Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop Culture

Help Tommy Castillo!!2152

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Tommy is an amazing artist who has worked on titles like Detective Comics, Batman Black and White, Toe Tags and several Grimm Fairy Tales. He has been through hell these last few years - dying, blindness, stroke and kidney failure. He needs a kidney and his wife Sammy is a match. They need to raise $15,000 in 6 months so they can afford the medications before the hospital will do surgery. PLEASE, at the very least, share this!! Give if you can, every bit helps!! Thanks everyone!!!

To read more of Tommy's story or to donate, click on the link.

clickable text

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector JCage private msg quote post Address this user
Is there a go fund me page ?
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you... breaks my heart to read this. He's really a great guy at the conventions I've met him at over the years.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to hear this..we are going through the same thing with my father in law...who just keeps smiling and saying he's great . every time he gets to the top of the list, they find a reason to remove him . I'd be surprised if he lasts another 3 months. I'd be happy to send in a little something..it's a very frustrating thing to watch...tell him we're thinking about him ..
Post 4 IP   flag post
just clicked the link and went through pay pal..worked with ease. Thanks for posting this Jesse
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCage
Is there a go fund me page ?

Yes, the clickable text in the first post leads to a YouCaring page for Tommy. It's a GoFundMe site for people in medical need.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Watcher - Thanks!! I can't tell you what that means to me!! The guy has been a personal hero of mine these last few years!! When he is able, he draws live on Twitch and talks about all kinds of stuff. I'm a regular viewer and I've gotten a few pieces from him. He's got one of the most positive attitudes I've ever seen in a person!!

Thanks again!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
you're welcome brother
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
Sorry to hear this..we are going through the same thing with my father in law...who just keeps smiling and saying he's great . every time he gets to the top of the list, they find a reason to remove him . I'd be surprised if he lasts another 3 months. I'd be happy to send in a little something..it's a very frustrating thing to watch...tell him we're thinking about him ..

I am on "the list" for a kidney. I have nineteen months on it, but for my particular blood type (0+), the average wait is approximately 4 years.

And they don't go by position on the list. They go by tissue and blood typing. If yours matches a donated kidney better than anyone else's, then you get it. But they do take into account other things like age, weight and other health concerns. Once they call you, you have three hours to get prepped for the operation. If you live far away, you are up a creek without a paddle. I am an hour and 35 minutes away from the hospital where it would be done (at Ohio State University Hospital). I have the money, but you can't buy kidneys. They have to approve you thru various tests. Everything from eye health to colonoscopy, etc., just to get on the list.

I don't expect to actually get a kidney, but at least I can hang my hat on hope.

They have exchange programs whereupon, if someone wants to donate a kidney to "you" but it doesn't match. They can give that donated kidney to whomever it matches, that might have someone wanting to donate a kidney for that person, but it doesn't match them.

It costs about $145,000.00 for the operation. That covers both the donor and the recipient. Then you have to take meds forever, that lower your immune system. Which can cause you to get sick with colds and flu often. My insurance company is EAGER for me to get a kidney. It costs them more to supply me with dialysis every day, than an operation would cost them.

A donated kidney might last one year or twenty years. Some people go through two or three kidney transplants.

One kidney is perfectly healthy to live on, if someone is fairly healthy and is not diabetic or has chronic high blood pressure. Those are the two big destroyers of kidneys.

It's complicated, and slow, unless a relative is donating a kidney. I had a cousin who was 50 and got a kidney from his sister. It only lasted four months, and he died of a heart attack after. He was really big though.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this as well. I hope they find a match for you soon.

I know Tommy was EXTREMELY lucky that his wife matched!! Granted, it is no guarantee that it would work at this point, but I guess having the funds available is the next step. And with Tommy having diabetes, there's no telling how long the kidney will function. But the guy is a fighter if I'd ever seen one. He says his dad used to call him a grunt because he just keeps moving forward and takes whatever is thrown at him.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story. I'm sure it's not easy. You and yours will be in my thoughts!!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher

I am on "the list" for a kidney. I have nineteen months on it, but for my particular blood type (0+), the average wait is approximately 4 years.

And they don't go by position on the list. They go by tissue and blood typing. If yours matches a donated kidney better than anyone else's, then you get it. But they do take into account other things like age, weight and other health concerns. Once they call you, you have three hours to get prepped for the operation. If you live far away, you are up a creek without a paddle. I am an hour and 35 minutes away from the hospital where it would be done (at Ohio State University Hospital). I have the money, but you can't buy kidneys. They have to approve you thru various tests. Everything from eye health to colonoscopy, etc., just to get on the list.

