Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

THE PARK AVENUE COLLECTION2144

Collector martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger

The story behind these two strips has always puzzled me. The Katzenjammer Kids' creator left the Hearst Newspaper syndicate and created a "new" strip called the Captain and the Kids for the Pulitzer newspapers. The expected lawsuit happened but the outcome is a head-scratcher: both newspapers were allowed to continue with their strips using identical characters but different names for the strips. I cannot think of another like situation where this was the outcome. Usually, one or both would cease publishing the disputed intellectual property. Maybe the whole lawsuit was just too big of a Katzenjammer for the 2 publishers and they decided to play nice. Of course, neither head of the respective publishing empires were known for their nice traits so that is another hmmm.


Rudolph Dirks...Creator of "THE KATZENJAMMER KIDS".




mm
Post 1676 IP   flag post
Collector Badger private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger

The story behind these two strips has always puzzled me. The Katzenjammer Kids' creator left the Hearst Newspaper syndicate and created a "new" strip called the Captain and the Kids for the Pulitzer newspapers. The expected lawsuit happened but the outcome is a head-scratcher: both newspapers were allowed to continue with their strips using identical characters but different names for the strips. I cannot think of another like situation where this was the outcome. Usually, one or both would cease publishing the disputed intellectual property. Maybe the whole lawsuit was just too big of a Katzenjammer for the 2 publishers and they decided to play nice. Of course, neither head of the respective publishing empires were known for their nice traits so that is another hmmm.


Rudolph Dirks...Creator of "THE KATZENJAMMER KIDS".




mm
See, this is what I mean. The ruling makes no sense to me. Its like Disney creates Mickey Mouse, leaves Disney for WB and creates an identical character, let's say, oh, Mortimer Mouse, and everybody is just fine with it. Don't work today I tell ya!
Post 1677 IP   flag post
TRA LA LA esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Badger - National/DC sued a few publishers who had superheroes too much like Superman for copyright infringement. The most notable one was Fawcett Comics for Captain Marvel. Ironically, when DC came out with their own Captain Marvel comic in the 1970's, they couldn't call it Captain Marvel, because Marvel was already using that title and had to call their comic SHAZAM. Ain't life funny?
Post 1678 IP   flag post
Collector GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Badger - National/DC sued a few publishers who had superheroes too much like Superman for copyright infringement. The most notable one was Fawcett Comics for Captain Marvel. Ironically, when DC came out with their own Captain Marvel comic in the 1970's, they couldn't call it Captain Marvel, because Marvel was already using that title and had to call their comic SHAZAM. Ain't life funny?


Hey Ed, here's the story about the lawsuit..
Post 1679 IP   flag post
Collector martymann private msg quote post Address this user
This book has always been a mystery to me as I know I didn't
buy it but I do believe it came from my friend Joey Barrone
who lived across the hall. We would exchange comics to read
and then return them after awhile. Joey had a sister and I
always thought it might have been hers that got mixed into
mine. We moved away before I discovered I had it so I could
never check to see if that was what happened.




mm
Post 1680 IP   flag post


Collector martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Had all but forgotten THE GUARDIAN and the NEWSBOY LEGION
until I ran across my copy of STAR SPANGLED #53.




mm
Post 1681 IP   flag post
Collector martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Most of the time, the only place you could find RED RYDER was
at W.T. GRANTS along with the DELL FOUR COLOR COMICS.




mm
Post 1682 IP   flag post
Collector martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Looking up values on GoCollect and ran across SPIRIT #22
with a Fair Market Value of $5,000...hard to believe.




mm
Post 1683 IP   flag post
CBCS President sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@martymann That book has always commanded a premium. I handled the Edgar Church copy when I brokered it to Heritage, super high grade.
Great comic! (Wrong holder LOL!)
Post 1684 IP   flag post
Collector EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
Looking up values on GoCollect and ran across SPIRIT #22
with a Fair Market Value of $5,000...hard to believe.




mm


It's an intriguing and imagination-capturing piece of artwork, there's no doubt about it. That uncommon blue background is a stroke of genius that few would come up with.
Post 1685 IP   flag post
Collector martymann private msg quote post Address this user
70+ years old and still great reading!







mm
Post 1686 IP   flag post
377532 1686 11
Log in or sign up to compose a reply.