Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

1st app Witchblade 1st Thrawn in Diamond Previews 8/9621203

Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
This book predates all other preview , cameo and first full appearances of these two characters.
Post 1 IP   flag post

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector grapeape private msg quote post Address this user
I love that Previews cover. You are absolutely right about (predates all)
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeape
I love that Previews cover. You are absolutely right about (predates all)

Yeah; most people seem to be unaware that this is the first appearance of Witchblade in print.

What’s unusual about this book is the back cover shows the cover to Heir To The Empire #2, but the issue shown in the interior of this Previews is Star Wars Heir To The Empire #1 , which predates all other preview appearances of Thrawn.

Interest in Thrawn and Star Wars across the board has been more or less driven down due to the unpopularity of the more recent Star Wars streaming shows. Boba Fett is pretty much the only exception.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Some collectors do not consider previews to count for appearances. Just saying
Post 5 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Similar to adverts in comics for future comics with 1st appearances...I don't consider those either.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

I fall into that category....I don't even consider them to be cameos....

but as with everything collecting - to each their own! somewhere there is a completionist who will absolutely have to have these!
Post 7 IP   flag post
I do what I can. TheShocker private msg quote post Address this user
Same I dont count previews or advertisements of future issues/plots as 1st appearances
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

Yes, hence why I said this book is the first preview appearances of Witchblade and Thrawn in print.

Not in a comic book.

1st app of Witchblade in a comic is itself a preview/ad; not a story appearance.

There are 2 of them, this thread discusses those two.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/475933-witchblade-1st-appearance/

Speaking of which, I’ll contribute to this thread tomorrow.

There is a difference between the first preview, first cameo and first full appearance in comic books.

GPA has sales of the first Spawn in Diamond Previews , a
couple at staggering prices.

….than there are preview advertisement books, 7 of them off the top of my head for Spawn #1

The big dog of the 1st ad preview books for Spawn being Malibu Sun 13.
Post 9 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
I have the Diamond Previews Spawn 1st appearance 😁
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Never mind
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
If these Previews books could be graded and have that cute little Universal Label state "1st appearance", then these Previews books would be a much bigger thing.

If something can be graded and a Label stating something that fanboys want to see, then that will do it.
It's aaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllll about what the label says and what the number says
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Optic_Blast private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with everyone else, this isn't the 1st appearance of Witchblade.
Post 13 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
"1st app Witchblde 1st Thrawn in Diamond Previews 8/96"

Is first appearance in a pre-order catalog a "thing" ?

Holy...
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
If these Previews books could be graded and have that cute little Universal Label state "1st appearance", then these Previews books would be a much bigger thing.

If something can be graded and a Label stating something that fanboys want to see, then that will do it.
It's aaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllll about what the label says and what the number says

Diamond Previews can be graded by CGC and several graded copies are recorded as sold in GPA.

Anyone with a GPA subscription can look up recorded sales of Diamond Previews.

Again, there is no dispute that the Spawn or Witchblade Diamond Previews constitute the first appearance of either character in a *comic book*. Same applies to the issue of Diamond Previews with the first Simpsons & first Milestone line characters, in one issue. Go ahead and look that back up on ebay, lowest prices are a couple hundred for a beater copy with a nicer copy pushing $1000. I own a cherry copy of that book which will eventually get graded by CGC.

There is a distinct market for books like Diamond Previews, just as there’s a distinct market for the first preview appearance of characters from the early/mid 90’s like Evil Ernie, Lady Death, Spawn and Pitt in Malibu Sun.

Most of these books feature the character(s) the cover, if they aren’t on the cover in a preview book than demand/FMV is much less.

There is a cover A and cover B of the first Diamond Previews Spawn book.

Cover A has Spawn on the front cover.

Cover B doesn’t have Spawn on either the front or back cove so cover B is a much less expensive book than cover A.

Both cover A and B have a write up on Spawn and an interview with McFarlane in the interior, ostensibly have panels from Spawn 1 in the interior.

