Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

All-time hits leader Pete Rose dies at 8321193

To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Pete Rose Dies
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah when I was growing up baseball was my favorite thing there was. I knew every record and his was one of the unbreakable records. He was the most pure hard playing man to probably ever step on the field. He loved baseball more then almost anyone. It's too bad he loved gambling even more somehow. Some dudes have flaws but were just awesome at something.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Rest In Peace Pete Rose.
Post 3 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
RIP. Put the man in the hall of fame.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
RIP....just read the link from the OP. I was unaware of a lot of the stuff he did...maybe his permanent ban is warranted.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Like him or hate him, the man could hit the ball!
RIP Pete Rose.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
RIP....just read the link from the OP. I was unaware of a lot of the stuff he did...maybe his permanent ban is warranted.

Sadly it was warranted. You can't ever bet on sports you have involvement in. It's literally the one thing that can't happen. He was a mega gambler and those people will always cheat to make money.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics

Here here!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics

Agreed.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Gambling on baseball is the one rule in every clubhouse on every wall. No player is confused by the consequences. He chose to be banned for life. He gambled probably a lot on baseball games he managed maybe played in.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
....there's actually a more disturbing accusation in the link the OP posted of when he was in Cincy....unsure if true, but if so....yeeeeesh!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
As a baseball player he was incredible. A true gift to the game. Almost every other part of his life including managing baseball he seems like he was a degen. I'm not sure how many people know a mega gambler but I would argue it's as bad as any habit that there is.
Post 12 IP   flag post
It used to be so much easier to root for most people before we knew all there business. Now being a fan of almost anyone is actually hard. You have to do work because so many of these people are really bad. It starts with the highest profile to the low. Even authors of books I like you read a little about them and it seems like they are scum. It sucks because it used to be about what you knew now it's disheartening. I get sometimes why people are like who cares what they did.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I got screwed six ways to Sunday. sborock_ComicLink private msg quote post Address this user
R.I.P
I played blackjack with him at the table in the Sands years ago. Only the two of us. Pete sucked at BJ. He lost about $80K in an hour on bad choices. I made $5400. He got pissed and left the high stakes table. Still, it was a cool experience!
I know nothing about sports BTW
Post 14 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Pete has a complicated legacy for sure. I vaguely remember when Pete agreed to his permanent ineligibility. Not a lifetime ban, but a permanent one. If we separate the art from the artist so to speak, he was hands down one of the greatest baseball players to ever step foot on the field. His appearance at the 1999 World Series as part of the All Century Team was a great public outpouring of support for the player he was. His grit, determination, and hustle made him an icon.
On the other hand, he is a classic example of the type of player who was royalty on the field and a not good person off of it. The gambling, the statutory allegations, the lying. Pete brought a lot of problems on himself. Had he been upfront with MLB back in 1989, and went on some half-assed reconciliation tour to discuss the pitfalls of gambling, and not being a turd, he'd more than likely be in the Hall of Fame. But, he fought it for years until he could make money off it in a book. This isn't to absolve MLB either. MLB wants nothing to do with him unless they can make money off him being there. Not to mention, MLB's love affair with the sports books now. The Hall is no different. His memorabilia can be there, but he can't. He would have been eligible for the Hall, had the voters not passed a rule to not allow induction to permanently ineligible players in what would have been Pete's first year. Why the rule? It never stopped the Hall from not allowing Shoeless Joe in.
Should he be in the Hall? I absolutely think so if only for the on-field accomplishments as a player to include 3x WS champ, 1975 WS MVP, 1973 NL MVP, 17x All Star at five different positions, and all time MLB hits leader. Based on the way he conducted himself off the field and as a manager, I understand why he isn't. He broke the big rule and then spent the next 15 years behaving like he was a victim. He is definitely one of the most polarizing sports figures I can think of. He is beloved in Cincinnati but reviled in many other places.
The last thing I will say that a friend of mine bumped into him in Vegas around 2007, and when Pete found out he grew up near Sedamsville, they talked for 15-20 minutes and that Pete couldn't have been more polite to him.
Post 15 IP   flag post
618085 15 15