Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeQuestions

My Maxx Grail216

Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
Hello and allow me to introduce myself, if I have not already.

I started collecting Maxx when it first hit the shelves, I was never aware of the special Wizard 1/2 incentives that were first brought out. In fact I was barely aware of the mail away for the Purple 1/2.

I had been lugging around 3 longboxes for 20 years, full of Xmen, Spiderman and my favorites from Image, DarkHorse and NEC.

It wasn't till 2013 where I had finally decided to go through my stuff to see what I had. I hadn't expected to be carrying gold around all these years, but was surprised that some things have done pretty ok for being 20 years old.

I looked at my incomplete Maxx collection and decided one of the things I would like to do is complete that collection. How little did I know stepping in.

I had never heard of the ashcans, or how the later issues had a very low print run due to Sam being left alone to complete the title. I was only about 10 or 11 issues in.

I hopped on eBay and started picking things up here and there. It was by pure chance I found a dual sketched SS Edlund Tick SE that I had to have, where I picked up my very first slabbed comic.

I didn't know what a comic grading company was, all I thought was what a novel idea to encase a treasured comic in such a way that it wouldn't be damaged over time. I joined up with the CGC forums and the rest is history.

During my journey and following the awesome wealth of knowledge found online, I started my quest for all the issues I was missing, and started a new quest to have a complete Maxx run, signed and verified and graded.

Along the way, I found my grails. The wizard 1/2 Maxx test prints.

I was very fortunate to find someone who had not one but a few of the Blue test prints, and got my first grail in 9.4. Perhaps I will have the chance one day to upgrade to a 9.8, but at least I have one.

The one I cannot find is a red test print. All my research has pointed me to the fact there definitely is 3 of them out in the wild somewhere. I have had the privilege to talk to some former owners. Alas the trail has run cold.

Now hopefully with a new and exciting grading company starting up, I can find even more collectors to talk to and hopefully pick up the trail again.

So if you come across this on your travels, please keep me in mind, and if you have heard whispers of this rare treasure, if anything I would just love to hear the stories.

I wish for the day I can hold one in my hand, and with luck, one day I shall.

Thanks for your time
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector BillsComics private msg quote post Address this user
Maxx 1/2 red test print. Ill keep my eyes open for you.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks Bill
Post 3 IP   flag post
I should probably add the top 3 that I need for my collection also includes the black ashcans, #1 and #3 respectively.

Although I think I might still know where to get a #3. May have to get that one first thing next year...
Post 4 IP   flag post

My blue baby
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
I thought my first exposure to the Maxx was the tv series. I watched it and loved the characters and story.

I thought it was my first but what I found out later on going thru an old box of 90's comics that i had, I had sometime, bought #1. Nothing special, no variant, but in great condition. I was surprised how beautiful the art looked and how the series was almost the book brought to animated life. I went and found a trade that I still pull out and read once in a while.

Reading this thread, I think I will submit it in.

I will keep my ears open for your varient.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I never even knew there was an Animated Series till two years ago lol
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector AlexH private msg quote post Address this user
There was also a soundtrack (cassette form) that came out in 1993? I have it somewhere in my storage locker. I only played it once so I am having trouble with the details of it. Maybe someone else remembers it?
Post 8 IP   flag post
@AlexH Yeah see them on eBay from time to time
Post 9 IP   flag post
Can go ahead and add the Black #1 and #3 to my grail hunt
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPSI
I should probably add the top 3 that I need for my collection also includes the black ashcans, #1 and #3 respectively.

Although I think I might still know where to get a #3. May have to get that one first thing next year...

You missed out on the black ashcan that ConditionFreak had in his sales thread. Didn't last long at that price.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

You missed out on the black ashcan that ConditionFreak had in his sales thread. Didn't last long at that price.

Metal already has a #2 black ashcan. 🙂
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoAnother
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

Metal already has a #2 black ashcan. 🙂

Oh, my bad. You got a good deal on that.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater

Thank you Towmater, I'm really excited to get it in!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Spideyfan73 private msg quote post Address this user
@AlexH I have it too somewhere stashed. Maxximum Sound, think it covered the first 3-4 issues.
Never knew about the 1/2 variants, or the ashcan's for that matter.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideyfan73
@AlexH I have it too somewhere stashed. Maxximum Sound, think it covered the first 3-4 issues.
Never knew about the 1/2 variants, or the ashcan's for that matter.

http://www.comics.org/character/name/maxx/sort/chrono/
Post 16 IP   flag post
600893 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?