Similarly, the Diamond Previews has switchblade on the cover with a write up on Witchblade #1 and an interview with the creators in the interior. Ostensibly, this book would have panels from switchblade 1 in the interior.

A slabbed direct market in 9.8 of Witchblade 1 and Spawn 1 are worth $150, at most….these books had high print runs and were speculated on when they were originally released.

Who thought to save their Diamond Previews?

I tossee mine into a recycling can after placing my preorders back in the 90’s, as I imagine most others did, as well.

OTOH, a Spawn 1 slabbed at 9.8 is a $750 book for good reasons.

I don’t know if Witchblade 1 has a newsstand edition, I think it started being printed for newsstands, though I know switchblade had newsstand copies produced by the time it reached #10.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
"1st app Witchblde 1st Thrawn in Diamond Previews 8/96"

Is first appearance in a pre-order catalog a "thing" ?

Holy...

See my last post above.

Another example I just remembered is Marcel Previews #95; first preview of Miles Morales.

A CGC 9.8 sold for $11,000 at the height of the market boom in 2022.

Probably a $3000 book now.

A copy was recently graded by CGC at 9.8, 3 on the census at 9.8.

The owner of that CGC 9.8 owns 2 of the 3 CGC 9.8’s of that book.

He’s a comic YouTuber, last week he posted a CGC submission unboxing video on his YouTube channel and said that the 9.8 slab in that unboxing was probably going to be sold on ebay in a 99 cent auction.
Post 16 IP   flag post
https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=Marvel+previews+95&pubid=&PubRng=
Post 17 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
@PolarisNuclearSS2020 I actually am aware "Previews" (and other preview related comics) that contain ads or a 1st image, do command $$$.

I got Previews each month in the 90s; and sold them off during the comic boom several years ago for good money.
Didn't know with the Previews thickness they could be graded. And if Previews were to say "1st _____" on the CGC label, well that's a winner x2. OCD Hobbyists are infatuated with Label content and Subjective Numbers.

Do I personally think it's ridiculous? Absolutely.
But I'll sell a bridge in Death Valley if there's a buyer.
In fact, I've been quite transparent over the years on here that this graded comic business is nonsense. But if graded comics makes me money or graded previews, or graded steaming pile of dog sh*t, I really don't care what people do as long as I make profit.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
@PolarisNuclearSS2020 I actually am aware "Previews" (and other preview related comics) that contain ads or a 1st image, do command $$$.

I got Previews each month in the 90s; and sold them off during the comic boom several years ago for good money.
Didn't know with the Previews thickness they could be graded. And if Previews were to say "1st _____" on the CGC label, well that's a winner x2. OCD Hobbyists are infatuated with Label content and Subjective Numbers.

Do I personally think it's ridiculous? Absolutely.
But I'll sell a bridge in Death Valley if there's a buyer.
In fact, I've been quite transparent over the years on here that this graded comic business is nonsense. But if graded comics makes me money or graded previews, or graded steaming pile of dog sh*t, I really don't care what people do as long as I make profit.

Agreed on all these points, for the most part.

The collectors who go after preview appearances of 90’s characters are primarily chasing nostalgia, nothing wrong with that.

Especially when books like direct market books like Spawn 1 and Witxhblade 1 had higher print runs.

The later 1990’s-around 2013 Witxhblade run’s harder variants have a strong fan base, these books were printed when the bad girl high print run/hype craze had died down, con exclusives and particularly 1:10 variants from early triple digit Witxhblade numbers are tough books to find.

Most of these collectors are in their 40’s and have the disposable income they lacked in their teen years/warly 20’s.

Whichblade was recently relaunched, as well.

As far as CGC label notes, I think the only one of these books that has a “key issue note” is Marvel Previews #95, but I can’t recall offhand for sure. I don’t think collectors expect CGC or CBCS to label the Diamond Previews (Spawn, Wotchblade) and a couple others as “first appearanc”’s as these sorts of 90’s nostalgia guys are well aware of what these books are, for the most part.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Hyping up a book, only to be put up for sale in the future.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optic_Blast
Hyping up a book, only to be put up for sale in the future.