I don't expect to actually get a kidney, but at least I can hang my hat on hope.

They have exchange programs whereupon, if someone wants to donate a kidney to "you" but it doesn't match. They can give that donated kidney to whomever it matches, that might have someone wanting to donate a kidney for that person, but it doesn't match them.

It costs about $145,000.00 for the operation. That covers both the donor and the recipient. Then you have to take meds forever, that lower your immune system. Which can cause you to get sick with colds and flu often. My insurance company is EAGER for me to get a kidney. It costs them more to supply me with dialysis every day, than an operation would cost them.

A donated kidney might last one year or twenty years. Some people go through two or three kidney transplants.

One kidney is perfectly healthy to live on, if someone is fairly healthy and is not diabetic or has chronic high blood pressure. Those are the two big destroyers of kidneys.

It's complicated, and slow, unless a relative is donating a kidney. I had a cousin who was 50 and got a kidney from his sister. It only lasted four months, and he died of a heart attack after. He was really big though.

Thanks for posting this c.f....I've always wondered what happens.

Last Nov my wife found out she didn't need a liver transplant, so I understand the frustration that happens with this medical issues.

#PositiveThinking is a wonder for so many lives.

Take care and pass along bestest well wishes ever.
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Please keep in mind the reason for this thread. Tommy Castillo.

I only posted what I know, to let everyone read some info about this problem. Because some of you will have to deal with this in the future, or loved ones will.

The meds are very expensive, and keep climbing. The price I have to pay for my meds doubled on Jan 1st. And I understand that meds after receiving a transplant are so high that people actually turn down kidney transplants because it ruins them financially. Even if most of the operation is paid for by health insurance.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Yeah, the $15,000 is for over $12,000 worth of drugs the first six months!! Plus Sammy will have to care for Tommy intensively for 6-8 weeks after, so the extra is to help them meet their bills during that time. And this IS with health insurance, prescription insurance, etc.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector obiwan1971 private msg quote post Address this user
Sammy has been caring for Tommy for a long time. In close friends with both of them and i know they appreciate any and all help
Post 15 IP   flag post
Yancy Street Comics is doing a Facebook auction of one of Tommy's original pieces, a Harley Quinn.

clickable text

Post 16 IP   flag post
Tommy's great friend and fellow artist, Prino Cardinalli, is doing a sale on eBay to help Tommy. Tommy was hospitalized earlier today. When I find out more info, I will post here. Follow the link to Prino's facebook account explaining the auction or go straight to his eBay listings.

And I will vouch for Primo. He just started selling on eBay and is having a hard time due to low sales feedback (1). I have purchased a total of 6 paintings and various prints direct from him. He packages VERY securely and ships quickly.

facebook link

eBay link
Post 17 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O - Stay positive and always hope for the best. I also would like to challenge everyone who reads these forums to make a donation, even $5 or $10 if they can spare it.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Thanks @esaravo
Post 19 IP   flag post
This is the latest update from Sammy, posted today.

"Hello everyone. This was not the update I wanted to post today. Tommy was hospitalized this morning. He was unresponsive when I went to wake him up. I had to call 911 to get him to the hospital. It was determined that his blood sugar dropped dangerously low for an extended period of time while he was asleep. We are currently in the hospital, they got his blood sugar back up and he is coherent. But it took a toll in his body. With talking to the doctor he said that major fluctuations in blood sugar is common in kidney failure patients. Hopefully we'll be home soon. Thank you to everyone that has donated so far. Please continue to share this and help me get him back on his feet."
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O

Just an idea... It's hard to get people to hand over cash, even when they do care. Thought about maybe asking for books? I know it creates a pain for someone to have to sell them, but you may have some good luck appealing to collectors to donate comic books to save a comic book artist.

Maybe its just me, but I would enjoy pulling some titles to send for a good cause.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer
That's a cool idea, but I'm wondering how practical it would be.

And right now, Tommy's fund is at about $6,000. People are giving everything from $3 to $2,000 to help him. And there are a lot in the $10-$20 range. Of course, the sooner he reaches the $15K, the sooner they can move forward.
Post 22 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, admittedly tough to pull off. Glad to hear the goal will be hit! 👍🏻
Post 23 IP   flag post
Update on how to help Tommy. Anthony Snyder from Anthony's Comic Book Art has stated that he will donate half of any sale on Tommy's pieces that he has in stock in his store to Tommy's YouCare fund. He has 5 pieces for sale right now.

