Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector karn9 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Everyone -

Looking for some advice on bags and boards for current comics:

Currently I am using Ultra PRO Current Size Bags 6-7/8 x 10-1/2" (even though I ordered Regular Size 7-1/8 x 10-1/2" and for boards BCW Regular 6" 7/8' X 10" 1/2' Inches and they seem alright, although things slide around.

In the past I have bought the Leffis Bags: 7.2 X 10.5 inches; Boards: 6.75 x 10.5 inches from Amazon and they definitely were much bigger.

My question - what would be best to reduce spine marks? Smaller, more snug bags, or looser bags?
What is everyone's preferred brand?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector x860x private msg quote post Address this user
I like silver bags and boards for everything.
Post 2 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@karn9 Try Matt,
He has the best deals...

https://mattsbaseball.com/store/

@x860x I use the silver age thick for all books..
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
If you use these, you will get the best protection and you will never have to replace bags or boards again.

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector x860x private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
@karn9 Try Matt,
He has the best deals...

Same here. Been buying from him for a few years now.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector oakcitycomics private msg quote post Address this user
I use Comic Pro line OPP 7 1/4" Silver bags with 7 1/8" boards for all normal size floppies under $20 value. If thick floppies I go with 7" boards.

All books valued over $20 go in a Comic Pro Line Mylar 7 1/4 bag with egerber Standard size Fullback.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector karn9 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
@karn9 Try Matt,
He has the best deals...

I had poked around his site a few days ago - looks like I'll most likely be buying from here next. Hoping one day to be able to afford the mylites
Post 7 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
I switched to this company a couple years ago, although I don’t have much need for bags and boards these days. A little pricier than some, but a good product line.

https://www.comicclearsupplies.com/
Post 8 IP   flag post
I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
For my Canadian peeps, I've been using a particular manufacturer out of Hamilton, Ontario, called Comic Pro Line (they have great deals when you buy in bulk of 1,000 and free shipping on orders over $100)
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector oakcitycomics private msg quote post Address this user
@MurrayC I'm in the USA and still buy from them. Even if you spend less then $100 shipping is cheap.

Last weeks order as an example.
For 300 board and bags shipping was $13 to North Carolina then online there are a dozen or so coupon codes that will take off $7.40 making shipping even cheaper. Or if you just want bags you can go upto 1200. After that the next shipping tier is $22 and by that point your cart is probably close enough to $100 you might as well go ahead and stock up.

The key to CPL is to buy when on sale. Which they do about 3 times a month. They are a company of habit when it comes to the sales. So it will typically be a buy 2 get 1 free then a week later it will be individual items on sale for the same cost break down as the buy 2 get 1 free. This is when you buy as this sale allows the use of a coupon code. The buy 2 get 1 free sale acts like a coupon code so it either removed the deal or wont let you use a coupon.

That's what I do anyways. Last week 24pt boards were $7.76 and OPP bags were $4.80. I purchased 300 of each then with shipping and discount code (captain) my total came to $43.28 shipped.

Now if I was to buy from Matt's it would of cost me $51.82

They also mix in a 10% off day about once a month making their mylars $20 for a pack of 100 vs e.gerber packs of 50

Either company you cant go wrong with to be 100% honest. I personally prefer OPP bags over regular poly bags as they don't wrinkle or yellow like poly bags do over time. Plus OPP bags have very close clarity similar to Mylars so the books when mixed in a box don't look out of place.

I do order from Matts so I'm not totally biased for one or the other, but only for their comic short/ long boxes and mailers.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
If you use these, you will get the best protection and you will never have to replace bags or boards again.

I have unopened Golden Age size versions of these for sale, if anyone is interested. Also have standard Silver Age BCW boards too.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by x860x
I like silver bags and boards for everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

I prefer standard/Silver size Mylar for all books (from silver to later of course) I like the extra buffer around the edges and provide a little bit of room for thicker books. I prefer half-backs for all around use as well. if I feel I need the support of a full-back then I just double up.

It sounds not picky when we explain what size bag and board thickness we use and for what, but Mylar bags do not flex or stretch like poly bags. A standard comic will fit just in one combo while a thicker annual or special will be too tight in the same bag/board.
Post 12 IP   flag post
618083 12 12