this encapsulated book to you so you can crack it out and do the normal grading (which now seems worth paying for) and the book passes your restoration check will I get it back with the same grade on a slab or will you re-grade the book entirely leaving me with the possibility that I end up with a 9.6 or worse yet a 9.4?

In other words, can the raw grading work as a possible pre-screen where I get an encapsulated grade on my "rejects" and resubmit the winners for normal grading?

Sure you can do that. The book does have to be regraded, though. There is risk of getting a different grade the second time. Just like any other time you send a regular certified book in to be regraded.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Mijael private msg quote post Address this user
If you do not include resto check then CBCS will help scammers to sell restored books. You are not helping the industry on the contratry.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

Sure you can do that. The book does have to be regraded, though. There is risk of getting a different grade the second time. Just like any other time you send a regular certified book in to be regraded.

Thanks for the quick response Steve.

While I am happy to have the answer, I would like to know why it would be necesary to grade the book a second time. If the only thing missing from your raw grade service is the restoration check it would seem that there would be no reason for the same company that issued to grade to not trust that grade and start over from the beginning instead of simoly checking the book for restoration and keeping the original grade.

It may invite some to game your fee structure by using the raw grading service as a sort of pre-screen bur from an academic view if the grade of the book and the company standing behind the grading opinion has not changed, neither should the grade.

Is there something else missing from the service provided by the raw grading service? If not it would seem that CBCS might want to rethink the need to regrade these books.

Please help us to understand the thinking behind the decision to regrade books in this csse.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Mijael private msg quote post Address this user
Right now theres a Canadian seller using CGC ignorance on foreign comics books. He is slabbing fake Brazilians ASM books and selling them at ebay. If you do not include resto check we will see something similar. A lot of people will use CBCS to sell their resto books and the buyer will be unaware of it
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector BradT private msg quote post Address this user
The regrade would be needed because the book is in Mylar instead of a protective slab. I would imagine they are not as secure and also don't protect the book as well.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradT
The regrade would be needed because the book is in Mylar instead of a protective slab. I would imagine they are not as secure and also don't protect the book as well.

In that case I think this ends up making CBCS look bad.

Say the give a book a raw grade of 9.4 NM and seal it up in a mylar.

Due to shaken baby syndrome the book gets damaged and is now a 9.0.

Anyone seeing a 9.4 CBCS grade on a 9.0 book is unlikely to think the book got damaged afterwards, they are going to think CBCS overgraded the book.

I hope they can find a way to better protect these books in the future or this could hurt their reputation.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector BradT private msg quote post Address this user
I think most people would know that books can always get damaged though. I mean if it was a corner bend you would see it in the Mylar too. The other thing is even if you submit a slab for regrade you have no guarantee that it won't come back a lower grade.

I love this idea, as for some of us that are OCD about grades in a personal collection I would love to send in some of my modern books that aren't really slab worthy and have peace of mind knowing I have the grade! Good job guys!
Post 27 IP   flag post
@drchaos I think you are missing something. You can submit for regular slabs with a grade screen and select to have the rejects Raw Graded. Set your screen at 9.8 or 9.9. You were making the process way more complicated than necessary.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
@drchaos I think you are missing something. You can submit for regular slabs with a grade screen and select to have the rejects Raw Graded. Set your screen at 9.8 or 9.9. You were making the process way more complicated than necessary.

Maybe but if I submit a book thinking that it is not worth slabbing and it comes back with a better than expected grade, especially a 9.9 or 10.o I would want a do-over if I had the option to get it slabbed.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradT
I think most people would know that books can always get damaged though. I mean if it was a corner bend you would see it in the Mylar too. The other thing is even if you submit a slab for regrade you have no guarantee that it won't come back a lower grade.

I love this idea, as for some of us that are OCD about grades in a personal collection I would love to send in some of my modern books that aren't really slab worthy and have peace of mind knowing I have the grade! Good job guys!

If the book is subject to regrading you don't really have the grade. As soon as you get the book back from CBCS its like you drove the new car off of the lot. The verscity of the grade and the value of the book diminishes due to the potential of further damage and the fact that a resubmission would be subject to regrading.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601275 131 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?