Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS GradedQuestions

Manga Grading- Zasshi21237

CBCS Finalizer Wade_Story private msg quote post Address this user
Hello forum members,

I am excited to announce the expansion of our manga grading service to zasshi sized books. I do not know if anyone here collects manga specifically... but as this is a somewhat new concept, I wanted to create a thread to allow for any potential questions anyone may have regarding the service.

This is something the team here has been working extremely hard on, and we are quite proud of the product we are launching with. Previously, our manga grading service was only available for tankōbon sizing, which are smaller books that collect multiple chapters of a particular series. Zasshi, are different in that they are published in a much larger format (think almost like a phone book), and most of the characters from manga have their true 1st appearances in zasshi. When we first launched manga grading, zasshi was always our end goal, and I am truly excited we are now be able to offer this service to a new collector base. It has been a fun journey developing this new product.

As a part of this, Daniel Ertle, Head Manga Grader & CBCS Finalizer will be joining/re-entering the forum space. He is extremely knowledgeable and I would invite anyone with an interest to pick his brain with questions regarding the service. Daniel has been with CBCS for 10 years and is an Overstreet Advisor.

Post 1 IP   flag post
CBCS Finalizer & Head Manga Grader Daniel_E private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everyone,

Like Wade has said, we have been working on this for a long time and have put a lot of effort and consideration into this new service. I am beyond excited to be able to finally grade these magazines. I have been talking about manga for what feels like forever, so to finally be here is super satisfying.

Please feel free to ask any questions about manga (tankobon or zasshi).
Post 2 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
I aware of genres, like shonen, but are these formats? And if so, what are the maximum interior dimensions? What qualifies for these services? Just manga? Manhwa, manhua, and other regional countries too? US, like Scott Pilgrim (or is that just considered soft cover?)? Here was a thread on collecting manga.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Also, here is the link for the service page. https://www.beckett.com/manga-grading
Post 4 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
Yup, I was just about to post. Thanks.
Post 5 IP   flag post
CBCS Finalizer & Head Manga Grader Daniel_E private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake
I aware of genres, like shonen, but are these formats? And if so, what are the maximum interior dimensions? What qualifies for these services? Just manga? Manhwa, manhua, and other regional countries too? US, like Scott Pilgrim (or is that just considered soft cover?)? Here was a thread on collecting manga.

Things like shonen, shojo, seinen or josei are just genres, and Japanese basically has a named genre for almost everything. The formats the we grade currently are tankobon (Scott Pilgrim would be this size) and zasshi (these are the anthology magazines like Shonen Jump & Corocoro). We have also graded bunkoban sized books as well (these are smaller than the typical tankobon size. For our tankobon service the maximum sizes are L = 8.19" W = 5.92" & D = .85"

Zasshi is L = 10.196" W = 7.125" & D = 1.625"
Post 6 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@Wade_Story Those things look quite heavy... Like 15 to a small box?
If you are grading these big things, consider offering storage boxes for them???
They look cool. Not my cup of sweet tea. This country boy digs the silver & bronze...
Good to see you fellas being proactive in new ventures.
Post 7 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Manga smells funny and gives me a headache.
Post 8 IP   flag post
They’re definitely weighty, and I completely understand. Everyone should collect what they love! Unfortunately, manga has been an underserved, large collecting base for a long time when it comes to grading & authentication. This includes education on proper storage and supplies. We hope to be helpful in solving some of this with communication and education for the community. No ideas are off the table. This is only the beginning for our manga service and we are excited for its future!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

Interestingly enough, older tankobon seems to get a nice cigar lounge smell to them. The ones that Wade collects are all stinky though.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
It's crazy how Manga collecting dwarfs comic collecting in numbers...Manga is not my thing but happy to see CBCS is there.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_E
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

Interestingly enough, older tankobon seems to get a nice cigar lounge smell to them. The ones that Wade collects are all stinky though.

Your jealousy of my collection is what is stinky.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
It's crazy how Manga collecting dwarfs comic collecting in numbers...Manga is not my thing but happy to see CBCS is there.

The sales #s for manga are startling when you compare them to comic books. The publishers have done a great job of creating a global product for consumers.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
@Wade_Story Will you be taking submissions at NYCC I have a few interesting ones to drop off. Also is VSP an option?
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Hcanes yes to both!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade_Story
@Hcanes yes to both!

Well looks like you’ll be taking quite a bit of my money.

I’m interested in the eventual grading population since Shonen Jump was meant to be discarded after use. Not many can appreciate how hard it is to find high quality books as a result of this.
Post 16 IP   flag post
619041 16 16