Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
My Chihuahua is watching me in case I do something cool. ICConquest private msg quote post Address this user
Okay, I do love me some Dave Stevens covers and interior art. I have a chance to Buy
Back issues- Playboy Price list #1 for $1000 which is quite a bit to me. It is raw and seems to be VF/NM The only other copy I have seen is on E-bay for $5400 Am I being stupid? Is it really worth a grand or more?
I have found nothing else. I have checked Key Collector, OverStreet, Comic Price Guide, Shortbox, Hip Comic, and EBay Sold history. 🤷‍♂️
I am attaching a picture of what I’m talking about and also of a eBay listing.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector DoorCntyComicColl private msg quote post Address this user
I checked CGC and they have 5 Universal copies graded where there are only 2 copies graded at 9.6.

Tough call and a lot of money for a raw copy
Post 2 IP   flag post
My Chihuahua is watching me in case I do something cool. ICConquest private msg quote post Address this user
@DoorCntyComicColl thank you for checking that!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICConquest
Okay, I do love me some Dave Stevens covers and interior art. I have a chance to Buy
Back issues- Playboy Price list #1 for $1000 which is quite a bit to me. It is raw and seems to be VF/NM The only other copy I have seen is on E-bay for $5400 Am I being stupid? Is it really worth a grand or more?
I have found nothing else. I have checked Key Collector, OverStreet, Comic Price Guide, Shortbox, Hip Comic, and EBay Sold history. 🤷‍♂️
I am attaching a picture of what I’m talking about and also of a eBay listing.

Check eBay’s sold listings up to 2 years thru their free pricing history

Also check GPA.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Product-Research-formerly-Terapeak-is-now-on-mobile/ba-p/34440521

I have no idea what this book is worth, I’d say a best offer of &500 is reasonable.

Nowhere near the minimum bid, for sure.

Questions to ask is why is the book being offered raw, and not slabbed?

Does it have restoration?

What would it likely grade out as, once pressed?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
See if seller has a store, maybe worth a planet flight to see it in person and if you both agree, buy it right then with cash for 15% discount (since he’s not paying eBay fees).
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
See if seller has a store, maybe worth a planet flight to see it in person and if you both agree, buy it right then with cash for 15% discount (since he’s not paying eBay fees).

Dave Stevens first published cover art on a comic book recently sold for 3 grand in CGC 9.8.

Dave from CollectorsComics talked about the sale in a recent video on his YouTube channel, he said he didn’t know how to value it and it sold quickly.

So, maybe he could have gotten 5 grand out of it instead of 3 grand had he priced it it higher.

But this was published 6 years later and it is a raw book, without the key significance of the XGC 9.8 Creature book.

Stevens books blew up about a year ago and have been dropping in FMV (per GPA and go collect) for the past few months after tons of more Stevens books were graded driving supply up.

Granted, this book only has a few graded copies but I don’t think it’s worth anywhere near the asking price.

I’d guess if it pulled a 9.8 from CGC, 3k would be a reasonable price to put on it, considering the low census count.

If you look at the census data on all the pricier Stevens covers (Alike Planet Comics 1), you’ll see a large uptick in 9.0-9.8 copies.

Good breakdown on Stevens FOMO here;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SS2gi7Z5BEs

Post 6 IP   flag post
Ah- welp…. I misread a key point in the first post above.

I thought the discussion was over making an offer on the raw “9.6” copy on ebay at $5400/BO.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisNuclearSS2020
Ah- welp…. I misread a key point in the first post above.

I thought the discussion was over making an offer on the raw “9.6” copy on ebay at $5400/BO.

Yes the 5400 dollar one is different, but the only other one I have been able to find. I’m wondering if the first picture posted would be worth $1000 ?
Post 8 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I tried looking it up on GPA. It's either not in there or I don't know how to look it up.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I looked at GPA as well and did not find it
Post 10 IP   flag post
I couldn’t find it in GPA, either.

Couldn’t even find it on the CGC Census.

It would be helpful if we knew the publisher of this book and/or the title of this mag as it shows on the indica page.

I can’t imagine the actual title of this magazine series is actually “Back Issues”, but that is all I know to search for (along with Dave Stevens 1983)….
Post 11 IP   flag post
I think it is a 1983 Playboy pricelist. That is my understanding.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I searched CGC using the name Back Issues...

CGC Census - Search Results
Title
Back Issues
Issue No. nn
Issue Date 1983
Year 1983
Publisher no publisher listed
Country
Art Comments Dave Stevens cover

so I can only assume this is the book in question....

FYI 5 books Universal graded but there is also one copy as a 9.8 Restored.. Not sure what that means.... (Sorry.. means the book had some restoration done to it)
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorCntyComicColl
Restored.. Not sure what that means.... (Sorry.. means the book had some restoration

Post 14 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
some year I need to get these 'rare' Dave Stevens adjacent digests graded?

one of the digests even came with a note to the original subscriber....too bad we never got that sequel....

Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, Stevens only provided the cover art. No interior Stevens art.

I’d suggest finding out previous sales data on this book, if any of the 4 graded copies have sold which is likely.

This is going to be a tougher Stevens book to find, but I don’t think a raw 9.0 is worth $1000….but GPA data, if it exists, would give you a starting point to figure out FMV for a raw copy.

I did find out the publisher but as we know this book is listed as “back issues” in the cgc census, that’s how it would be listed in GPA, so the publisher is irrelevant.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Don’t do it!!! For that kind of money, you can buy thousands of copies of the comic book featuring Squirrel Girl’s 1st appearance!!! 🤪🤪🤪

Post 17 IP   flag post
618085 17 17