Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Looks like CGC is giving out 9.9's like candy!21240

Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ShnZgO5H4

Looks like CGC is giving out 9.9's like candy, mostly to one person though. Sounds sus to me....
Post 1 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversorrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ShnZgO5H4

Looks like CGC is giving out 9.9's like candy, mostly to one person though. Sounds sus to me....

Very sus....🤔
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Whomever is paying thousands of dollars for a Secret Wars 8 in 9.9 put the "L" in stupid.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
We all know there is no way a few years ago there is that many 9.9 in any sub. 9.8 from that long ago is near impossible. Multiples it wouldn't have happened.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
I've got a shitload of 9.9’s!!! Don’t be jealous!!!

Oh, wait…no I don’t. 🤪🤪🤪

Post 5 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm a small fish and I got some 9.9s. Of course even brand spanking new I pressed them myself to make sure they were as perfect as I could get them.

Post 6 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
This seems like a video made by a guy that just likes to hear himself talk. I could only make it through about half of it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
This seems like a video made by a guy that just likes to hear himself talk. I could only make it through about half of it.

I think you are just describing most YouTube videos.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Bent books negate any and all grades.
Post 9 IP   flag post
No way. Don't look at these boomerangs, look at all the money these 9.9 will get you.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgwalters100
No way. Don't look at these boomerangs, look at all the money these 9.9 will get you.

Good point. For a moment I had forgotten how gullible hobbyists are.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
CGC is the new PGX.
Post 12 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Shhhh...I even got a 10.0 as well. I don't even collect modern comics, but I liked this cover and these new resurrection of Gold Key.

Post 13 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Cgc is a joke.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I like the surprise CBCS 9.9s. It’s refreshing to get a “deserved” “Mint”. They still seem like inflated 9.8s, but I I don’t see an influx from CBCS. It’s crazy coincidental how so many CGC subs are getting multiple 9.9s after they anticipated an increase of 9.9 and 10s coming through. Weird…
Post 15 IP   flag post
They can predict the future and they are only using it for this. Seems like a waste.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@earthshaker01 I like those Boris covers. They’re pretty wild.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I guess it's the right time of year. With Halloween only two weeks away, a 9.9 from the cgc is like a trick and a treat all in one.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
I have two 9.9’s that I submitted around 2018, plus a 10.0!! I was thrilled to get them!! Haven’t received any since, but then I don’t sub anymore. I bailed and left CGC in the rear view mirror.

Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
There's no end to that company's corruption, incompetence, and dishonesty.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
I would love for someone to point out the differences between a 9.8, 9.9 and 10.0
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbolton
I would love for someone to point out the differences between a 9.8, 9.9 and 10.0
about a 1000 bucks, I guess, lol.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
Quote:
about a 1000 bucks, I guess, lol.

LOL, yes, not quite what I meant.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
@earthshaker01 Are you referring to the resale value or the bribery amount?

In all seriousness- CGC may have HAD to start calling clean looking 9.8s "9.9s", since their new version of 9.8 includes books with large folds and ticks along the spines due to bending. I'm assuming they've got some old stock inner wells that they're using for these 9.9s so that they stay flat, while they continue to push bent 9.8s out the door. If not, it would be REALLY interesting to see one of these 9.9s with ticks due to bending. I'm sure they'd have a good explanation for it though.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheSquid
@earthshaker01 Are you referring to the resale value or the bribery amount?

In all seriousness- CGC may have HAD to start calling clean looking 9.8s "9.9s", since their new version of 9.8 includes books with large folds and ticks along the spines due to bending. I'm assuming they've got some old stock inner wells that they're using for these 9.9s so that they stay flat, while they continue to push bent 9.8s out the door. If not, it would be REALLY interesting to see one of these 9.9s with ticks due to bending. I'm sure they'd have a good explanation for it though.
To be honest I was shocked to get 9.9s and 10s, but not
entirely shocked. I almost expect it. I don't collect modern books at all. I only collect GA and press and clean them to get high grades. It's not uncommon for me to have a 9.8 GA comic come back, so I would hope that after pressing a modern book I'd get a 9.9 or above.
I was lucky, I guess. Personally, these modern books are low on my interest scale. Not sure where they fit in my collection. But they're in there.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:

There used to be a noticeable difference between most 9.8s and the 9.9s &10s.

I could never tell the difference between a 9.9 and a 10, but that delved into nitpicky things like registration, cut, and staple placement, as it should.

However, things that used to not be allowed in 9.9 and 10 grade ranges are now being allowed.

I guess when you write the rule book you can change them to suit your needs.

Why pay 9.9 and 10 prices when they're are no longer the rare (manufactured scarcity) commodity they once were?

Again, anyone paying multiple thousands for 9.9 Copper and Modern (and maybe even some Bronze) books are not spending wisely.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The way I had heard it explained was that a CBCS 9.8 is an exceptional book but may have 1 or 2 very small non colour breaking ticks and or soft corners and such. A CBCS 9.9 can have literally zero handling defects (not even a single minor non colour breaking tick or soft corner, ect.) but can still have minor manufacturing defects like a miswrap or staples that are not perfectly centered on the spine. A CBCS 10 will have absolutely zero handling defects and manufacturing defects.

That is my general understanding of how CBCS grades them.
Post 27 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
It is funny to see folks be shocked that a brand new book could get a 9.9 when you consider books from the 70s and earlier getting 9.8s…

Hard to say which is more amusing - that outrage over the 9.9s or those willing to pay a premium for a 9.9 of a modern book…
Post 28 IP   flag post
619263 28 28