Anthony's Comic Book Art website
Post 24 IP   flag post
Update From Tommy himself. He posted this on his facebook page today.

"Life can turn on a dime. This past Saturday I had a nightmare. I went into a diabetic coma and my poor wife found me spasming and unresponsive. She was forced to call an ambulance and watch as the six men held me down and had to restrain me. I was tied to the stretcher after getting out of the Velcro straps. I have no memory of any of this. The first thing I remember is seeing Sammy come into the room I was in. I begged her through an ocean of tears, to please unstrap me. They had strapped my hands then at my elbows and my feet. Being a bit claustrophobic and a bit out of my mind this was hell. The only saving grace was My Sammy coming to my rescue. We spent the day in the hospital convincing the staff I was not a nutbag. Sure I am a bit crazy but the idea of being institutionalized is scary. They figured out my sugar had gone down to thirty-four in my sleep for no real reason. We have not changed anything but with kidney failure it happens. They think I have lost even more kidney function and that caused this. Scary to think everything in your life can change by going to bed. Well, at least this time, I woke up. Next time I might not be so lucky. I just wanted to take a second and thank everyone that has donated to our Yourcaring fundraiser so far. We are half way there and if we make it I get to live YAY! Please share the Youcaring link and if you can donate. Even a dollar gets me closer to all those things people seem to forget they have; sunsets, birthdays, walking somewhere, kissing the woman you love, flying a kite. Funny, but it is on my list of things to do after I get a kidney. Funny the things you think about when death is Knocking at your door and you just wont let him in. Keep knocking you mother F#*$er. I am not going to answer. Sorry about the spelling and poor grammar, but hey I’m dying so go bite me.
Tommy"
Post 25 IP   flag post
If you'd like to see Tommy drawing or painting and have the opportunity to talk with him and ask questions, he will be livestreaming on his Twitch account tonight at 7 pm est. He is usually 2-3 minutes late, but he will show up. A few nights ago, I got to watch him remark a giclee print that I am getting from him. In less than 15 minutes, he added a dragon to the art for a Nine Inch Nails cover he drew. I don't know what he will be doing tonight, but he is fun to tune in to. And Twitch is free to subscribe to.

Tommy's Twitch channel

The giclee he remarked for me.

Post 26 IP   flag post
If you play Wyrd games, consider buying a Wyrd giftcard to help raise money for Tommy. Below is a link to the Wyrd offer.

link to Wyrd's website spot for Tommy
Post 27 IP   flag post
Great update on Tommys' fund raising!!

This is from Tommy's Facebook page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Castillo
Life can turn on a dime. That’s what I wrote when I found out I needed fifteen thousand dollars to get a life saving surgery. At the time I never could have imagined what would happen. People from every corner of the earth came forth and donated and that alone was a miracle, but at one point the donations slowed down and we became worried. Not Sammy, she just smiled and kept me brave. She has a strength I have never known. So when things seemed bleak we received a phone call while I was Live streaming. Sammy took the call then came and sat down to continue running the twitch as I danced around like a talking art monkey.

Now, I have been working for an awesome company named Wyrd games and the owner is an amazing man named Nathan. So when we were done live streaming Sammy sat me down and told me this:
Nathan had told her he would do special promotional event where whatever people donated to our fundraiser they would get that same amount as a gift certificate to the Wyrd online store. Now, that alone brought me to tears. But guess what? That wasn’t all. Nathan then told her, that if we don’t make the remaining amount; even if not a singe penny comes from this promo, on the following Monday (Aka. Yesterday) he would cover the entire remaining amount personally. I may not be a religious man, but the fact that my wife is a perfect match, and a man I have known for less then a year just saved my life - if those aren’t miracles I don’t know what could be.

I called Nathan right after I found out and had no words I just cried and said thank you. I also told him my hands where his till the day I die. He was true to his word the check showed up on Monday and we can now go to the transplant center and forward the approval process. So, I am not going to die any time soon and that feels so good. I need another fifty years with my Sammy.

Thank you all for your donations. We will be keeping up the fundraiser, just incase any one would like to further donate. The 15,000 is just the bare minimum needed to be approved for the transplant. Sammy and I will be out of action for 8-12 weeks, unable to work or do much of anything. So any and all further donations will go towards our savings to cover rent, utilities and food for that 12 week period.
Post 28 IP   flag post
600452 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?