I posted factual information.

If you have anything to say to the contrary to correct my statements, please go ahead.

What you aware doing currently , and have done in 2 other threads of mine the past few weeks, is really just harassment.

You continue to troll my threads.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Its a public forum. Your threads are not the only threads I post in. I don't think there is anything wrong if I disagree with what you say or if I state my opinion.

I found it more than a coincidence that you opened a thread talking about this character's "1st appearance" and then go about trying to explain this isn't a "1st comic book" appearance, but then bring up Spawn's Preview appearances in this thread to try to draw a connection. Then to post a "for sale" thread for the book plus to link this thread.

I get it. You're trying to sell your book by creating some sort of connection to another book in hopes that someone will buy it.

IBTL...
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector grapeape private msg quote post Address this user
Let the OP have his opinion and offer for sale what he's got. Sellers can decide if it's worthy or not.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Its a public forum. Your threads are not the only threads I post in. I don't think there is anything wrong if I disagree with what you say or if I state my opinion.

I found it more than a coincidence that you opened a thread talking about this character's "1st appearance" and then go about trying to explain this isn't a "1st comic book" appearance, but then bring up Spawn's Preview appearances in this thread to try to draw a connection. Then to post a "for sale" thread for the book plus to link this thread.

I get it. You're trying to sell your book by creating some sort of connection to another book in hopes that someone will buy it.

IBTL...

You have a white knight complex over comic boards, guy.

There are 2000 pound bombs being dropped in Gaza every day and you are going on and on about how i only post on here to pump and dump comic books.

Again, nothing I posted about this Diamond Previews is untrue.

Let’s use your analysis:

-Is the first Diamond Spawn Previews not a desirable book, per GPA sales records, for hardcore Spawn collectors?

Far as raws go , here’s a raw copy that sold at $200….no grade assigned, no BC pic and the book is shown with what looks like a polybag over the FC….looks like a 4.0 with heavy spine wear and heavy finger bends all over the front cover, look at the dirt collection on the finger bends in the white areas….no back cover picture was posted, and the FC is covered by a polybag.

This Diamond Previews with the first appearance of Witchblade on a cover….is different from that Dpawns Previews book……in what way?

It’s not any different.

Other than Spawn and Witchblade being different characters with a larger number of Soawn die hards than Witchblade die hards.

One could point to a Marvel Preciews #95 having an $11.000 sale in CGC 9.8, as well.

That is literally the Marvel only equivalent of Diamond Previews.

Yes, that was an obscene overpay for that book, it occurred at the height of the pandemic spec boom.

Yes, a different character with more demand and speculation around Morales and it was a CGC 9.8.

Why do you feel a need to make such comments on my posts?

These are rhetorical questions.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
This isn't a sales thread it's a thread started about characters in previews and about comic books and merchandise going on sale in the future.

Personally to me they are worth the paper they're printed on and or maybe cover price if they were up to date and are not old.

If anyone makes a post giving their opinions then that's what a comic book forum is for.

And as I said these are not worth that money.
Either the crazy money on limited variant covers.
Others don't think so, hence the prices paid.

I think I own maybe 2-3 previews and they're like phone books.
I'll pass collecting them myself.
Rather high grade bronze but each to their own.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeape
Let the OP have his opinion and offer for sale what he's got. Sellers can decide if it's worthy or not.

I didn't want to bring this up in his sales thread which is why I posted here.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisNuclearSS2020
Quote:

IBTL...

You have a white knight complex over comic boards, guy.

There are 2000 pound bombs being dropped in Gaza every day and you are going on and on about how i only post on here to pump and dump comic books.

Hahaha!!! Are you seriously trying to validate your actions by linking a war with pumping/dumping comic books? That's an insane comparison, however I'm beginning to see how you like to link things together to try to make a match. It all makes sense now.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
IBTL
Post 28 IP   flag post
619041 28 28
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.