Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeQuestions

Dreaded Marvel Chipping2143

Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Is the chipping along the top of this otherwise brilliant sharp X-men Marvel Chipping, or just wear and tear?

Opinions on grade, specifically if this is Marvel Chipping how much it would affect or not affect grade, are welcome.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I'm no pro..but I don't see "chipping"...I see top edge wear with bends and creasing. I'd be more concerned with such a clean cut right edge and no overhang considering the cover wrap. Do you have a pic of the back ?
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
I'm no pro..but I don't see "chipping"...I see top edge wear with bends and creasing. I'd be more concerned with such a clean cut right edge and no overhang considering the cover wrap. Do you have a pic of the back ?

That right side does look very clean. I hope it wasnt trimmed
Post 3 IP   flag post

Thats the back of the book - it was not trimmed (been burned by that before, now I can tell if a book's been trimmed or not).

The book itself, except for the top, is incredible. Spine is amazing, edges and corners (except top) are amazing and sharp, cover glossy and smooth, but that top edge!!! Trying to figure out if its "Marvel Chipping" or it was stored in a way that the top got roughed up but the rest of the book was kept nice.

Thanks!
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Looks to me like that is just the overhang of the cover on the top of a the book curling in an cracking. Not chipping more then likely caused by improper storage.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
@QuaBrot here is my AF15..note marvel shipping on right side of book. I think yours is just age and NOT chipping.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks everyone - looks like its not Marvel Chipping, but still a nice book (except for that top edge!!!).

#Johnnylray thats a rough example of Marvel Chipping! But it does illustrate nicely what it really is (and a nice book as well!).
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
well..glad to hear it's not trimmed. It's a great book. Maybe a 5.0
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
well..glad to hear it's not trimmed. It's a great book. Maybe a 5.0

I think the right side is just cropped.
If anyone still cares lol
Post 9 IP   flag post

Since everyone seems to think the book was trimmed, here are pics from the edge - first one is looking at the right edge from the bottom and one can see the cover overhangs the interior a bit, second is looking at the right edge from the top and one can see the interior pages are slightly proud of the cover here.

Just to put that baby to bed, if anyone still cares . . .
Post 10 IP   flag post

Also, so everyone can see how smooth and glossy the book is, with sharp edges and blemish free spine. This is a case that is tough (to me) to grade since it doesn't have the usual defects - spine stress, color breaks, bends/creasing, etc. The book is incredible, except for that top edge - and even that edge isn't chewed up, but is rough partially because it overhangs the interior a bit (not uncommon for these books) and probably was stored with other books where the tops were exposed to some wear.

Anyway, thats my rant about grading . . .
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot

Since everyone seems to think the book was trimmed, here are pics from the edge - first one is looking at the right edge from the bottom and one can see the cover overhangs the interior a bit, second is looking at the right edge from the top and one can see the interior pages are slightly proud of the cover here.

Just to put that baby to bed, if anyone still cares . . .

Hope you didn't think I meant "trimmed" when I said "cropped".
Post 12 IP   flag post
is there a difference?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Here's a normal scan. Shows the whole right side.

The same book and the same scan, just cropped on the right side.

Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@QuaBrot "Cropped" is just a digital photo term, "trimmed" is something done to a physical object.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Ah, OK, yes that is clear now. Wasn't thinking along those lines.

Book nor its image were neither trimmed nor cropped nor altered in any way shape nor form.
Post 16 IP   flag post
600440 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?