Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
If it has been noted in another thread, please let me know. I was wondering what the process of grading is from start to finish and the actual time it takes to do so. Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
RECEIVING

Every invoice of comics submitted to CBCS enters the receiving department where each shipment is carefully opened and fully inspected. The comics are checked against the submission order form to ensure all comics are accounted for.

A barcode is generated from your invoice number for your specific order tiers which are tied to your personal account. The barcode is scanned at every step of the certification process. This insures that the order is always easily tracked through our system at every stage of the process it is at. Each comic in your order will also have a barcode sticker placed on the mylar or bag in came in, which also allows us to track any single comic in your submission.

Once receiving has finished processing the books, the comics either enter our secure vault to await grading or is brought directly into the grading room.

RESTORATION AND CONSERVATION DETECTION

Before a comic book is graded, it is checked for restoration and conservation by our restoration detection experts. If restoration or conservation is found, CBCS will include a list of all the work detected on the label, classifying it as either conserved or restored.

CBCS has one classification level for conservation and five levels for restoration; slight, slight/moderate, moderate, moderate/extensive, and extensive. The more restoration that is detected, the higher the level becomes. Once the book has been checked for conservation and restoration, it enters the grading phase.

GRADING

Each book is checked to make sure they are complete, as each page is counted, checking for missing panels, coupons and pieces. The grader will then take notes of any defects that could affect the books grade or will note any defect that may be hidden or hard to see. The grader will also do another check for restoration and then choose a page quality and a grade from ranging from 0.1 up to 10, with 10 being the highest grade a book can receive.

To make sure one grader does not influence another grader, any grade chosen remains hidden from all of the next graders. When the finalizer gets the book, the process is repeated, and compares the chosen grade to the other grades already assigned to the book. If the grades match, or are reasonably close, the book will receive a final grade. If the grades do not match, the book will be passed to another grader (or even other graders) until a consensus of the final grade has been selected.

The invoice is then sent to encapsulation.

ENCAPSULATION

At this point in the label for the book is printed, an encapsulator then makes sure each CBCS label matches the assigned barcode for each book. The CBCS label lists all the information about the book such as title, issue number, publisher, artist information, key comments and more. The label also includes very specific information about the particular copy that was submitted, including the assigned numerical grade as well as pedigree, variant, signatures, tape, missing pages, restoration, and any other pertinent information.

The books are then sealed into CBCS’s archival safe inner holder. The inner holder, along with the CBCS label is then inserted and sealed into CBCS’s cutting-edge, tamper evident outer case. Once every book in the invoice is encapsulated the books enter the quality control department.

QUALITY CONTROL

Each label is checked for spelling mistakes or any other problems. Each case is checked to make sure the comic is secure, that the label matches the encapsulated book, as well as being checked for any major scuffs and/or abrasions.

Although mistakes will arise, we do our best to make certain that each comic that passes through our QC inspection is properly graded and labeled, and completely meets our high standards before leaving CBCS.

SHIPPING

Now that all the books have entered the shipping phase, each order is either held in the vault for customer pickup or ready for shipment.

All invoices are scanned out with each book being checked against the original submission form, assuring each individual book that was submitted is now being sent back.

All invoices are securely packed and boxed. CBCS ships books Monday-Friday via USPS, Fed-Ex & UPS.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
That's from the website the times I would think would very from book to book
Post 4 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
That's from the website the times I would think would very from book to book

And service to service?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
They should hire graveyard shift for 24 hour grading. Would reduce turnaround times.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
@JWKyle Thank you!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Jaydknight private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa this face and the scene where he is walking down the street still haunt my dreams to this day.
Post 8 IP   flag post
597935 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?